Shadowrun Pub

• April 27, 2024, 09:49:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: More Magic Question  (Read 12323 times)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:More Magic Question
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2006, 05:13:11 AM »

Now see, I always liked the "bug hunt" feel of th einsect spirits. But I do think you should have some of the spirit forms too. After all, if they are protecting this flower (for whatever reason they are) then they will want to have astral security in place as well as dual-natured security. After all, what's the point of being dual natured when you are fighting a PC who can move with an extra +20 to their initiative. You have to have a bit of equalizer there.

OH, and you may want to give the PC's an oppertunity to meet a free spirit while they are down there. Jungles and places far removed from civilizaton are great places for free spirits to make a home. If they are getting their hoops handed to them, it might be worth something to have made freinds with a local free jungle spirit a few days prior.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2006, 01:12:20 PM »

Flower,  you say? Why not make them Bee spirits? There are no rules for "Bee Spirits" but they can't be much different than Wasp spirits save for their nature of collecting nectar and such.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2006, 01:48:41 PM »

Well.. plus a bee spirit would die after stinging you. ;D

Unless they're africanized killer bee spirits!

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »

What are the rules for toxic shamans? I wanted to use a toxic shaman with at least one spirit with him, as part of a group of terrorists that are holding hostages (cause you know you always have one terrorist that's a little crazier than the other terrorists)

But I wanted to make him formidible. What benefits are there to toxic totems? Are toxic spirits more powerful?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2006, 04:08:29 PM »

Toxic shamans function in two ways, as Poisoners or Avengers. Poisoners are totally corrupted. The environment that created them is what they seek to make the rest of the world into (usually) as a result, they will attempt to corrupt the environment in a manner they see fit. Posoners often follow the will of their totem in the exact opposite manner. A dog shaman, for example, is rabid and wil probably destroy their friends and allies. An eagle shaman seeks corruption. A bear shaman will seek to maim and kill instead of heal. Shark shamen become even more brutal and vicious, murdering as much as possible. Essentially poisoners are rabid, psychotic versions of their former Totems.

Avengers on the other hand, are just that, on a quest for revenge. They often seek to destroy those whom have harmed them, often resorting to manners that are more harmful than good. An avenger's quest is typically to destroy polluters and corrupters. An avengers totem is essentially a vengeful form of their former totem, focused but still rabid.

Toxic Shamen are empowered by Potency, an extra dice pool to use in Magical skill tests. Potency is gained when a Toxic shaman accomplishes a goal. The higher the potency, the more terrible the agenda. These objectives are based on the type of shaman they are (Poisoner or Avenger) and their specific totem. Urban totems will seek to destroy or avenge man's spirit while nature totems will protect or destroy the land. If an agenda is foiled, the Shaman's potency decreases. So if the runners encounter a powrful shaman they can weaken them over a series of adventures instead of one all-out battle.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2006, 09:55:32 AM »

Interesting... so if I was going to have a toxic shaman in charge of a group of eco-terrorists, how much potency should I give him? (or her... maybe I'll have it be the chick of the group)

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2006, 11:03:11 AM »

Depends on how much you want your players to hate you.
1-2 isn't too bad.
3-5 if kinda nasty.

Maybe you might want to go for randomness?
Roll 2d6, explain what for, and watch their faces. It can be quite fun.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2006, 03:13:53 PM »

Personally, I don't use that Poisoner/Avenger stuff, I just go for Fragged Out of His Mind, Evil as Drek toxic shamans. But if you want him to be really nasty, then have him come back. Just make sure you have a good back story for him. After all, most toxic shamans used to be regular shamans. Something had to push him over the edge, and when that happens, he begins to exibit the evil/bad/horrible nature of whatever totem he follows. For instance, a toxic Dog shaman might act like a rabid dog. A toxic Shark shaman would be a complete pysochopathic killer/canibal. Stuff like that.

I once created a toxic Eagle shaman who had gotten a massive dose of radiation and was forced to live in a fallout zone or he would die. This guy started thinking that ALL technology was evil and should be ourged, and to do it, he would turn it in on itself by releasing a massive dose of radiation on the local environment. Not a nice guy.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »

hahaha... both good help. Okay, so the main baddie (aside from the terrorists using Mitsuhama assault rifles), is a toxic coyote shaman, who got dosed with radiation while in Ute, and went a little (lot) crazy.

He suddenly gets it into his mind that radiation is the 'purification of fire' mentioned in Revelations (esta a santa biblia), and that the whole world needs to experience it.

So he talks some greenpeace (greenwar in Shadowrun, right?) group into taking hostages in the Shiawase reactor, with the hidden intent to melt down the reactor and dose the surrounding areas of Seattle with radiation.

Should be a good one!

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2006, 01:28:35 AM »

greenpeace (greenwar in Shadowrun, right?)

I've always understood 'Greenwar' to be a radical splinter faction of Greenpeace.

Other than that, sound like a good plot, if a bit nasty.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2006, 03:07:20 AM »

Well, I actually hired the runners to run against a super-secret datastore facility hidden beneath the Shiawase reactor.

Mid run, thier fixer called them up and said "What the hell are you doing?" because someone had taken hostages on the top floor.

So Mr. Johnson called them again, and offered them double pay to rescue the hostages and kill the terrorists. Which included said toxic coyote shaman (with a force 6 toxic spirit of man).

One runner managed to banish the spirit with a luck roll and a bunch of burned karma. (Four burned karma, with his willpower of 2 being both successes, as well as the spirit rolling for crap. The spirit got a single success.)

And then they cut apart the mage with a monofilament whip, while trying to resist the constant slew of manabolts. Now I just need to finish planning the Amazon run, and I'll be good.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2006, 08:11:56 AM »

Ha! What kinda combat monkey doesn't have high willpower? The bonus it provides to combat pool is reason enough :D

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2006, 08:19:17 AM »

Sounds like a good run.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2006, 09:42:13 AM »

So how much media attention did the runners get out of this? If there was a hostage situation, then there was probably some kind of recording device going, even if it was the corp cops doing it. So how about having some of that trideo footage get into the wrong hands?

I had my runners over a barrell for about a year because they saved a woman from a cyberclinic when a group of ghouls attacked the place. The woman turned out to be some mafia bim and the surgery she had just got was for cyberoptics with recorders and all that jazz. So the runners save this slitch, and about amonth later (when she's had a chance to get her ducks in a row) she has one of her leutinants contact the runners and blackmail them with the footage of them breaking into the clinic and stealing medical supplies.

Blackmail makes for a great dangling plotline. You may want to think about it for future incentive to run missions that some of the runners would normally nt take.

Gabriel

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2007, 02:44:33 PM »

Quick Magic Question.

When Mages or Shamans Astrally Project, can they Manifest themselves onto the Physical plane?

Materialize is to become solid, physical, and capable of interaction, usually limited to spirits.

Manifesting is to become visible and audible to observers on the Physical. Spirits can do this, but can mages and shamans do this too?
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7395 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.