Shadowrun Pub

• April 27, 2024, 07:48:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...  (Read 4191 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Re:...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »

Hah!  I don't need no stinking analysis to min/max a character.  I made a 4th character that rolls 17 dice to shoot a pistol.  Most things die in one shot!  And when I get shot, I get to roll 8-12 dice depending on what piece of armor I'm wearing.

After that I don't feel the need to min/max, I guess I just wanted to see what it'd be like in 4th.  It was my first 4th character after all.  The next character I'm making is going to be very mediocre, a hero of the barrens if you will.  I think I'll have more fun that way.

IMHO the biggest bonus 4th edition has over 3rd is the learning curve, it's a lot easier to get a new person into the game and understand how everything works.  But you know, it's just not as kewl...

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »

Yeah, it's a lot easier to give them a made character and say, "when you roll, you take this number of dice and this number of dice and roll..."

I haven't really dealt with the matrix or magic, because my brother (Ruski) did that one without me, and my other buddy wanted to test out combat, in all its vainglorious forms. So we didn't do much other than that.

But I'm still trying to get a bead on the system, so that I can GM and have fun with it. After all, the game is more about the people than the rules anyway.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

BornKrazi

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »

Much like I handle negotiations, especially in the PBP game, to me as a GM it's more about you actually saying this and that then so much on the dice rolls.  I generally use that only as a formality or if the NPC has double the dice then the player.

bull30548

• Grunt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 07:50:24 AM »

back to the very first post did anybody get so bored as to do a 3rd edition version?

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
Re: ...
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »

Min/Maxing is there in every game.
some people get their jollies off of eeking the edge over anyone else.
and really, if you want to create a charichter, that sort of information is useful.
Let's say you are going to be the party's street sam.
or better yet, let's say your buddy. bob :bob: is going to be the street sam.
you are playing the mage.
don't you want the street sam protecting your back to be able to take a punch? be able to fire his gun and make the bad (badder?) men stop trying to kill you?
do you want him to put all his points into charisma? isn't he just a bullet-spunge?
now, I'll be the first to admit that i've had my fair share of games ruined by the min-maxing rules lawyer. (as K1d about 2nd edition DnD elves some time. see if he can talk about them without crying.)
but everyone does it. even if it is just to figure out if you should buy a car, or that bazooka.
-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7389 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 18 queries.