Shadowrun Pub

• March 28, 2024, 11:03:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Secondary effects  (Read 3842 times)

necessitysslave

Secondary effects
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:00:46 AM »

Hi all, I played shadowrun a few years ago and have just gotten the opertunity to GM it. I was hoping that you guys(and gals) would be able to clearup a question or two I have.

Elemental manipulations: Say there is a guy packing lots of heat and my shaman/mage wants to set off his amunition.

The guy is a troll packing two ares preditors and 4 spare clips.

I use either fire or lightning to attempt to set off the ammo.

can someone please go through what would be rolled in what order so as to understand how to make his day a bad one.

also can I create a sustained elemental manipulation so that the secondary effect has multiple chances to go off.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:Secondary effects
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:08:29 AM »

Well let's see, as I remember (and ROOTless or Retread can correct me here) you get a secondary effect when you cast an elemental manipulation spell at Serious or Deadly Level. The secondary effect kicks in as a damage level 2 Power Levels lower than the primary spell. Therefore a 6 Serious Flamethrower spell would do 6 Light damage to everything the troll is carrying, forcing an object rating test vs. 6L damage. See what I'm saying?

As for creating a sustained E-M spell for causing secondary effects, you could certainly manage that with some spell research (see Maginc in the Shadows) but you may just want to stick to the primary effect of the spell. After all, if you kill the troll outright, why worry about blowing up his ammo? Of course, if you are looking for a kind of "kink" spell, to really mess with people then just give the spell the "sustained" option as well as "limited target" for non-living material.

Just remember, when you set someone on fire like that, you can't loot the body. Credsticks MELT. :-\

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 03:58:54 PM »

It's Moderate or higher damage. Roll 2d6. If this number is higher than or equal to the Object Resistance rating of the objects in the area of effect (on the target, for example) than the target is affected. Moderate damage spells must add 4 to the OR rating, Serious damage must add 2 to the OR rating. Deadly damage spells have no modifier.

Alternately, as a house rule, you can use the Barrier rating of the object instead for those who don't feel that how natural the object is should affect its fortitude and instead its actual physical nature.

For example, a ganger is hit with a moderate damage Acid Stream spell. 2d6 is rolled, and 7 is the total result. The ganger's baseball bat (OR 3+4= 7) is damaged but his leather jacket (OR 5+4=9) is not. If the spell were deadly damage it would have affected natural objects like trees, water, rocks and simple materials like leather, bricks, and simple plastics and simple metals and alloys. If the roll had been 8 and Deadly, the spell would have also wasted high-tech electronics, advanced plastics (Like credsticks, body armor, etc) and advanced alloys. If 10 or higher had been rolled the Deadly spell would have affected everything.

I recommend that you roll this way for every object to simulate randomness and splash effects but is not really required and you can make a blanket roll to save time.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:35:28 AM »

Told you Retread would come up with the rule in question. The man is an encyclopedia I tell you. ;)

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 10:03:47 PM »

Of course, you don't need to roll for inconsequential stuff. The best thing to do is to roll for anything that might seem relevant at the time. So, if the ganger was carrying a bottle of McGrunty's  180 Proof Rum and was hit by a fireball, then you might wanna roll, but you don't need to roll for stuff that players aren't interested in, like the pack of gum in his pocket.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 05:34:23 AM »

But what if you want to salvage the gum after you kill him? See, you need to know things like this before hand.

Gabriel

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 07:46:07 AM »

for shame gabe only you only you as you watch a point of karma float away for the above comment
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 09:00:50 AM »

You smote me for THAT? You obviously haven't been reading any of my other posts.

Gabriel

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 01:02:33 PM »

Well, he has been noticably absent.

I thought it was a funny comment. I mean, sometimes runners scavenge bodies for ammo and credsticks, but how often do they search for the old-fashioned football flavor of new NERPS gum?

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 01:45:21 PM »

The very first game I ran with this last group, a mage Flamethrowered a guy and did some massive deadly damage. So after the fight, he decides he's going to loot bodies. One of the other guys looks up and says, "Wouldn't a credstick have melted?" The mage looked completely dumbfounded, and I just laughed my hoop off. You gotta love newbie observations.

Gabriel

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »

acturly thats the frist time have smoted
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 02:06:06 PM »

Well, I un-smoted him. Worrying about fresh and minty breath after fireballing/flamethrowering a guy is a valid concern, and probably has been addressed by at least one person in the sixth world.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »

Thank you, Kid_Vid. So take that Mercy! You bad-breath troll.

Gabriel

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 11:24:15 AM »

Hey, I didn't say rational people tried it, just that it had probably been tried.

So here's to Gabe, in touch with the abnormal psyche. ;D

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 08:44:29 PM »

That's the thing, it's context sensitive. If a player says, "I wanna check for gum." then you make the roll right there instead of making sure you rolled for the gum beforehand. The same applies for everything else. If a player doesn't ask any questions about their surroundings then the GM is pretty much free to make up whatever they want.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7095 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.