Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 11:35:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re:And all old is new again....  (Read 3150 times)

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
Re:And all old is new again....
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:09:45 PM »

Nothing quite like that, got Fear for the PC and using it as excuse to try and upgrade my box.. spent last couple days talking to gamer friends on best place to get new motherboard, processor, and vid card, found good processor and motherboard at fries, proccess was 2.4 gig hertz for about 60, and mother boards about 50.. but friends checking some sites and other places to see if can find one with a good built in card..
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 01:23:31 PM »

if you are rebuilding now, i wouldn't look at anything that dosnt' have PCI-Express

you can get a built in video card if you want to save a couple of bucks, but really, seeing as how you'll have to throw money at it now anyways, you can pick up a PCI-E video card that's pretty amazing for about $40 online.
(and if you decide to pump it up later, all the latest and gratest cards are running PCI-E)

as far as sites go: www.directron.com is decent, and the shipping is cheap if you have access to a commercial address.

www.newegg.com is also pretty good, watch for specials.

-RuskiFace the PIrate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 05:27:35 AM »

good call ruski. Those things are starting to take over. And what's funny is that the makers's snuck those things in. I just heard of them about 2 months ago.
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:45:15 AM »

They've been arround for awhile. personally; I'm all over the 'dual-core' PC's at the moment. I built my first one last month. (it's pretty sweet) but if you are building a bargin-box, it's not the way to go.

but even on a bargan box, you should be able to get PCI-E

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 08:03:40 PM »

I've got a couple friends that have duel core, suweeeeet!
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 05:21:47 AM »

Not te get off on a tangent r anything (yeah, right), but what is the advantage to something like that??

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:26:41 AM »

maybe we should just cut the thread up and move this part over to the Technoweenies section?
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 05:55:29 AM »

You have the power, ROOTless. Use it wisely.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 08:32:34 AM »

*shrug* I'm happy with it here; but someone else can move it if other people are getting mad about it.

Dual core works like this:

ever have two windows opened at the same time?

like... your music playing in the background... while you have MSWord up to work on your book report... and another window for the internet google research page you are plagerizing?

well, if you have one processer, you use something called timeslice. it thinks about each window for an equil amount of time. a fraction of a milisecond here, fraction of a millisecond there... and it just rotates through everything.
but, in effect, for every window you have open, you are cutting your processor in half.

now, enter: dual core.

you have your timesheet in front of you, with a schedule of what you worked, and an e-mail client open to send the letter when you are done with it to your boss. in the background you are compiling a program, downloading a huge program, installing some new software, or running a compression algorythem on your backup files. is it super slow? Nope. processer #1 gets maxed out with the big background process of death, and the rest of your system switches over to processer #2.

they've had dual, quad, and even eight processer systems out for a long time. (normally on servers) but with people becoming more in tune with their technology, multi-tasking isn't just something that geeks do any more.

in other news; if you really want to get your geek-on, you need an SLI motherboard. that's beyond the realm of normal costs for most people though. (but if you want a state of the art system that makes the X-Box 360 look like a cereal-box in compared to raw processing power, there's not better way to go at it.

SLI lets you run two video cards. bouth PCI-E
you can push up to 4 monitors (8 if you get a multiplexer) you can have up to two gig of deticated video memory, and the higher end video cards typically run with eight processers. (times two for two cards, that's sixteen processers, two gigs of the fastest ram on the planet, and a sesemee seed bun; all pushing forward the most amazingly awsome graphics technology ever invented.
granted; thoes video cards cost about a grand each, and you'll need two of them, and the motherboards that support SLI aren't super cheap either... and if you are going to get that sort of system, you may as well double your video memory in real ram. and you should probibly use dual-rate DDR3, and you'll need a dual-core processer to keep it all running. all that power is going to draw some serious heat, so you'll have to keep it cooled with a liquid cooling system... etc etc etc.
all and all, it caps out at about $8K
you could probibly put together a system running SLI for about $2K, and the dual-core system I put together just hit under the $400 mark (it was an upgrade though, just got the mo-bo, processer, and a gig of ram)

so it's more about what's in your budget.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 12:47:27 AM »

well.. heres the kicker.. im working on limited budget.. 200 total, and possibly less... im at 600+ more or less bank saved and frigging jobs seem rare and hard to find here.. But bout time i upgraded my computer with all the work i have been doing with it. that and a frigging year in JC with LITERALLY NOTHING TO FRAGGING DO FOR EVERY BLASTED DAY..... leaves one wanting for at least something they can distracted somewhat...
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 12:07:29 PM »

Well, if you've got more time than money; there's quite a bit you can do.
considering that you are starting from an already functional platform; for $200, you could look into tracking down the fastest processer that your motherboard supports, the most amount of ram your motherboard supports, and putting the last $100 into some new perefrials, monitor, keyboard, or mouse. there are a lot of bargan spots you can shop at, and I bet you could pick up some deals if you had the time to look.
www.google.com is a good place to just start looking and looking and looking.
refine your search, write down the site and price untill you find someplace that's got the best price you've ever seen on what you are looking for. (try to limit it to REAL places, as opposed to E-Bay)
just put time into it.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 08:39:02 AM »

So, whatever happend to that system being built?

-RuskiFace the Pirate

did you go with a memory upgrade? what did you get for $200?
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7400 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 17 queries.