Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 02:10:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Bounty Hunters  (Read 10121 times)

Elena V

• FNG
  • (Insert witty/humorous quote)
Bounty Hunters
« on: June 19, 2006, 12:19:34 PM »

Okay.  I don't own any of the books or companions, and don't have access to Kid Vid's computer at the moment, sooo...

How does bounty hunting work?   :D

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:Bounty Hunters
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 12:53:32 PM »

Well, since the world of Shadowrun is pretty much a modified version of real life (and that's why I love it) you could treat an SR bounty hunter just like a real life bounty hunter, i.e. your job is to track down individuals who have been arrested and released on bale, who then "skipped town" without showing up at their trial. I know that might sound a bit fraggin' boring, but think about it like this, in the world of Shadowrun, there are a TON of borders in the world that a person might cross to evade the law. Imagine you have a few Mitsuhama sararimen (wage slaves) go out on the town in the middle of teh Seatle Sprawl. After an evening of drinking and partying, they end up in Auburn and hire a few caucasian hookers for a bit of color and things go south. One of the hookers ends up dead, the sarariman gets arrested, and by some freaky legal loophole, he makes bail. The guy then goes into ANY Mitsuhama building, and is now in Corporate territory. If Mitsuhama has no extradition treaty with the UCAS, then Joe Corporate is on easy street.

So you could work a boutny hunter like that: a guy who has a quasi-legal status which allows him to track and bring in bail jumpers or fugitives on the run. I know the above example is a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea. But you have to remember, a REAL bounty hunter has to work within certain lawful precepts. So if you create a PC who is a "real" bounty hunter, then he should probably have a SIN and a business liscence. If you are a "street" bounty hunter, then you could probably run it the same as in Star Wars.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 01:16:57 PM »

And ofcourse, taking them back alive is always a nice complication.

Though tasers and narcoject weapons help, as do certain spells.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 01:35:49 PM »

Good point, ROOTless. You may want to invest in some Skilltwitchers, Jackplugs, and a magemask or two. All of those can be found at the rear of the SR3 core rulebook. Oh, and be sure to get a high Intimidation rating. You might need it.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 07:03:12 PM »

Ah yes, DMSO is your friend.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Elena V

• FNG
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 11:04:57 AM »

Awesome.  Thanks, guys!  I'll definitely put those suggestions to good use.  I've also been debating making her an adept or just cyberwaring hte hell out of her- Ruski and I had a good long chat about the pros and cons of each.  Thanks for all the help!

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 12:05:41 PM »

If you want a bit of free advice, I'd avoid taking a starting PC's Esssence below a 3.0 or a 3.5 if possible. Remember, you can ALWAYS get hurt and need surgery, or even need to upgrade in an unexpected way. For example, I have a custom modified cybernetic arm. A complete, obvious right cyberarm. The thing is, as usefull as this thing is, I never wanted it. I had to get this thing because some Humanis cobber thought it would be a good idea to beat up an old orc lady when whe was coming home with groceries. I, however, thouht he should have a really CLOSE look at his own spleen. His chummer, on the other hand, thought I needed to see how it feels to have an entire AK-97 clip emptied into my sexy elven body. And he won that argument.

The point is, a walk down the street, and argument, and WHAM 1.0 point of Essence down the tubes. So keep that in mind when creating new PC's.

Gabriel, Cautionary Elf

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 07:44:29 PM »

Well, I'm so loaded that I keep my own clone in my secret bio-lab, fresh for the pickin' whenever I get a nasty wound.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Elena V

• FNG
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 11:23:51 AM »

A clone?  That's awesome. :D

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 12:27:23 PM »

Just for spare parts- the clone isn't sentient (and even if it was, it wouldn't be a copy of you- it grew up knowing nothing, and would have the reactions and speech patterns of a newborn.)

But it's good for that spare kidney that you need, or the brain tissue you needed grafted in after that car accident. It's also really expensive to do, so not many people can afford it.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »

Yes, the clone is just a slab of meat. They've already basically said in canon that when they clone organs for you they simply clone the entire body and cut out what they need.

And no, it's not like "The Island" where the clones have to live lives in order to not die some mysterious death. They are meat.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 10:37:11 AM »

THey also say in cannon that there are no black clinics that handle cloning. That type of operation is way too big for a shadow operation. Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't some "less than legal" corporate and government facilities out there that could handle the job. That's one reason a lot of runners have chrome: no SIN means no cloning. You can, of course, get around that, but by the time you do, you've spent so much money and favors doing it that you should have just gotten the chrome. I say that as I type with my nice, metalic/plastic right arm. sigh....

Gabriel

PS - THAT'S why I make so many type-o's ROOTless, the cyber arm. Yeah... that's the reason. ;)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »

PS - THAT'S why I make so many type-o's ROOTless, the cyber arm. Yeah... that's the reason. ;)

Then you need to take it down to some guy who knows what he's doing, for an adjustment! Imagine it messing stuff up like that in the middle of a firefight!
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 04:02:55 PM »

Ah, it might take big facilities to make a clone, but you could easily steal your own clone from a legitimate facility, and have a friendly mage chummer (who is also well-compensated) quicken a Stasis, Fast and Sustenence spell on said clone...

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 08:17:05 PM »

True, it's getting the clone made in the first place that's the problem. It's not like they don't check your SIN before they do the work, not just at pick-up. But yeah, if you could sleaze your way into the tissue banks, then getting that initiate chummer to help you out might be the thing to do.

Gabriel

PS - You would get an extra karma point in my game for coming up with that plan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7402 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.