Shadowrun Pub

• May 14, 2024, 04:03:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Nanotech  (Read 21536 times)

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
Re:Nanotech
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2006, 07:21:41 AM »

I think they do... but it's pretty much limited to the desert combat campaigns.

not a lot of use for a mech walking arround the city... why pay $2 million for a pilotable aurthoform, when you can hire a troll for brute labor?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

AJStarhiker

• Runner
  • I much prefer ice and snow to sand and rock.
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2006, 08:05:48 AM »

probably why I didn't know about it.  I don't know much about the desert campaigns

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »

Well, that and I think they want to preserve the look of a future that is possible and not too anime. As for theDesert Wars, the only place you get any decent information about that is Target: Wastelands in the Desert section, and even then it's a bit sparse. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though, I've never seen a modual that dealt with it.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2006, 02:04:39 PM »

but if you wanted to... you could put a couple of mechs out there and pit them aghinst some poor shadowrunners.

-Ruski
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2006, 10:08:53 AM »

I believe I wrote something a while back about Anthroform vehicles. They're about the size of an SUV (Vehicle Body of 4) and their quality varies from very basic to highly developed. The most advanced models substitute servos and hydraulics for bundles of piezo-electric memory polymer strands that act like giant muscles.

The closest thing in canon to a mobile suit of armor is the JIM diving suit. The JIM suit can be adapted for VCR and so negates it's movement penalties. However, the rules don't state whether or not the exoskeleton can be used on land. I'd wager it can, however, since the JIM suit is designed to travel at depths well below human tolerances. A mobile suit of armor however, would require consistent charging and behind the scenes logistics in order to be useful.

My previous thread, about custom vehicles, stated that the HAFV (Heavy AnthroForm Vehicle) or Halves were developed for special dropship combat in mixed terrain environments. That is to say, something that can walk, dodge, crawl, duck and climb and still sport heavy vehicle armor in nearly any kind of terrain is very useful. The most extensive testing of Halves was done during a Desert Wars special broadcast, including the new campaigns inside the Gobi Desert.

Currently, a fibre-optic system is being developed for integration in some Halves so that mages can provide full-squad back up for assault. These systems follow the line of thought for Ares' developments in static security defenses. The penalties for using these systems are high, so only talented magicians need apply.

HAFVs use Walker skill for vehicle tests. Melee combat is handled with the Mechanical Arm skill listed in Rigger 3, save for melee weapons, which use their base skills with combat pool/control pool limited by the Mechanical Arm skill. Martial Arts may be used in conjunction with HAFVs, but the vehicle must be both Rigged and incorporate the Smart Materials design option. Other Halves are not articulate enough in scope to incorporate natural body motion in order to use martial arts. Adept powers such as Improved Skill do not apply directly, but they do apply in the case of Improved Mechanical Arms or Improved Walker skills.

Arm-mounted Weapons, with an articulated finger-trigger use their equivalent skill based on their design, combat pool is limited also by the Mechanical Arms skill in this case. For example, the Ares H-A Lord Hunter, is a massive pistol design that looks like the Predator's big mama, uses the pistols skill. Shoulder and body-mounted weapons use the Gunnery skill as before. Ranged weapons held in mechanical hands also gain the benefit of smart-links (if adapted) but not sensor-aided gunnery.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »

That's a very well thought out system you've got there...

I may have to steal it sometime...

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2006, 10:56:08 AM »

Yeah right, you probably already have, Pirate-Boy. ;)

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2006, 11:15:36 AM »

yea... but only a copy.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2006, 11:49:09 AM »

Thanks, I modified it a little bit from my previous rules, to make them more fluid. Instead of limiting your raw skill for combat, your general effectiveness via combat pool is limited instead, making you a sitting duck, in relative terms.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »

a sitting duck... with five metric tons of armor.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2006, 05:32:14 PM »

You know Frank.. Those ADPS rounds are good.. But I think we might need something a tad bit stronger.. No, no i dont think they are bad rounds, its just they dont fit all situations, like you dont need them for hunting ducks, and sometimes you just need something with a bit more punch.... No! this isnt about that time you shot my dog! Im just saying, for something with that much armor, we might need some slightly stronger bullets!!!
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2006, 05:45:46 PM »

*pauses and reads over his post... then shrugs and continues on* Never got weird enough for me.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2006, 07:26:56 PM »

Most melee weapons supplied for use by HAFVs uses normal melee damage rules. Blunt weapons do very little damage, but their capacity to knockdown targets and smash hardened surfaces makes them nasty. Edged HAFV weapons are often Dikoted to make them more effective in anti-vehicle combat. However, doing so nearly triples the price of the weapon. The mechanical arms on Halves have an effective strength of 16, with additional modifications, this can be increased further. Remember, that since melee weapons do not count as anti-vehicular damage, armor and body count double for resistance tests, so even this 16 Strength means little against a vehicle with 4 body and 4 armor. This is where a skilled pilot comes in, evading and disengaging an opponent to catch them off guard to deny them Pool dice or place themselves in advantageous position.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2006, 07:53:09 AM »

it's all about death from above.

-RuskiFace the Pirate DFA!
6 X 9 = 42

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2006, 01:10:11 PM »

Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7694 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.