Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 07:46:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decker Questions  (Read 5611 times)

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re:Decker Questions
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 09:11:53 AM »

I would appreciate that.

Can anyone sum it up? Give me the basics?

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 09:40:32 AM »

Seriously? That is a REALLY in depth topic. You really do just need to print the book out, chummer.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 09:42:02 AM »

Hmmm... I'll check that on my own.

I have a question about program ratings, though. For system tests, do you use the rating of the program in dice for the action? Is it different for attack programs?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 09:51:29 AM »

Very short sum up:
1) Decide which rating your final program is to have. No higher than your computer skill (programming spec.), persona programs can go up to 1.5xskill.
2) Figure out size. (in Mp). This is your basic programming time, in days.
3) Write a programming plan, this requires a relevant knowledge skill, sch as Combat Utility Design, Operational Utility Design or White ICE design.
4) Tools exists, they will not be covered in this brief.
5) Find the modified T#. Basic T# is equal to desire rating of program. Each success on the planning stage is worth a -1. If no plan was prepared, T# +2. If the computer (usually a laptop or equivalent) has twice the necessary memory, that's a -2 T#. You can write on a Mainframe too, this gives further T# reduction, but usually costs money.

Roll Computer (programming spec, remember task pool dice) against resulting T#, divide base time by the number of successes. Writing the program takes this many days.

We have ignore all optional rules as well as stuff like working in teams, bugs, glitches, languages and all sorts of options.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 01:27:13 PM »

Program ratings have different effects. OPERATIONAL UTILITIES like Analyze etc. reduce the target number for system tests. So if you're editing a file the Read/Write utility reduces the target number for Edit File tests, etc. So if I'm editting portfolios that are in an accounting host I need to roll my Decking test + Hacking Pool against the FILES rating of the Host in question. My target number is reduced by the highest rated Read/Write utility in ACTIVE memory on my deck. Likewise, the system makes a test against my Detection Factor ((Masking + Active Sleaze)/2) using its Security rating, this is the number next to the host color, ie. Red 11, Blue 4, Orange 8, etc. If the system scores more successes, my action fails. If I score more successes, the file action succeeds and reduces the time needed to edit the file.

Direct Combat utilities (Attack, Killjoy, and Black Hammer) are treated like Real-life weapons, with two ratings the Attack Power (This is the utility's actual rating) and the Damage Level. Higher damage level programs have a greater size multiplier. So a rating 10 Light Attack program will be much smaller than a rating 7 Deadly Attack Program. The attack power is treated just like a bullet, knife etc. The program's rating is used for the target number to resist the damage. The target when hit, uses it's Bod (or Security rating) to resist the damage, rolling those dice + pool dice against a target number equal to the Attack utility rating or IC rating minus the rating of any active Armor utility.

Other programs have their rating used based on their description. So, if you want to know more about them, you'll just have to read how they work, chummer.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »

So I would pretty much always use my Computer skill (or decking specalization)

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 08:22:20 PM »

Yes, it's skill that drives your ability to do anything. As the core book says, a sufficiently godly decker can do anything in the Matrix. For those of less divine skills they must rely on utilities to get the job done. You don't even need an attack utility if you can improvise one. Nearly any action can be achieved without utilities. There are some exceptions like operating a Wireless link without the appropriate utility but the GM might allow the decker to work around that, anyway.

Computer (Decking) is like the Decker's Combat skill, Electronics B/R, Stealth, and all other active skills all rolled into one for the purposes of the Matrix.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2006, 03:27:23 AM »

As long as you're decking, your computer skill (decking spec) is the be all-end all.
Programming spec is just for preparing, and so isstuff like Computer B/R, electronics Electronics B/R and all that. Oh, and maybe negotion skillto sell the loot at a decent price.

As everyone who's been on the early 21th century internet knows, Ettiquette (Matrix) is advisable, but strictly optional!
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »

No doubt about the whole optional Netiquette. Of course, system familiarity skills are a great boon too. Additionally, I'd recommend that a decker seriously consider investing in a knowsoft link. Program planning skills are karma intensive so any relief is always helpful.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7405 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.