Shadowrun RPG > Magic and the Planes

magic in space?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Gabriel:
Retread is correct, however I don't think the 50 year timeline is very realistic. Life energy, or mana, is created by the bioshpere, not simply a lot of people in one place. You would need to saturate the soils, air, and water with life to get the background count down below a 7 or 8. At least to my way of thinking. After all, a bunch of people in a can is an environment, not an ecosystem, therefore magic would still be very, very weak. Now, if you did the same thing on Mars, you might be able to pull it off quicker. But that is, again, just a theory.

Gabriel

kv:
Well, if you were considering that life has been on earth for hundreds of thousands (millions) of years, how long would it take to cultivate manafields on celestial objects?

It's not a very likely occourance, although I wouldn't see it beyond the developers to put out something like that.

-kv

Gabriel:
Exactly my pooint, Kid_Vid. Thanks for the concise recap. I do think that Mars might be able to be terraformed since it is so similar to earth, but not the moon. After all, Mars has an atmosphere, albiet a very very thin one. The moon is just a rock. Of course, the Moon is also a very potent symbol, and when magic is concerned, that carries a lot of weight.

Gabriel

kv:
Actually, I think you would have more luck cultivating manafields on biodiverse 'living ships' in space. Perhaps large crafts constructed out of organic materials, with grass and trees rather than air filtration systems, and large sails rather than rockets. It would be costly to construct, but if you wanted to have a space-based manafield, it sounds like a better bet than Zen gardens on the moon.

-kv

Gabriel:
Maybe, but I still think you would be REALLY limited on any kind of vessel. It's just not big enough.

Gabriel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version