Shadowrun Pub

• May 10, 2024, 07:29:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Recruiting] 3 players for online campaign.  (Read 2398 times)

SeekerOfPeace

• Fresh Fish
  • V for...
[Recruiting] 3 players for online campaign.
« on: October 08, 2006, 09:50:01 PM »

I am uncertain whether or not this is in the right section. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

I live in China and I am looking for three players for an online campaign.

I've already finished the mission, which is very detailed and about 30 pages long.

I would like to play-by-post and meet once a week for an hour or so to deal with more time consuming issues, like combat for example.

New players and veterans are both welcome.

I'm using Shadowrun 3rd edition for the record.

Here's the prologue:
The Birth of the Red Dragon.

It all began on a quiet, autumn night, in the busy streets of Chinatown. The last five years had been especially bad for the Sino-community. A certain number of police officers, corrupted to the bone has established a “protection” racket which had taken ampler at a terrifying speed.

The Lone Star officers, by the number of 9, were quickly nicknamed “黑爪”, Hei Zhua, the “Black Claw”. They weren’t really bad individuals, the situation in Seattle for the law enforcers had broken most idealist who believed that values could hold their own against the almighty Nuyen. And so those 9 men, slowly saw their dream of justice fade away, on a daily basis, until it vanished and was gone forever. Lost, they left the right path for a different one, a more lucrative one.

Resistance was non-existent in Little China. The four families who pretty much controlled what happened in their realm had reached a point of “no return” state of passivity. They were much too busy enjoying life to lift a finger to make it any better.

One must understand that Chinatown was a city of it’s own, with it’s own rules. “What happens in Chinatown, stays in Chinatown.” Poverty had become a blatant critical crisis and Chinese could often be seen gnawing at some leftover bone from an errant dog or cat. Rumors of cannibalism in certain part of town kept most cautious citizens behind locked doors as the sun was setting. Chinatown had seen it’s share of dismayed mothers wandering down the dirty streets screaming their children’s name in vain, only answered by the echoes of their voices.

How had things turned so bad? Why wouldn't anyone do something? BLT (“Better Than Life”) chips could be blamed. The chip junkies were spreading like a nasty virus and most of them had just given up on real life and it’s inconsistencies.

And so, it is in this grim setting, that on a quiet autumn night, as a midnight wind was carelessly blowing leaves of fading colors, a couple of young Sino-Elves were walking back to their humble firework store. They weren’t good or bad, just human, although they were respected in their community. After many years or dealing with the ordeals of Little China, they were still very much in love. They were striding down ruined streets, under a sky long covered with toxic clouds, but they would not notice. Only their love mattered, nothing else but their love.

Respect, as all things in this world, would not be earned without any reason. 例会,Li Hui, the man and father, was a stubborn idealist. His friends and family could not understand his determination to believe into things which they could not see. Li Hui was one of those determined soul who listen to no one but his own words for a very good reason, he had an excellent judgment. He somehow managed to make the best decision no matter what, no matter the options.

But Li Hui’s luck had run out. His flawless judgment had been dented a few weeks ago when he refused to pay two rather imposing law officers who came for their weekly deposit. He refused categorically, “不是” he said… “No.” No threats, no insult would move him for he had the patience of a mountain no vicious winds or harmful gale could shake his determination.

What could also be said about Li Hui was that he was quite traditional. He had mastered Kung Fu long ago and had once displayed prowess in the style of the “虎爪子”. Sure enough his skills weren’t as sharp as in is youth, but his reflexes were still astounding and his lean muscular body could still deliver devastating blows, should such violence be ever required.

And so, following his refusal, the two men were none too pleased. Although pacific, there were certain things which turned the wise Li Hui into a raging demon. He was quite protective of his wife, 流弹。One of the officer, a burly middle aged man, furious with the unexpected refusal, decided it would be fitting to display his anger by spitting his body fluids in Liu Dan’s face. And so he did, smiling at his mischief like a misbehaved kid. Both men left the simple store, but did not go far. Li Hui had been angered. His tolerance had failed, and his whole being was resounding with the murderous anger.

Focusing his “Chi”, like his ancestors for more generations that man could fathom had dibe, he practiced his art, the art of fighting to the greatest and most furious of abilities. His movements flowed like a vengeful tsunami, unstoppable and deadly like the bolts of a storm. They could’ve fought, had they ever had the time. But Li Hui had become something beyond man and his will bended the very rules of physics as he struck down the offenders.

