Shadowrun Pub

• April 24, 2024, 01:26:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: More Magic Question  (Read 12297 times)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:More Magic Question
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 05:38:58 AM »

You're comparing apples and oranges. Taking an action like stealing a car is the end result of gaining the skills you learned that enabled you to steal the car in the first place, which you might remember, you had to spend karma to learn. Shooting a gun, same thing. You had to spend karma to get the skill that enabled you to use the weapon proberly. The idea is simple, Reterad, and it is a staple for every gaming system in existence: game balance. Getting every spell for free, especially how you use spells, is a rediculous idea that destroys the very idea of a balanced character. You would, in essence, create a top-level PC right from the beginning with nothing more than a few minor flaws and an unlimited spell repertoire. How can you justify that as a GM?

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 12:08:14 PM »

You wouldn't be able to do it from the beginning- beginning spells cost spell points. This is something that would require time and money, not karma.

Oh, and force 1 spell are useless - who can't beat a target number of 1? You'd have to bury them with successes- and even with invisibility, with a set target number, you would only be able to hide as long as they didn't get a single success to see through your spell.

Or healing, where you would be able to (maybe) heal a single box of damage. That's just sad.

I probably wouldn't allow this, because although this isn't abuse, the type of player who looks for loopholes like this usually is looking for some game-unbalancing abuses. (No offense intended, Retread- that's just been my experience with players who look for things like this) So if I allowed this, then next he would come at me from out of left field, and have another 'simple request' that would make him uber powerful.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 06:47:12 PM »

Obviously you've never used skillwires in your game:

Rating 3 Chipjack Expert Driver + Dedicated Chipjack + Customized Implant Rating 6 combat skill w/ DIMAP 6 = God

I digress however and still say that the avenue for abuse here is minimal compared to a variety of other situations, like players hauling off dead cyberzombies to get their Betaware ripped and installed.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 01:56:06 AM »

Agreed. Force 1 is just not enough to do much with, even with a pile of dice.
Do it thrice, and your GM is going to get the badguys some magic defence, if they really need it.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »

There are no 1 Target Numbers in Shadowrun. You always have a minimum TN of 2, no exceptions. Again, I won't quote page number because I can't remember and I'm not going to bother looking for it, but that is a tenant of the game. Every single roll, no matter how easy, will always have a chance of failure, albeit if you have a TN of 2, the only way you can fail is by rolling all 1's, meaning you have fumbled, but hey, there you go.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 10:44:40 AM »

I realize this, I'm pretty sure we all do, and it changes things very little.
Rolling against a 2 is just... unimpressive, unless you have to get more successes than you have dice (as mentioned already above).

Further more, in the 3rd edition, some effort was made to make the Force of a spell more important, just so that you wouldn't want to have that stack of Force 1 or 2 spells, because of their low usefulness.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 01:48:42 PM »

I can see it. Of course, there's really no way to roll a 6, 12, 81, etc. in SR either. So a TN of a multiple of 6 is pretty useless. I think that's one of the biggest glitches in the game, but pretty unavoidable. Go figure.

Gabriel

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 02:53:19 PM »

We do what we can.

Okay, I have some very theoretical questions about magic.

I have a group with two (both aspected casters) mages and two adepts (one with a sword, one with pistols), none of which have any focuses.

What can I throw at them that will target them instead of the other runners? This group also has a rigger and a street sam (both of which have had characters die recently, so I'm hoping to take it easy on them)

So I need some sort of critter or spirit, (or reason to send said critter or spirit) to target the magical characters.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »

focuses.

Foci.

Now, as to your actual question.
How many of them are astrally perceptive? Both of the aspected ones are, have either of the adepts bought that power?
Anything present only in the astral (such as a projecting magician or an unmanifested spirit) would automatically target characters using astral perception. This includes non-flesh form bug spirits.
Or how about letting them steal a powerful focus/framing them for the disappearance of said focus? It only boosts magicians (or adepts or whomever you'd like to target), so hte owners will assume one of the magicians (/adepts/...) has it, and target them for preferance.

Perhaps a spirit (maybe even a free one) that's most effeciently fought through banishing?

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »

Have them encounter a gang who has a reason to hate the magically awakened. Either they are a magical gang, or they are afraid of it, whatever.

Remember the street motto "Geek the Mage, first"?
Most Gangers and Sammies do. Fighters kill what they recognize as a greater threat, or an easier kill.

Here's a thought. Aztlan has been abducting Awakened folk for use in some mojo (sacrifices), so they send "recruitment squads" around town.
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 07:15:27 PM »

Hee, once again, here's one for you. Tempt your adepts with the Dark Side of the Force. Whenever the adepts kill something and they do so with bloodlust, offer them a chance to go with that bloodlust. Tell them they feel stronger and that their rage brings them focus, raising their powers temporarily. You can raise the level on their powers temporarily, whatever. However, every time the players do this, tally it down. Whenever the players abuse this power, they may lose control, going into a murderous powertrip. Tell the players that they feel angry in a particular situation, or whatever random thoughts go through their heads. How they grow to hate some of their contacts or even minor annoyances. If the characters don't see the link between this newfound power and their developing psychosis, then they deserve what's next.

Remember those tally marks? Each tally mark is now the target number for a willpower test to avoid going berserk like a bear shaman whenever "threatened" not hurt. This threat can be as small as a drunk bar patron wanting to fight or even a threat by the police. In this rage, the character attacks the threatening character or object mindlessly until they kill the offending character or are incapacitated in some way.

