Shadowrun RPG > Magic and the Planes

magic in space?

(1/7) > >>

swirler:
in the SR4 book i saw soemthing hinted at mages in space or atleast suborbital (i need to find it again so i can phrase this better maybe)

it elluded to something being wrong with magic use and being out of earths atmosphere. it seems kinda familiar or maybe just my imagination. I have been out of the shadows for many years.

can anyone point where this is dicussed or developed?
thanks!

ROOTless:
It was originally mentioed in the Grimoire (IIRC, or atleas the concepts involved were), and is updated for 3rd edition in Magic in the Shadows and then further developed in Target: Wastelands. I've never read a 4th ed. book, so can't give you any hints about that.

Basically Magic is powered by Life (both capitalised, in this context), of which there isn't really anything much worth the mention in hard space.

Thus space is a huge manawarp. See the sources above for more info ;)

Zone:
I can understand shamanistic magic might be but does that include hermetic too?

ROOTless:
Yes.

They draw upon the same energy, only the paths to reaching it differ.

Retread:
A significantly powerful magician can work magic in space, however the background count of 10 makes doing so very, very difficult. Presumably, once colonies on the moon grow in size, the background count of the moon will be less warped. I imagine in 50 years, the background count there will be below the warp level and simply be "difficult" and not "deadly"

Several different treatises are mentioned in canon. In Target: UCAS, one Shadowland poster mentions that mana is hypothesized to move into and out of the metaplanes and that FAB Gamma was eating that mana before it could recycle, creating a warp. Presumably, the existence of life is, in theory, the gateway to the metaplanes. Hence life is required for mana to become "positively charged"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version