Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 07:40:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EarthDawn questions..  (Read 2933 times)

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
EarthDawn questions..
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:58:05 AM »

Ok... seeing as how its almost impossible to make some posts without hearing about Earthdawn, my curiousity finally overcame me, searching an rpg book site called FRPGames.com i found the core and companion books for 2nd edit ED for about... 53 bucks total, brand new (at least so i've been told). I ordered it with express shipping.. onlyto find their site was wrong and they didnt have any of the books at the time (i've been told they were getting a new order yesterday and should be sending it then) and i mjust kinda curious now what kinda stuff i can expect in these books?

i've got some general ideas about the horrors and what like that.. but how much does it really mixx with shadowrun, or are they technically mut-exclu?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
Re:EarthDawn questions..
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:41:14 AM »

The game mechanics aren't compatible though I guess a bit of tinkering wouldhelp, if one could be bothered. I couldn't.
At first glance, the setting is very different, though you might want to compare the map of Barsaive with a map of Ukraine and surrounding. If you pick up the Theran Empire Sourcebook, comparisons are pretty heavyhandedly clear.
Once you start looking at the magic theory and the details, you will notice that many of the ideas carry over. They even have a sort of magical cyberware, based on blood magic.

ED is Fantasy, and in my (not so very humble) opinion one of the best around.
The mechanics are pretty easy to learn, and flow nice and smoothly once people have picked up the concept of 'steps'. It uses a variety of dice, not just the D6 of SR fame.
Prepare to be fairly heroic though.

There's even a build-in motivator for the players to keep notes of 'what happened last time', so that you don't have to remindthem. Not sure if it made the cut to be included in the 2nd ed core books though.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 02:02:05 AM »

Cool, if at the least its something new to read and play. the shadowrun games going well, must say its very satisfying to kill off all the little assholes and idiots who force their way into the game (one of them actually went to the managers crying about discrimination because i wouldnt let him join the game, the reason i wouldnt let him is because he wanted cyber netic legs that would let him run faster then light, and a knife that when you stabbed someone it automaticly infected their cyberware with a virus that made it glitch and explode),

luckly after i was forced to allow him to join, one of my other players with a rather interisting character, (Troll Physad, mosh pitter, used the little background concept in the book that runners might go on runs sometime to save up cash for the new troll rock album or to go to concerts) introduced the guy to the small concept that, "little dogs bark, big trolls snap you in half like a tooth pick" soon after the guy left in a huff and the manager who made me let the guy in got a talking to from the GM about stuff like that. I like our GM. shes nice.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 05:03:37 AM »

Cool.

Drop a note when you recieve the books, eh.

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:44:08 AM »

Well, it should be today, i'll find out around noon or so... the post office doesnt open until 9, and even then they dont really get anything until later in the day... if it doesnt get here soon im gonna have to call them and have a little talk.. it kinda sucks to pay 10 bucks for express shipping.. then have to wait almost... 2 weeks now for the books. pending on how this goes they may gain a customer, or lose as many as i can talk to and convince.

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »

The book is here!

well.. kinda.. the post office isnt really much of a post office,its kinda a relay so employees can get their mail and it opens at 9 in the morning.. they tried to deliver the book at about... 8:50 in the morning.. so... yeah.. monday im gonna camp out infront of the place early in hopes that it shows up and i can get it. they finally sent it on the 22nd. and it showed the 25th.. so im kinda hoping that means they are good.. i might order one more book (leaving amessage asking to make sure its in stock) and see if that works out better then this.

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 02:07:14 PM »

Woot! Ok. books are finally here.. havent really got a chance to read them over unfortinatly... and i gotta get some sleep soon to get ready for work.. but i'll be able to get a read in over last couple hours. Got to read over the Horrors section some... yeah.. hehe, deffinatly not something to toss at my characters in my SR game right now by sending them to the crater.. But by the end of the season might just do an end of the runn where they get to do a detonation on the lodge and dorms at least, heh, taking out that RL frustration in IC.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 12:43:24 AM »

Horrors are fun, for the GM.
And a lot less scary when you have access to large amounts of platic explosives and AVMs.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 10:43:03 AM »

Most things are less scary when you have plastique and AVMs. ;D

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 12:21:11 PM »

This is entirely true, though certain things become a whole lot more scary when you have plastique and AVMs, and they turn out to be entirely unaffected.

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 06:17:13 PM »

Heheh, Also fairly scary when the minor great dragon (small side char inmy story who i think will be the one directiong them to the crater eventally...) suddenly decides that there is something over "there" *points at a very wide area* when group got their first taste of a horror;3 just little custom made home one. had some fun putting in a kinda panic system i worked out.. seeing something like that they all had to rol willpower, good roll means you get a lesser effect, bad roll worse effect, and rather then work out a list and make them roll, just had them pull slips from diff containers depending on how they did, each with diffrent effect in them, like.. they can use only their strongest weapons and attacks recklessly (small penalty) in an attempt to get rid of something that "shouldnt be" others could only attack at the maximum range of their weapon, or stuff like that, others paniced, went catatonic, or so forth. worked out fairly well, and couple people ended up blowing a good portion of their expensive ammo, not to mention quite abit of the surrounding area.. two guys had the attack from longest range slips.. one was melee guy, the other was a mage, and we got kinda confused on how to handle that considering magical ranges.. eventually just went with it, and by the time got to "max" range the fight was over. heheh. fight ended ok, no casulties, though lots of injuries and couple people in need of either new parts, or replacement parts. They liked the chase scene where they had to get away from lonestar, the body disolved melting the ground under it as the only sign it was there.. and consideing the equipment they blew (which helped get rid of some of the overpowering ammo and weapons they had) they werent gettign away with a simple slap on the wrist.. well.. maybe if the slap was done with a hammer.. a really big one.

Either way it turned out ok.. i made the monster stronger then i ment to, but it helped get the idea across that these are things you dont really want to go head to head with enless you know you got the advantage, as if the creature tearing through the fabric of reality with its own six hands/claws/tentacles (which spawned the quote of the game.. one guys chars said to one of the girls "You know.. with all the tentacles that thing has you might want to start wearing a bit more clothing.." he got extra karma for that.)

anyways, turned out pretty good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7398 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.