Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 10:10:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming SR PC/XBOX360 game...  (Read 5291 times)

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re:Upcoming SR PC/XBOX360 game...
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 04:47:48 PM »

hahahaha... that would be cool, although it might dissapoint gamers who got really into the game and then got to the ending of "Rocks fall and everybody dies!"

But you guys are getting the thread of what I'm saying. There are cool things that they could do with a squad based shooter.

Here's a trailer:

Shadowrun Game Trailer
(This page is loading weird- you have to click the first link right below the video)

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 08:54:41 PM »

Judging by that trailer, I'd say this game is about the second Locus.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »

Second Locus?

Please, explain, Retread.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 06:47:38 AM »

The Locus is an ancient Earthdawn artifact that channels mana. A Locus was found in Aztlan and is what the Blood Mage, Darke, used in the mini-plot "Harlequin's Back" to attempt to summon "the Enemy" from the other side of reality. It is a very very powerful artifact from ages ago. The mana level is presumably too low, which is why the Azzies built Teocalli in a network to channel natural and sacrifice mana across the breadth of Aztlan to activate the Locus itself.

Presumably, this second Locus is the one that Amazonia (theoretically) has/wants to acquire. Specifically, to keep it out of the hands of the Azzies who would do nothing good with it.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Goliath

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 12:34:22 PM »

hahahaha... that would be cool, although it might dissapoint gamers who got really into the game and then got to the ending of "Rocks fall and everybody dies!"

But you guys are getting the thread of what I'm saying. There are cool things that they could do with a squad based shooter.

Here's a trailer:

Shadowrun Game Trailer
(This page is loading weird- you have to click the first link right below the video)

-kv

That would be cool a good story line based in with a squad based shooter,  Any one play the new ghost Recon game yet?  This would have been a great shadow run game.... also if they were to put in stealth based shooter missions.  Maybe at the end of one chapeter when your using one of the street sams in the group.. he sacrafices himeself to save the rest of the team... you play the whole mission and when you "finish" the level it cuts t a cust scean or somthign with some intence music... it shows the street Sams finishing off lots of people and he finally gets whacked but not before the gets the decker out with the important data, he has downloaded into his headwear storage device.

Thats the one thing that bothers me about this new game,  its lacking single player game!

Poison

• Toxic Adept
  • Runner
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 07:48:17 AM »

Having just played a session of City of Heroes tonight, I can see that a Shadowrun game could work in that format.  The major issue would be in trying to keep people from going beserk and being overt in their missions, which could be combatted somewhat by implementing a server-run Lone Star force that actually came after PCs who disturbed the peace (or carried obvious weaponry in public).
As for keeping the amount of money down, I'm sure a system of paying for lifestyle could be implemented to syphon extra funds from people so they value the money they earn.

My other preference for a game would be a FPS.

The main thing is that, unlike many of the other games around, the focus wouldn't be on combat - or at least not solely on combat.  One of the major parts of SR is the legwork and talking to your contacts.

Either way, I reckon Retread's idea of being inside the Containment Zone would really kick hoop.  Ferreting out hives, running for or against warlords... all in a justified contained area.
But yes, you'd have to be able to play it single-player too.
~:poison: ~

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 06:27:58 AM »

That would be cool a good story line based in with a squad based shooter,  Any one play the new ghost Recon game yet?  This would have been a great shadow run game.... also if they were to put in stealth based shooter missions.

Yeah, I played it. It's a good game, but it seems pretty far removed from Shadowrun. They'd have to do a lot of work on the engine to adapt it, expecially considering that there aren't any real NPC interactions aside from, well, shooting.
"There goes one of God's own prototypes, some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production . . . too weird to live, and too rare to die." — Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 04:40:35 AM »

I believe a Shadowrun game should be a turn-based strategy game that goes in and out of real-time like Jagged Alliance or Fallout Tactics.

Poison

• Toxic Adept
  • Runner
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 03:07:34 AM »

I believe a Shadowrun game should be a turn-based strategy game that goes in and out of real-time like Jagged Alliance or Fallout Tactics.
Just out of curiosity, why do you see this as being important?

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 03:27:33 PM »

How do you mean?

Shadowrun is not a "real-time" game. There are stops and initiative. For example, in a first person shooter, wired reflexes are impossible to emulate. In a turn-based strategy game, the turns would begin and initiative would be rolled as per normal. The higher initiative gets more actions, etc.

A first person shooter is clunky for genuine Shadowrun game mechanics and really doesn't follow the role-playing genre.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 04:31:45 PM »

Last I heard, they were planning for early 2040s, late 2030s.

So they're planning before the major advents of the matrix, before level three of any type of cyberwear was available, much less the more advanced systems that began to surpass wired reflexes as time progressed.

In any case, they have some interesting stuff planned- I'm curious how it'll all turn out.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Poison

• Toxic Adept
  • Runner
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 07:13:47 AM »

How do you mean?

Shadowrun is not a "real-time" game. There are stops and initiative. For example, in a first person shooter, wired reflexes are impossible to emulate. In a turn-based strategy game, the turns would begin and initiative would be rolled as per normal. The higher initiative gets more actions, etc.

A first person shooter is clunky for genuine Shadowrun game mechanics and really doesn't follow the role-playing genre.

Yes, a first-person shooter is limited in that fashion - particularly if it has any sort of multiplayer functionality.  However, Max Payne was able to implement a 'bullet time' feature that worked well in single-player.  Presumably something similar could be implemented to simulate the faster reflexes of those with enhancements... but this might get tedious for a whole game, so the user might need an option to switch them on and off.

Alternatively, actions implemented by an enhanced character could be done at twice or three-times the speed.

I guess it depends on personal preference.  A turn-based game would work well, but it would restrict the choice of interface.  I personally find it harder to immerse myself in a game if it breaks from real-time, but that;s just me.

Anyway, I agree that some POV are less suited to aspects of Shadowrun, and I suppose the designers would need to make a call on what they saw as the most important.

Thanks for answering my question  :)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006, 10:00:33 PM »

Well, you tell me. How well can you get into a PnP game where it takes people 20 minutes of real-time to dole out 9 seconds of combat?

Poison

• Toxic Adept
  • Runner
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 03:05:53 AM »

Touché.

I could say that a PnP game has other elements, such as getting together with other players, that aren't normally present in turn-based computer games - but I'm not sure that would be one of the main reasons we play SR.

As far as the timing goes... I haven't played many games that make a point of exactly how long it takes to perform actions.  The passage of in-game time is usually indicative and approximate anyway.
Certainly the PnP game works well as turn-based.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 09:11:05 PM »

I can see why turn-based strategy is abandoned for real-time strategy but a role-playing environment scrapped for an FPS just boggles my mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7406 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.