Shadowrun Pub

• May 08, 2024, 10:22:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Next New Century  (Read 26440 times)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:The Next New Century
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2006, 08:25:55 PM »

You really have to wonder why ANYONE would summon a Force 1 anything. Hell, just manifesting to get its instructions counts as its favor and then it takes off. What a jip.

Gabriel (I REALLY hate fire elementals)
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2006, 03:15:30 PM »

Having a spirit appear to give it an order does not count as a favor. At least, any reasonable GM wouldn't.

Ever see what 6 force 1 fire elementals do in melee combat? Sure, they don't have but 3-4 dice for attack max, but they get -5 for "friends in melee" for each attack. That's a guaranteed deadly wound 6 times...
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2006, 07:56:16 AM »

Still seems if you hit the lot of them with a car; it'd probibly do the whole bunch of them in.

-RuskiFace the pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2006, 02:24:03 PM »

That depends really on how fast the car was going. To do deadly damage to something considered hardened you'd have to be going really fast. Even disrupting them physically wouldn't stop the summoner from recalling them.

Imagine rolling Conjuring 6 against a target number of 1. You'd smoke the drain 1L easily, you'd only spend 6,000 nuyen on materials (less if you made them yourself) You'd only spend 1 hour drawing the ritual circle, and 1 hour on each elemental to summon, and you'd end up with at least 4-5 favors for each elemental. Significantly more "bang for your buck" considering only rolling 1 or 2 successes on a significantly more powerful force 6 elemental.

The target numbers stay the same if you go for force 2 elementals, twice the time and cost involved but with more potent spirits. So perhaps the best type of "horde spirit" is force 2. They get 4 points of armor against normal weapons, a combat pool of 4, and a natural attack roll of 2. They're generally faster than most unaugmented people with a base initiative of 12.

Remember also, that not only are lower force spirits easier to summon, but they are also less detectable and blend in with their summoner's aura better. I knew a street-mage who always loaded up on high-power spirits, fetishes, foci, the works. But he never realized that packing all that mojo makes you light up like a Christmas tree on the astral. I'd rather have my 3 points of automatic spirit/focus Masking give me 3 force 1 distractions with 6 favors each, than a half-concealed rating 6 monster. Discretion is always a necessity in this game.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2006, 03:22:27 PM »

yea, it's tough to pretend to be a air-conditioning repairman when you have the equivilant of a nuclear missle stuck through your astral belt-loops.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »

Exactly!

If you know you're not going to need that Limited Flame Armor spell or that extra Spirit focus, don't bring it with you!

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2006, 06:30:45 AM »

You know, we once summoned a force 3 wind spirit, Materialized it, and oured a helmet full of Gamma-Scoploamine into the little guy then sent him through a camp full of Salish regular army. That one spirit dropped two dozen troopers in one favor. Never underestimate the power of a low-powered spirt.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2006, 08:55:47 AM »

hmm... very clever.

although I'm not sure the use of chemical weapons is a good idea...

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2006, 09:13:40 AM »

Well at the time it was all we had. I really didn't expect them to take out the troopers. I figured they would create a diversion or something. They got extra karma for that plan.

Gabriel

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2006, 10:13:31 AM »

Yea, I'd give my PC's extra Karma for coming up with something like that too.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2006, 12:09:30 PM »

although I'm not sure the use of chemical weapons is a good idea...

Er... biological weapons IIRC.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2006, 02:36:42 PM »

Either way.

but, if you are sitting naked in a ditch, and all you have with you equipment wise is a german army helmet filled with the latest nuro-stun VXXIV, you gotta do what you gotta do.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2006, 08:28:41 AM »

Spirits with telekinetic abilities are very nice.

I still remember playing with The Big Surge with my gaming group. He used a greater form sea spirit to "move" him on his surfboard at 60mph and use it's Storm powers on an off-shore oil rig taken over by pirates. It was cool.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2006, 11:32:33 AM »

You just have to think outside of the box from time to time.

Gabriel

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2006, 01:24:42 PM »

Well, needless to say, a series of force 2 Sea spirits (remember you can summon multiple greater form nature spirits) can be very nasty for any of the people standing on the outside part of the oil platform...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7632 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.