Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 11:56:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming SR PC/XBOX360 game...  (Read 5292 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re:Upcoming SR PC/XBOX360 game...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:06:46 PM »

All across the forums, the reaction has been pretty hostile.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic, because if they do this game, and it does well at all, Microsoft is going to put more money into Shadowrun games, which means more, better Shadowrun games.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:24:21 AM »

Then perhaps it would be a good thing for tis game to come out.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

AJStarhiker

• Runner
  • I much prefer ice and snow to sand and rock.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 12:08:19 PM »

In other words: Buy it to encourage better games?

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 12:47:21 PM »

You know, I just had a thought about how you could do a Shadowrun MMORPG. The biggest problem with converting this kind of game into a massive RPG is that Shadowrun tends to take place behind the scenes. You do the job you're hired to do, and try to make sure NO ONE finds out. Unfortuantly, this kind of genre doesn't really lend itself to large parties, quests, and the like.

But how about setting up a game where you could be either a runner OR a corporate/military asset like a security rigger, or wage mage, or corporate samurai? You could have your PC playing as the "bad guy" against other runners. Watcha think??

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

AJStarhiker

• Runner
  • I much prefer ice and snow to sand and rock.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »

That could be interesting.  Or how 'bout working for LoneStar or on border patrol or something?

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 04:27:24 PM »

Yeah, the people heckling at the forums there seem to be pretty agreed that they want a MMORPG and nothing else. Which strikes me as odd, seeing as how MMORPGs tend to lend themselves to goldfarming and a lot of other unsavory habits.

Plus, a game has to be a proven franchise before a company will sink in the millions necessary to build the servers and do the programming and testing necessary for an MMO game.

See: D&D Online. After something in the realm of 40 years of abuse in the computer world, D&D finally got an MMO. An MMO that is fun and actually makes me want to play D&D more often (I'm currently down to once, maybe twice a month).

I'm not sure how a Shadowrun game would need to be structured to keep everyone happy, but it seems to me that in order to bring in the greatest number of fans, you'd need a popular gametype (such as an FPS) to appeal to people who knew (Or know) nothing about Shadowrun. I'm afraid that if they did make a Shadowrun MMO, it would turn out like Star Wars Galaxies, and suck so much ass that people who used to like star wars would stop playing it.

Anyway, I'm just stuck at school until my next class starts...

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 05:42:47 AM »

Well if you look at history here, wasn't the Sega Shadowrun game an FPS?? I know the Super NES was a quest game. So I guess it makes sense to have an FPS for a MMO-scale audiance. And who knows, they may toss in some really wiz music and background story/effects/fluff and have a winner.

Gabriel

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:47:39 AM »

The Sega one was closer to the real game mechanics and it was a top-down action-rpg. It used the real corps from the game and the real matrix rules from 1st edition. You even get to meet the Laughing Man.

The saddest part (I'm guessing) about this game is that it was probably designed by someone who never even played Shadowrun so they've probably thrown the mechanics right out the fraggin' window.

If they were gonna go with this, they should have done it Deus Ex style with weapon skills that affect the "jitter" of your weapon and how quickly the targeting reticle will lock will squeeze when you stand still. The essence thing should be representative of your magic skill and your ability to be healed.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 10:40:31 AM »

I prefer overview, I hate FPS games so am unlikeyl to try/endorse any of that ilk.
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 10:24:30 PM »

I don't see how you'd do an MMORPG with Shadowrun, it just wouldn't er... fit. The only way it'd really work is if most of the game was instanced with NPC databases or you made it so the game took place in Seattle (another thing being that the real city of Seattle would have a great deal to say about a massive game defaming their city) and limited movement outside of it.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 07:08:23 AM »

I'm thinking this is just not feasible (sp). Oh well, back to WoW, Jester. ;)

Gabriel

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 12:19:36 PM »

Honestly, I can't think of anything more horrifying (a first person shooter Shadowrun game included) than a bunch of runners 'goldfarming.'

"Mr. Johnson on 6th gives PH47 13W7!"

Nothing could possibly kill my enthusiasm for an MMO Shadowrun game than the reality of what it would become. It seems so perfect in my head, but I know that's not how things would turn out.

I actually like the direction they're taking this- they're introducing new players to the story, so rather than dumping them in 2070, and saying "Well, you should have bought the last 20 years worth of sourcebooks!" they're giving new players a chance to feel like part of the world.

I mean, I would love to play a game, even a squad-based First Person Shooter, where you got to be part of the Nightwraith Incident. How cool would that be?

-KV
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 12:56:44 PM »

Not as cool as being on the Ares team that detonates the tac-nuke inside the bug hive in Chicago.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »

Or the one person who knows what REALLY happened during the Lone Eagle Incident. But yeah, being in Chitown when the nuke went off would be pretty damn cool, at least from a gaming stand point that is.

Gabriel
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7407 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 17 queries.