Shadowrun Pub

• April 29, 2024, 12:11:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Re:Holy crap!  (Read 10398 times)

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
Re:Holy crap!
« on: November 15, 2005, 01:35:54 PM »

Wordman put out a world map PDF file. That's where I got my "open-ended super campaign" idea.

Open-ended super-campaigns are the bread and butter of the post-apocalyptic genre.  It takes a huge, huge, huge amount of effort and preparation on the part of the GM to pull off really believably, but it's totally worth it -- the world feels more alive, I think.  And you can design campaigns and adventures within the structure of your super-campaign just as you would without having one.

Definitely my preferred method.  It would be great for Shadowrun.
"There goes one of God's own prototypes, some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production . . . too weird to live, and too rare to die." — Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 02:08:56 PM »

Well, If someone else has the time to build a whole world, I wouldn't mind stealing it. I did it a couple of times in high-school... had teraign maps, individual kingdoms, countries, etc... was a whole lotta work; but it was nice.

-RuskiFace
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »

Well, I just read up on all the source material and design between sessions. I mean, the idea isn't to create a whole campaign, just keep track of the elements the players are looking at. I mean, Morrowind was a beautifcul game, but it didn't render the whole world at once, if you follow my analogy.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 04:13:32 PM »

Well, I'm pretty learned in the nature of Shadowrun's plot so such a thing is not difficult. It's really all about knowing which Source to read. Granted, I've read almost every sourcebook in print before 2003 which I imagine is not the case for you Pimp-boy. I've been falling behind lately, though.

I've also altered the nature of the Shadowrun contact system to allow for player influence. So a player gains influence points with an NPC which are added to dice rolls (like contact levels) but the number can change quickly based on the players actions and the personality of the NPC. The number can be negative as well, giving the NPC more dice to resist. This replaces the modifiers for NPCs being neutral, friendly, or hostile. NPCs who are highly influenced (Influence rating higher than Willpower) by PCs also change their behavior based on perceiving the PC's actions. So you could eventually turn Mr. Evil Wizard into Gandalf or drive a Shaman towards the Toxic path (though, it would be hard, because most magicians have high Willpower ratings, which are reinforced by the nature of their traditions)

The primary problem with SR3's contact system is that it doesn't allow for power levels. So instead, I simply give a number of different ratings for the NPCs abilities. Players can choose to have high-powered contacts but those contacts will always have higher rates (prices) than those that the player intentionally creates with lower stats. So if the player takes the time to "train" an NPC doctor fresh out of med-school with his money (NPCs gain Karma too, you know) his rates will stay lower for that player rather than a flash-and-chrome doctor with rating 9 Biotech who charges by the spoken word. In a sort of meta-gaming aspect, the players can force NPCs to challenge themselves and in essence improve them. This applies in reverse, whereby, the players spare their enemies so they can grow and pose a greater Threat to the players and increase their Karma as well.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »

*shrug* flying by the seat of your pants is a must-have skill for any halfway decent GM.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 08:20:49 PM »

True. Knowing a little bit about what's going on adds a little more atmosphere. though.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 08:26:38 PM »

There are problems when things get too detailed and you start forgetting small but crucial details .

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 09:04:25 PM »

I don't recommend smoking pot and playing any pencil and paper RPG... ever.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 01:15:50 AM »

*shrug* flying by the seat of your pants is a must-have skill for any halfway decent GM.

-RuskiFace the Pirate

Yeah, but doing it 100% is truly a gift, and that's certainly not where my talents lie.  I'm good at believable and fairly consistent improvisation, but not quite stellar, if you know what I mean.

That pretty much is how I do most of my campaigns.
Mind you, if someone spots an inconsistance (and they are rare), they can usually get incorporated into the rest of the story, as a 'clue'.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 08:29:41 AM »

Well, If you are happy with it; why not!

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 01:10:41 PM »

Yeah, maybe as a player, P-Boy, but a GM that's stoned cannot function properly. Ever.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 08:15:50 PM »

well, if the rest of the players were high, no one might notice.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 09:45:27 AM »

Well the group I started playing with only allowed very specific consumables in the game area: Red Hot Fireballs, pretzel rods, Pepsi (not Coke), beer, and any baked good known to man.
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 08:36:46 AM »

I tryed this 'eating while wearing rubber gloves' thing once for thoes... didn't work out.

same thing for not touching any of them and just dumping the bag into your mouth... removing the erant cheeto from your nose is a difficult task to do without
1) touching it
or
2) 'sneezing' it acrost the room.

-RuskIFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 08:11:09 PM »

You could designate a feeder position whereby they never touch any of the goods and feed each of the players?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7407 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.