Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 01:26:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Decker Questions  (Read 5609 times)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
Re:Decker Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 01:45:58 PM »

Non-lehal damage in this case means STUN, yes.
As for resisting it with Willpower, it is explicitly stated on p. 230 (SR3) that they indeed do.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:21:24 PM by ROOTless »
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 03:26:53 PM »

So... utilities lower the target number of the system test by the rating of the utility, and then the decker's computer skill (or decker specalization) is rolled to figure out any successes?

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 08:29:17 PM »

Yes, plus any hacking pool allocated as such. Don't forget modifiers like damage too. This applies to OPERATIONS. That means stuff like "Download File" "Locate IC" et al.

Attacking is different, and the target number to "hit" is based on the legitimacy of the icon within the system relative to the Security Code of the host.

Code        Illegitimate     Legitimate
Blue               5                    2
Green            4                    3
Orange          3                    4
Red                2                    5

That means that an unauthorized icon will be harder to hit in a blue system while an authorized one will be easier to hit.

There are also maneuvers you can do in Cybercombat, these are Opposed tests with the maneuvering icon's Evasion vs. the maneuvered-upon's Sensor rating. If either are IC, the number used is the Security Rating. The target number for the maneuvering icon is reduced by the rating of it's Cloak utility, if active. The opposite's target number is reduced by the rating of it's active Lock-On utility.

The different maneuvers are listed on pg. 224-225 of SR3.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 12:14:09 AM »

So the target number to hit a legitimate icon (such as a program) on a green system is 2? And the target for an icon to attack the intruding decker is 5?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 05:39:15 AM »

Kid_Vid, if you want to have some real fun with Black IC, give your team a dose of the psychotropic black IC like Judas IC. I may have the name wrong, but the effect is that it programs the decker to leave clues as to his whereabouts. So your decker might get past the IC and get to the paydata, but he is tipping off the corporation the entire time and not even knowing that he is doing it. And, you can substitue certain mental and computer flaws for IC damage as well. Amnesia is a good one. So is Jack Itch.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 07:53:55 AM »

Woops!

I got that table wrong:

Security Code  To Hit Intruder         To Hit Legit
Blue                   6                                3
Green                5                                4
Orange              4                                5
Red                   3                                 6

So, to hit a legitimate icon in a blue system is easier because the system is easier to manipulate while an intruder is harder to hit because the system isn't designed for security but ease of use. Red systems are more secure and so are harder to damage and are geared towards high security. The blue and green system has lower processing power while the orange and red are high strength processors with cycles to spare detecting intruders and protecting it's own algorithms and such.

This table is listed on pg 224 of SR3.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 08:44:12 AM »

So... the target for IC to hit a decker would be 6? What's the decjker's target number to hit the IC? 3? The system rating?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 01:24:45 PM »

So... the target for IC to hit a decker would be 6? What's the decjker's target number to hit the IC? 3? The system rating?

On a Blue system: The decker would have a T# of 3 to hit the ICE, while the ICE would have a T# 6 to hit the decker (or the system would have a T# 6 to hit the decker with the ICE, depending on point of view).

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 06:37:50 PM »

So, where does the system rating come into play? Is that how many dice the system has for it's tests?

If so, what are examples, if not, why not? What numbers of dice are used instead?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 09:10:39 PM »

Okay, Danger_MOOSE the n00b decker is hacking into the public library host on 44th and Wiltshire. MOOSE gets access immediately, since it's a public node. He then wishes to see what kind of system it's running. So, I uses an Analyze Host operation. MOOSE rolls his Computer of 3 + 3 hacking pool against the host's Control Rating (which MOOSE's player does not know yet) minus his Analyze utility's rating of 3. He rolls 3 net successes so MOOSE's checks the security (BLUE 3) and two subsystems, Control (8) and Files (10). In reality the ACIFS of the host is (9/8/8/10/9) The host scored one success in the last test, so MOOSE's security tally is 1 (he does not know this, only the GM does. He can perform an Analyze Security operation if he wishes to know)

MOOSE wants to prove he's something so he decides to vandalize the online card catalog. He automatically finds the catalog because access is allowed to his anonymous account. He finds that the catalog has already been vandalized so he decides to change it himself. He performs a Vandalize Icon operation using his rating 5 redecorate utility. He rolls 3 computer + 3 hacking pool against a target number of 3 (8 Control - 5 redecorate utility) getting 4 successes the host rolls 3 dice against a target number of 4 ( [MOOSE's masking 4 + rating 4 Sleaze] /2) and gets 1 success. MOOSE gets 3 net successes so he can change three details of the icon. He decides to make it so all the cards in the virtual card catalog have a watermarked moose with the words DANGER beneath them.

Unknown to MOOSE (he failed his free Sensors test when logging on) another decker lies in wait. A matrix gang punk icon named Sloppy-Joseph ghosts up behind MOOSE and hits him with his Attack utility, a dirty sock swarming with flies. Sloppy rolls his computer 4 + 4 hacking pool against a target number of 3. 1,3,2,5,11,3,4. That's 6 successes, which stages his Light damage attack utility up by 3 levels to Deadly. MOOSE rolls his deck's Bod attribute (4) against a target number of 3 (Sloppy-Joseph's attack utility rating) minus his Armor utility rating. Since MOOSE has no armor utility active, he must roll against 3 because MOOSE logged in as a legitimate icon (big mistake, chummer). He rolls: 3, 2, 1, 10. His icon gets nearly smothered by the stinky sock. The simsense stench is nearly overwhelming. MOOSE must roll a Willpower test against a target number of five (his icon took serious damage) He passes the test and takes no overload damage. Now initiative is rolled and combat begins.

Had MOOSE had a better Sensor rating, he might have noticed the other decker in the first place. Even then, he should have attempted a Locate Decker before going straight to the target. Additionally, he never allocated any Hacking pool to detection factor, most likely because he was using it to make up for his lack of Computer skill. If his detection factor had been higher, the other decker may have never noticed him until the Vandalize Icon operation had finished and even then, he would have had to perform a locate Decker operation. MOOSE lost that cybercombat, but he got lucky, the other decker could have seeded that system with worms or used a BlackHammer utility and outright killed Danger_MOOSE.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 09:55:49 AM »

OKay, how does overload damage work?

(oh, and I am sooooOOOOooo stealing the name Danger_Moose as an NPC)

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 04:31:33 PM »

Okay, and how does programming work? (programming skill... is a specilization of the Computer skill, right?)

How does it work though? Can you upgrade a program (from a rating 5 program to 6, for instance), and what would the path be for it? (times, target numbers and the like?)

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 08:09:45 PM »

Overload damage works when an icon takes damage. The icon's owner (the decker in question) must roll a willpower test against a target number based on the icon damage or take a light stun wound. The target number is 2 for Light, 3 for Moderate and 5 for serious. Icon damage adds no penalty to the decker's target numbers while mental and physical wounds do.

Programming is WAY too complicated for me to print word-for-word here. You're better off getting a copy of Matrix. I used EMule to find it.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 05:23:44 AM »

Yes, you can do upgrades, and I agree with Retread that's it's too much to post here.
Basically, it's pages 76-94 of Matrix.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 05:42:44 AM »

Have fun reading THAT. I have a little worksheet that Vader drew up for me on programming. If I can find it, I'll send it along to you.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7401 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 17 queries.