Two men died on that day, and no one in Chinatown shed one tear on that night. Their body were never found, and we can presume that none of the Chinese, so hungry as they were, tasted their foul flesh.

Li Hui had fought for something he believed in, he had been driven by the searing flame of his convictions, but little did he know that flame of his conviction would drown his world in an ocean of hellish blaze.

On that quiet Autumn night, a Lone Star patrol car had been following the couple from the market. On that night, as the couple entered Li Hui’s famous shortcut, a rather dark and deserted alley, the car followed, slowly, creeping in, like the shadows of the moon. On that night, as full moonlight bathed the couple, the car stopped and two men got out and walked to the couple. They did not talk, they merely flexed their muscles and grabbed our hero by surprise.

None but Li Hui and the silent moon know what happened on that night. On that otherwise peaceful night, the two officer, which happened to be good friends of Li Hui’s victims, took their time to ruin a work of art, Liu Dan’s beautiful physique. They did it with the attention and care of professional, ignoring scream, pleas for help or even the tears of the innocent. With a mono-whip they scarred her face and with a knife they severed her head. One man kissed the dead lifeless lips and after pounding the flesh of a man who had lost it’s most treasure possession, they left him for dead, both in and out, under the gaze of a silent moon.

But Life acts in mysterious ways sometimes and Li Hui did not die on that night. His heart kept on beating, but he had died in some other way. His patient and kind self had vanished with the life of his love and he had been reborn into something too scary to describe. His appearance was the same, but something inside of him had been born on that night, something from a world of nightmare, a being of hate, pure, crystalline hate, untainted by anything good. From that day on, Li Hui would be a stranger to both Compassion and Justice.

How does the tale end then? In the next weeks, Lone Star patrol cars mysteriously disappeared in Chinatown. It got to the point where no man who belonged to put one foot into it’s dreaded street. The Chinese had a new hero, invisible and deadly. They called him “气的赤龙”, Qi De Chi Long, the “Wrath of the Red Dragon”…

And here's the first turn:

Seattle, 8:34 a.m., Chinatown.

You finally make it to the restaurant. You are quite surprised of the building’s appearance, considering the surrounding poverty.

The facade of the building is well kept which is quite a contrast from street. Two crystalline windows allows passerby, mostly individuals who will never have the chance of putting one foot in the restaurant, to see what they are missing. Expensive furniture, original paintings, antique chandeliers, candles, classical music, the whole deal.

In between the windows, Two massive man stand guard in front of the entrance. You could swear they were statue if they didn’t scan the area every once in a while. They are both heavily armed with automatic rifles.

The eating place is five stories high. On the last floor, a massive dragon hologram breathe mirage fire on the pedestrians, all the way down in the streets.

“赤龙” Chi Long, the Red Dragon.

A slight drizzle is keeping most people inside today. The poor and the needy, however, hardly consider the weather when it comes to get enough Nuyen to get something to eat. A look at their desperate expressions whips your motivation to meet Mr. Johnson and most importantly, reap the big bucks that rewards a job well done.

Unfortunately you don’t know much about your future employer. All you know is the password to get your sorry hide in the deluxe establishment: “希望’’, Xi Wang, Hope.

You are to meet Johnson at exactly 9:00 a.m. Being one second late, after this deadline, would result in the loss of the contract. Manners are also of the utmost importance…

And finally some map samples to give you a better idea:

bataille

chaumiere

parking lot

Please send me an e-mail if you're interested, as I check my e-mail often  compared to my visits to forums.

Thanks.

EDIT: links fixed.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 11:47:31 PM by ROOTless »

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re:[Recruiting] 3 players for online campaign.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:53:21 AM »

I'm interested. Any chance on specific details of characters you were going to let us play, or rulesets you wanted to run?

3rd Edition?

4th Edition?

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 01:45:12 AM »

This was actually specified already:
I'm using Shadowrun 3rd edition for the record.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

SeekerOfPeace

• Fresh Fish
  • V for...
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:21:17 AM »

Yes, I will be using the 3rd edition.

Character generation should be done with the priority system (A,B,C,D,E).

If you don't know how to play by forum, that's ok. I will explain it to you. :)

You may play any character that you want. Although I should warn that a Rigger wouldn't be very useful as the first mission takes place in an abandoned (or not so abandoned!!) underground complex.

