Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 07:05:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Decker Questions  (Read 5610 times)

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Decker Questions
« on: May 20, 2006, 12:19:47 PM »

Hey everyone.

As I already mentioned in the Magic thread, I'm teaching a group of new players Shadowrun, and they've been asking me a lot of questions that I hadn't thought of or didn't remember the rules for, so I buckled down and dove into the rulebook, and I'm making pretty good headway re-learning the rules and answering thier questions.

I have two players in that group playing mages, so I had to address thier questions first (and thier questions have given me some pretty good insights into magic that have helped me make a fun character, as well as some ideas of what to throw at my runners in the future.)

But now I have another player who wants to play a decker. I already know some about decking... but I'll admit, I don't really know much about the world of the deckers total. So this thread is for questions that I come up with while reading the rules, and hopefully y'all can answer my questions.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
Re:Decker Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »

Right.

My book's still out there though, so I'll stick to stuff from Matrix for now.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 04:30:32 PM »

No worries. I'm just reading the SR3, so any clarifications from Matrix would be a big help!

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 11:42:42 PM »

Matrix rules are pretty simple, compared to first edition (aka Matrix 1.0)

Keep in mind, everything is abstract.

Never forget: ACIFS (Access, Control, Index, Files, Slave)

It's always Computer + Hacking Pool (Subsystem - Utility) opposed by Host Rating (Detection Factor)

Even if the intruding icon's action succeeds the systems successes are STILL added to the Security Tally. Notably,

Detection Factor is (Masking + Sleaze) / 2

Whenever a host icon is crashed, the security tally increases by that program's rating unless the "death cry" is suppressed with 1 Detection Factor or 1 Hacking Pool (<- this is an optional rule from Matrix)

The best way to look at it is that the System is another decker with a computer skill equal to the system rating and the IC are programs that get loaded into memory to attack the intruding icon. So that Blaster IC isn't attacking the player; the Host is using the Blaster like a weapon to attack the intruder.

To simplify casual Matrix interactions, the decker is considered to get a number of actions equal to the number of matrix initiative dice - 1 + matrix reaction / 10. Therefore, if you had 4d6 + 11, you'd get 4 actions in one turn (3 seconds) That's pretty fast.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:36:36 AM »

You will want to maximize detection factor as hard as possibly, since each success the host scores against you counts for 2 purposes (as mentioned). They subtract from your own successes, and add directly to your security tally, which determines when more ICE will be send out to get you.

For this reason, I recommend that you seriously consider using the optional rules Retread mentions from Matrix, about suppressing ICE using hacking pool dice. I also strongly recommend suppressing each and every piece of ICE you 'kill', since the deathcry is usually enough to summon atleast one, occasionally more pieces of extra ICE to defeat you.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 08:01:39 AM »

Another optional rule allows you to increase your Detection factor on the fly by allocating hacking pool on a 2 for 1 basis. 2 hacking pool dice gives +1 detection factor up to a limit of +3 or 6 hacking pool dice. These dice are unavailable until the next Combat Turn when the hacking pool refreshes.

The other option is to buy a utility with the Stealth and Sneak options: One is for attack utilities and one for operational utilities.

These special options increase the size and subsequently cost of those programs.

The Stealth option for attack utilities will muffle the "death cry" of IC by a number of rating points equal to the Stealth rating. It's easier to explain by example: I buy an attack utility called Sniper Rifle, sniper rifle is an Attack S 6 program with rating 4 stealth on it. It's size is effectively 10x10x4 = 400 (I believe that's the attack multiplier) because it's design rating is 10 (6 + 1 for each additional stealth rating) When I use Sniper Rifle, which consequently, looks like a suppressed sniper rifle, it will crash a system icon and muffle 4 points of rating that would normally be added to the security tally. So if I crash that annoying Probe 6 IC that keeps generating more security tally it would added 2 to the security tally if I didn't supress it after crashing it with Sniper Rifle.

The Sneak option for operational utilities increases the effective detection factor of your icon when using that utility in a System test. It's design rating modifier is +2, so a rating 4 util with Sneak 1 would have a design rating equal to 6, sneak 2 is 8 and so on.

Pertinent to character creation

A decker character should allocate some knowledge skills to a set of skills called "System Familiarity" skills. These skills give the character an edge in certain systems in the form of additional hacking pool dice. There are a variety of system familiarity skills that cover different kinds of systems and hosts. For example: Banking, Satellite, Online Game, RTGs, LTGs, Accounting, Chokepoint, etc. Specializations of these skills are specific systems, like, Air Traffic Control (Los Angeles International)

To use System Familiarity, the first time the decker logs onto the the system the GM rolls their system familiarity against the host's/grids security rating. For every success the decker gets 1 additional hacking pool die. These skills give decker's much more differentiation than your standard lot, allowing two deckers in one group, one who specializes in intense combat inside Chokepoints, Killing Jars, and other highly secure systems and another who specializes in snooping for files, defeating encryption and manipulating data.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:55:01 PM »

If you plan to write your own programs, you will also want certain knowledge skills (like operational unitilities or white ICE to write up a prgramming plan before starting.

If you plan to buy all of your proggies you can forget about these, but you might well want o bring the brig cred stick.

In general, where magicians can spend any and al karma points they can find, deckers can fairly easily spend huge amounts of nuyen on upgrades for their decks (funny, where have they found inspiration for this do you think?).

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 05:37:50 PM »

Well, the White IC knowledge skill would only really be useful if you were into designing software for Hosts, perhaps it might be useful if you wanted to make a form of White IC that would appear to do it's job but fail at the appropriate time, etc. You'd have to get super-user access to do that, though.

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 11:16:18 PM »

ah but wouldnt white ic knowladge give you a clue as to how to construct grey and black ic
And how they operate
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 02:11:28 AM »

From a rules techinacal point of view, no, not really. Sorry.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 07:51:29 AM »

By all respects, grey IC generally resemble attack programs while Black IC are more like Blackhammer programs.

mercy

• Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »

just a random thought was just thinking if you knew how one was constructed you might be able to extrapulate

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »

Well, yes, and I can see your point, but again, the rules say no.

If you want an in-game (suggested) argument, think about how each kind of ICE works.

White ICE generally targets your icon. Your connection or software if you will.
Grey ICE generally targets your deck. The hardware of it.
Black ICE generally targets You. The Decker.

See the differance?

mercy

• Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 11:34:15 PM »

yep i do

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 11:55:56 AM »

Okay... whoa... this thread got all sorts of hijacked. ;D

Itsa' cool, though. Everyone can ask questions!

I was wondering- when it says in SR3 that non-lethal Black IC does 'mental' damage, they mean stun damage, right? But it's resisted with willpower?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7405 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 17 queries.