General > Role Playing Games

EarthDawn questions..

(1/3) > >>

Capt_North:
Ok... seeing as how its almost impossible to make some posts without hearing about Earthdawn, my curiousity finally overcame me, searching an rpg book site called FRPGames.com i found the core and companion books for 2nd edit ED for about... 53 bucks total, brand new (at least so i've been told). I ordered it with express shipping.. onlyto find their site was wrong and they didnt have any of the books at the time (i've been told they were getting a new order yesterday and should be sending it then) and i mjust kinda curious now what kinda stuff i can expect in these books?

i've got some general ideas about the horrors and what like that.. but how much does it really mixx with shadowrun, or are they technically mut-exclu?

ROOTless:
The game mechanics aren't compatible though I guess a bit of tinkering wouldhelp, if one could be bothered. I couldn't.
At first glance, the setting is very different, though you might want to compare the map of Barsaive with a map of Ukraine and surrounding. If you pick up the Theran Empire Sourcebook, comparisons are pretty heavyhandedly clear.
Once you start looking at the magic theory and the details, you will notice that many of the ideas carry over. They even have a sort of magical cyberware, based on blood magic.

ED is Fantasy, and in my (not so very humble) opinion one of the best around.
The mechanics are pretty easy to learn, and flow nice and smoothly once people have picked up the concept of 'steps'. It uses a variety of dice, not just the D6 of SR fame.
Prepare to be fairly heroic though.

There's even a build-in motivator for the players to keep notes of 'what happened last time', so that you don't have to remindthem. Not sure if it made the cut to be included in the 2nd ed core books though.

Capt_North:
Cool, if at the least its something new to read and play. the shadowrun games going well, must say its very satisfying to kill off all the little assholes and idiots who force their way into the game (one of them actually went to the managers crying about discrimination because i wouldnt let him join the game, the reason i wouldnt let him is because he wanted cyber netic legs that would let him run faster then light, and a knife that when you stabbed someone it automaticly infected their cyberware with a virus that made it glitch and explode),

luckly after i was forced to allow him to join, one of my other players with a rather interisting character, (Troll Physad, mosh pitter, used the little background concept in the book that runners might go on runs sometime to save up cash for the new troll rock album or to go to concerts) introduced the guy to the small concept that, "little dogs bark, big trolls snap you in half like a tooth pick" soon after the guy left in a huff and the manager who made me let the guy in got a talking to from the GM about stuff like that. I like our GM. shes nice.

ROOTless:
Cool.

Drop a note when you recieve the books, eh.

Capt_North:
Well, it should be today, i'll find out around noon or so... the post office doesnt open until 9, and even then they dont really get anything until later in the day... if it doesnt get here soon im gonna have to call them and have a little talk.. it kinda sucks to pay 10 bucks for express shipping.. then have to wait almost... 2 weeks now for the books. pending on how this goes they may gain a customer, or lose as many as i can talk to and convince.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version