You have to understand that this mission is detailed. Maps, Matrix system, NPCS, traps, combat, you name it.

This is the real thing BTW, which means there will be some dice rolling whenever necessary.

SoP.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:59:26 AM »

Okay, we already have a PBP forum (closer to the bottom of the page, labelled 'Welcome to the Shadows"), but I'm interested and more than intruiged by your idea.

Where do we post character ideas? Email them to you? Send you a PM here?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

SeekerOfPeace

• Fresh Fish
  • V for...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:49:26 AM »

Well, I don't want to give as little information as possible about the plot, but I've taken a long time to write it.

I'm really open to character idea. I just really want to start ASAP as I feel bad having this mission finished with no one to play it.

This is the first mission of three.

The first one takes place in an underground research facility. The Runners go and explore while ignoring what kind of research took place there...

The second one (should they survive the first) takes place in a space station.

And the last one... well... you'll see.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 07:37:10 AM »

:o

Wait... we're doing a gutter run, and then... going into space?
Someone needs to call my mom. Me thinks I need a new set of under-oos.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

SeekerOfPeace

• Fresh Fish
  • V for...
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:23 PM »

Well, if you survive the first one, yeah, you go to space.

Gilliam

• FNG
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 07:40:58 PM »

"Dusts off 3rd edition books....."

I'd be interested as well.

Do you have a problem with any  the books?  I particularly like the variable lifestyle rules-set (minus some of the edges and flaws found there), and, of course, I'll stay away from the design rules without having a good long discussion with you.

when would this meeting occur?  I'm ttrying to nail down possible time zone issues, as well as day of the week (I have a pretty crazy college schedule this semester).

my time zone is United States Eastern.
Lover of  Colors.

SeekerOfPeace

• Fresh Fish
  • V for...
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 07:48:52 PM »

Hello Gilliam,

As I only own the 3rd edition rulebook, I would rather if we stuck to it as much as possible. This being said, I am open to suggestion and compromise.

Although we haven't figure out the exact time we would meet I can tell you this much:

It would be once a week. We would pretty much meet once a week just like we would in "real life" to play Shadowrun.

Although we haven't officially which software we would use, we will use a chatting program like Skype, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger or MSN.

We would then proceed to creating a chat room where the game would take place.

This means the players (you) would type rather than talk.

I understand this isn't as fast as talking live, but it's much, much faster than play-by-post which are virtually unplayable as far as I'm concerned. PbP works well if you're writing a collective story, but if you plan to play a real game, with the combat and dice rolling that it involves... PbP just doesn't work. It kills the rythm.

This doesn't mean however that the actual typing would be mediocre. I mean, I wouldn't want people to type like:

"I opn the door 'nd i atak whats there"

Hope this clarify a bit. Before you ask, I'm using the prority system for character generation.

Keep in touch.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:40:10 AM by SeekerOfPeace »

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 11:56:30 PM »

acturly you could use paltalk wich would allow all to use voice
wish powwow was still sported it would be perfect even had automated dice rollers
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

SeekerOfPeace

• Fresh Fish
  • V for...
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 03:35:14 AM »

Hmm.. thanks for the suggestion. (Your avatar kicks ass by the way!)

Here's the problem though, some of us (including me) do not own (nor do I desire) a microphone. ;)

An integrated dice roller would be appreciated though.

Any thoughts, anyone?

SoP.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:39:26 AM by SeekerOfPeace »

Gilliam

• FNG
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 05:05:21 AM »

no real issues, I've got most of those chat programs.  I don't think any of them has an integrated dice roller though.

I'll stick the the main book then.  I actually usually have starting characters in my games do that anyway.

any particular place you are going to want a character posted?
Lover of  Colors.

SeekerOfPeace

• Fresh Fish
  • V for...
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 06:15:19 AM »

Hello Gilliam,

As of now, you may simply send me your charater by e-mail.

We will proceed further from then. You should be able to see my e-mail adress in my profile. If not, PM me and I'll send it to you.

EDIT: I've found this: NSRCG. It has a character generator as well as a dice roller. This will do nicely for the game at hand.

SoP.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 06:29:12 AM by SeekerOfPeace »

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 09:29:20 PM »

seeker most of us use the nsrg
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7652 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 17 queries.