Shadowrun Pub

• April 19, 2024, 07:59:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Trying to find a particular device  (Read 1787 times)

Gilliam

• FNG
Help! Trying to find a particular device
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:28:31 PM »

Hey guys, I've been watching this forum for a while now, and havent' posted much.  Right now, though, I've got a problem.  Having just moved my own desktop to a new location in my house, I now need to get it online (I'm using another computer that's not dedicated to me right now).  The computer is on the second floor, and or router is on the first.  It's an 802.11b router, and we have an 802.11b PCMCIA card.  I've used this successfully with a laptop that I used to have, so transmission range isn't an issue.  Unfortunately, my desktop doesn't have a slot for a PCMCIA card.  I've been trying to find something on newegg that I remember people having up at morrisville.  It was a little adapter, that would plug into a USB port, and was nothing more than a housing for two PCMCIA interfaces.  I think my problem is that I'm not using the right search terms.  Can you guys lend some brainpower?
Lover of  Colors.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
Re:Help! Trying to find a particular device
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 12:08:59 PM »

I've used PCI cards that'll let you drop a PCMCIA card into them, I've never seen a USB version. don't know why they wouldn't be out there though.
really, the throughput on a wireless card isn't that much more than a USB interface can handle (even closer if you use the 1394/firewire or USB 2.0 setup)

you've actually got several options here as I see it.

PCI to PCMCIA adaptor: $60
PCI wireless network card: $80
USB wireless network card; $60

it just depends on your budget, and what your ultimate goals are.

personally, I got a 3-COM wireless PCI card. (put me back about $100) it had an external antenna, that let me place the recever in an optimal spot, as opposed to having to place my entire tower in an optimal spot to get a decent signal. (not all signal locations are created equil... and one bar difference may not be a big deal for checking e-mail, but downloading anything larger than a meg becomes downright painfull if the bandwidth falls far enough.)

if you are a fan of newegg, here are some links to stuff I found there:

a USB wireless adaptor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130111

a PCI wireless adaptor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833314012

a PCI to PCMCIA adaptor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124021

I didn't see any USB to PCMCIA cards on that site... though...
just the other way arround. (to get extra usb slots via your PCMCIA laptop)
if you really want to use your current card, I'd just go with the PCI version (linked above) if you've got a free slot.

let me know if you have any questions.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Tobias Andrion

• FNG
  • All's well that ends well
    • Tobias's Shadowrun Homepage
Re:Help! Trying to find a particular device
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:51:08 AM »

I have used the USB ones before they seem to actually work the same..  The cost is tha same whether you get the PCI one or the USB one...   The PCI one is more permenant where as the USB one can be transferred easily to other comps...
Tobias Andrion
    The Myth, The Legend
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7328 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.