Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 10:32:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Melania: Shidim Plot  (Read 8225 times)

Retread

• Runner
Re:Melania: Shidim Plot
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 06:47:41 AM »

If it's a spirit, or a horror construct (as I suspect they are) then they are indeed bound by something. Without their masters around they can be given a Name, and when given a name, they are susceptible to manipulation...

On another note, notice that Master Shedim do not possess artists or software designers, do you know why? These constructs have no creative spirit, at all.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 08:54:39 AM »

Again, you'r talking ED here, not SR. As far as I know, there have only been two Master Shedim listed in the canon rulebooks/sourcebooks in any event. You have Ibn Al Whats-his-name, and the one in Threats two, who is named, but whose name I have forgotten. As I remember it, the one in Threats 2 was a corporate accountant or something. So I don't think creativity has anything to do with it. Since they possess a body after it is already dead, personality of the deceases seems to be totally irrelevant. I don't think ED thinking would really apply to these things.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2006, 01:58:34 PM »

Eh, the Horrors created constructs using Corrupt Unlife. These constructs can inhabit dead bodies. However, even the horrors and their constructs are psycho-sensitive, so prolonged exposure to people can aspect them. Since constructs require much less mana to maintain, it's plausible that they are here in a low mana time.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 09:07:06 AM »

Or perhaps it's a return of all the oldest sins, only in new and improved ways?

-Ruski
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »

Perhaps. If you want to be technical, we'd both be right, since in order for a Horror to create Unlife, it has to absorb Karma. In order to do that, they must bond through negative emotion, through violence, brutality, raw lust and any other variety of sins. So essentially, they use sin to create Constructs.

Anyone remember that Deus' inventions were always called "Constructs?" Makes you wonder...

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2006, 05:17:50 AM »

Not really. He constructed them. Deus was a program, not a spirit. That's why he was called and Artificial Intelligence, and not a Horror, or whatever theose ED things are called.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2006, 06:44:39 AM »

I know I know, I was merely noting the dichotomy between the two.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2006, 07:44:22 AM »

hehehehehehe you said dic...

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2006, 08:35:32 AM »

So, Retread, do you want to smite Ruski for that or should I??? ;)

Gabriel

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2006, 12:56:33 PM »

Why don't both of you? It's not like he couldn't take the hit.

Actually, I think it was interesting that Deus called his programs 'constructs' -I mean, with the advent of Augmented Reality, we're seeing more and more paralells between technomancers and spell-slingers.

Who's to say an AI isn't just another form of a free spirit, only rarer and locked into the Matrix?

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2006, 01:35:53 PM »

*cough*
horror
*cough*

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2006, 02:49:02 PM »

Eh, indeed, the nature of AI is very elusive. Deus could be considered a free spirit, given his nearly immortal nature, incredible power, and nearly divinative forethought. However, his origins while mundane, are the result of the environment it was created in, much like how a Nature spirit reflects its environment, however, when a spirit goes free, it often requires an X-factor, much like an AI, that imprints its "personality" Deus is probably a Shadow Player type of spirit, his actual "type" should remain unqualified.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2006, 05:39:49 AM »

See, I totaly disagree with this. It's like saying my toaster is a bound elemental of the Toast Plane and if I were to unplug it and give it an X-Factor, it MIGHT become a free Toaster Spirit. Deus is a program, run on computers and existing as data. It does not exist on a plane other than this one, because it is a machine. AR just makes that halucination more real to the viewer. It niether creates, nor validates the existance of, a separate plane of existance.

Gabriel

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2006, 06:39:09 AM »

Yes,  now consider the Metaplane of Spirits of Man, would that plane exist without people? So if that plane's existence is the responsibility of man, couldn't you say the same of the Matrix? I mean, you can DIE there, it doesn't get more real than that, bon homme.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2006, 08:30:39 AM »

of course; we can 'turn off' Deus.

can we turn off the spirits of man?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7407 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 15 queries.