Shadowrun Pub

• April 26, 2024, 10:43:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trid  (Read 2129 times)

swirler

• FNG
  • Yippy Flippin Skippy
    • goofygeeks
trid
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:52:50 PM »

okay its referred to often
and it's short for trideo

but what i want to know is, has iot ever been established how it works, as in, what do the standard trid sets look like?

I mean has anyone ever drawn a picture of it?
is it just some suped up super fancy version of tv or is it like holograms you see that emanate from some lower place or what is it?

any ideas?
has it ever been truly established?

I've wondered this for well aslong as Ive played shadowrun (off and on since about 91) and was not aware of it ever been nailed down

any of you chummers out there have any ideas?
"I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body. Then I realized, look what's telling me that..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:trid
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:22:48 AM »

Well, at one point, it is stated that Trideo is like an optical illusion version of a hologram. That is to say that it is not a true three dimensional construct like R2D-2 spits out, but more like looking at a parabolic mirror and seeing the image "floating" above it.

Dispite this, however, there seems to be a bit of an assumption for many SR writers taht trideo is, indeed a true 3-D image. So as far as your game goes, you can probably use whatever defenition you prefer to use. That is to say, whatever flavor you like to your games, use it. Just remember that as of 3rd Edition (and since I think the 4th Ed. setting sucks troll scholng I haven't gotten very much into it) you can't have free-standing, ambulatory holograms. So no copying Total Recal with a holographic "you." This, I believe, is the reason Trideo has alwys been left in the dark, so to speak.

And speaking from a completely consumer-driven point of view, once simsense came along, no one raaly developped TV much further. You want a more realistic experince than trid? Just plug in the datajack and you can BE Neal the Orc Barbarian of Karl Kombatmage, who the frag needs a hologram for that?

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

swirler

• FNG
  • Yippy Flippin Skippy
    • goofygeeks
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »

yeah i was never sure
i went back and forth between the hologram floating up and or down from something to the somewhat imaxish smallscreen that looks more real than say modern tv
"I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body. Then I realized, look what's telling me that..."

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 01:07:28 PM »

Well, from what I remember of Canon, it's a 3D image, but nothing photorealistic. It's apparent that they are trideo images.

I actually thought the movie Minority Report had a pretty decent version of the Shadowrun world. They even had the Sprawl.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 04:48:27 AM »

Good reference. I agree. I think one of the best things about Shadowrun Editions 1-3 was that eve though you have high-tech stuff, the game has a low-tech feel. That is to say, you can have Thor Defense Systems and direct computer/cerebral interface, but no orbital lasers or anime-style mecha. A free-floating, realistic hologram would just play into that drekky anime feel.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

swirler

• FNG
  • Yippy Flippin Skippy
    • goofygeeks
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 07:41:42 AM »

yeah
good call
and people wouldnt watch it (i assume) if it was hitchy and fuzzy looking
I havent seen Minority Report
it looked like it might be decent but I cant stand Tom Cruise so I avoid his movies like the plague

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 09:53:22 AM »

That movie is worth wathing for only one reason: the street doctor. Now THAT is how you run a shadow-surgery. I love one of his lines: "I'll pump you so full of antibiotics that I couls sew a dead cat into your chest." Ah, to be SINless and have a medical degree...

Gabriel

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 10:10:21 AM »

I don't know that the guy who did his surgery had a medical degree... I mean... did you see his nurse?

I always pictures street docs like the guy at the beginning of Payback- where he's obviously a doctor, but has enough bad habits to keep him out of the medical community, but has the type of skills that will make sure he has a good life.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 04:51:50 AM »

It's all relative. When you have a sucking chest wound, do you really care if the guy with the laser scalpel and hooker-looking nurse really has a medical degree? Not really much to lose at that point in your life.

Gabreil

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 11:03:21 AM »

Sucking chest wound? I probably wouldn't care who saved my life. Now, a double-eye transplant? Or a completely elective surgery for a cyberlimb? That I might be a smidge more particular about. ;D

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 01:46:54 PM »

I gotta say, I would NEVER have elective limb-replacement. EVER!

Gabriel

swirler

• FNG
  • Yippy Flippin Skippy
    • goofygeeks
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 01:47:49 PM »

/agree
only get em if your old ones go south

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »

Well, that's debatable. I mean, you can live without an arm, or leg, or whatever. You don't even need to be able to see to survive. To thrive in this life, yeah, it's probably necessary, but not to everyday survival.

Hence, elective cyberlimb surgery.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 09:12:41 AM »

Well, all I know is that any surgery is painfull and takes a while to get back to normal from. Even small things like a datajack will give you headaches for weeks afterwords. Until your system learns to cope with the new chrome, you are gonig to have all kinds of seemingly unrelated symptoms, and whatnot. So no, if it was just for election and not necessary to save my life, I wouldn't do it.

Of course I say this now. Back in my young scut days, I went under the laser a few times. After living a bit longer, and having more of the original equipment "upgraded", well, I'll just say that if it's for a laugh, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

Gabriel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7386 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 19 queries.