The source of this rage? A new form of Florescing Astral Bacteria III hybrid with the Human Metahuman Vampiric Virus. This bacterial agent is more like a virus. Instead of preying on and feeding on magic, this bacterial colony bonds with a magic-user forming a symbiotic relationship, adding it's relative "Force" to its host's Magic rating, this becoming the basis for new powers or intense magical prowess. However, these symbiotes are not benign in any way. Being bred with HMHVV, the bacteria must feed on Essence or die. It induces its host into a psychotic rage in order attain its food. Piggybacking on the emotional link between the host and their victim it feeds on the essence of either the dying victim or the dying host. Once the bacteria consumes  twice its force worth of essence, it becomes stronger, raising in force.

However, once the force of the bacterial colony becomes greater than the magic rating of the host the host must make a final Willpower test. If this test fails, the host becomes suicidal and immediately makes a move to kill themselves in some grotesque manner. If the host manages to sucessfully kill themselves the bacteria absorbs the final amount of essence from its host and all the Magic that the host had. This causes the bacteria to reproduce into two bacterial clouds with half the force of the original.

This sinister symbiote was created and designed by Ordo Maximus, a technological and magical vampiric initiatory group. Having attained a sample of the bacteria that Ares used against the bug spirits in Chicago (at great risk to themselves) they managed to manipulate the bacteria using the same techniques they use to hold a cybermantic individuals aura inside their dying body. Having sucessfully engineered this bacteria however, caused it to mutate beyond the original concept of a symbiote to aid vampires and it took on a predatory feeding and reproduction ability. Unlike normal FAB III the this mutant strain is nearly undetectable when it occupies its host as the bacteria, a wholly astral construct, becomes one with the aura of the host. However, the bacteria becomes easier to detect once it grows. The base target number to detect the bacteria is 12 minus its force. So a rating 7 bacteria is still hard to spot but a rating 1 is nearly impossible to spot when it occupies a host. Furthermore, as the host becomes more and more addicted to the power given by the symbiotic bacteria their aura becomes darker and more twisted, attracting all sorts of bad luck and spirits.

Whaddaya think? I came up with that all just now :P
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 02:47:32 AM »

Those are very cool, but I was hoping for a paranormal animal (or spirit) who targets magical characters. Although any creature who can be a hassle for magic users would be helpful.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 04:38:49 AM »

Any spirit (or initiate magician) with Possession (metamagic or critter power) is fun.
They can posses projecting magician, or attack an astrally percieving magician, defeat him/her in astral combat (for stun damage), and then posses the body. Plenty of fun ensues.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:57 AM »

ROOTless has the seeds of a good idea there, Kid_Vid. So let's go with that. You and your team are hired for a run (It makes no difference at all what kind of run) and you are brought up against a street gang. This particular gang is new to the sprawl, say they just got in from the Carribean League, and looking to make a name for itself, but so far hasn't really hit the street cred in a big way. Your team ends up having to go up against them and when they get geeked (as they are supposed to) one or two of your PC's loots the bodies and walks off with some new foci or fetishes, hell even trophies if your PC's are into that sort of thing.

Now, as it turns out, this wasn't the entire gang that you fought, and there is one cobber left, and he's the one who was running things. This guy is an initiated houngan. When he find out about the rest of his gang getting geeked, he decides to take his revenge. Since the PC's have taken some of the gang's gear (and this is when the foci come into play) the houngan will begin to track the PC's astrally based on the auras of the stolen items. This isn't like ritual sorcery or anything, the houngan is just very familiar with the gear since he probably made the foci or at least observed them astrally at close range for a while.

Anyway, a little time passes and then the houngan strikes. When one of your mages is astral, he jumps into the body, using his Possession Metamagic. When he does this, he starts causing all kinds of trouble along the lines of say killing innocent people at random, sending the mage's personal info to the public datanets, "self" mutilation of the possessed body, actually attacking other PC's. You get the idea. And if your adepts have taken astral projection (although I doubt it at such low level) then they can be targeted as well.

The houngan's goal may not be to kill the PC's outright as he may not be strong enough, but if he can get them killed or fighting each other, or even weakened enough, then he could strike. Just check out MiTS for the appropriate Loa spirit for this guy to worship and put in a bit of "evil voodoo man" feel to the campaign (maybe having it all culminate with the houngan being in some candle lit, body part strewn room under the barrens or something) and you've got it made.

Gabriel

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »

Huh... not a bad thought.

Here's the idea I was going through for the Run, though.

The runners are contacted by thier fixer, MFI, who sends them a plane ticket to Morocco, and landing them in Casa Blanca. It's a corp retreat for the super-elite, and Mister Johnson meets them just outside of it. He has heard these runners can handle themselves around magic, and that they're not too bad in a firefight, so he wants to hire them to go into a compoud in Amazonia and get something for him. I haven't decided what the 'something' is going to be, but I was thinking something small and delicate, like a flower.

Anyway, the flower is the part he's going to tell them about. The part he's not going to tell them about is that they are the third team he's sent into the jungle, that he suspects that a high level initiate mage might be protecting the blossom, and perchance... there might be a dragon interested in this thing. On top of all of that, they have to trek into the jungle, where they can stumble on all manner of amazonian critters who will make thier lives miserable. So I need critters to do such.

I love that plotline, so I think I'll save it for a later day. Thanks ROOTless, Retread and Gabe.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7360 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 17 queries.