Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 11:01:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cybermod Idea  (Read 11086 times)

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
Cybermod Idea
« on: January 08, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »

Yo! Capt North here after a bit of a time away in la-la-land dreaming up new and weird ways to do things.. Lately been getting into 40k and gotta say, I like the idea of a chain sword.. that and been playing Gears of War and love the Lancer. This has brought me an idea for a cyber arm weapon mod that could be useful in more ways then one.

The idea is basicly a small chain saw blade hidden inside the arm between the wrist and elbow on the outside of the arm along the bone, when retracted it looks normal and fine, activated the cutting side of the blade pops out just enough to give it some cutting space (about an inch or so from the arm) while the rest remains hidden in the arm. I'm not sure how stats would work out or such.. but some basi ideas.. like say someone has some cuffs or such on you, with strong enough blades it could be possible to cut them off (though might draw some attention) the obvious melee applications, or even just being able to get through some doors and barriers easier.

Things that would make it impratical would be how dirty the blades get enless there was some sort of cleaning mechanism inside the arm to help with that. Biggest problem would be the chain breaking while moving either damaging the arm or hitting whom or whatever. something very not good as many loggers and such can attest.

Not a very subtle weapon, but if used properly could be a fairly effective one, hidden right it could look like little more then some weird parts in a cyber arm (or leg if someone wanted to get it between the ankle and knee) another peice of hidden equipment for when could be useful, a good tool for when one needs to get a door or such down quickly, or other such.

Any ideas on the stats, pratical, impratical, or other wise?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re:Cybermod Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:48:14 PM »

I think you would need at least a partial cyberarm- although a complete arm would be preferable. I mean, who wants to throw a chain into thier meat arm?

I kind of dig the idea, but how quiet would it really be? It's not like you could covertly cut through your handcuffs with something like this.

Other than that, I don't see a problem with it.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:58:53 PM »

well, depends on how its driven, seeing as its a little unwieldy to put in a gas engine thats gonna cut down some of the sound.  so it could be pretty quite in running when maintained, maybe a loud whirring or something from the chain spinning, so you might get a surprise hit or two with it if people dont know what it is, but im sure afterwards they arent likely to forget the noise.

Cutting through cuffs, maybe some special made mono blades or Daikote them maybe, that would make them a bit better at taking on something like a hand cuff. not to covert enless they leave you alone or such thinking you got no way to cut yourself loose. it would also leave you a good opportunity to least get one of the guys who cuffed you while taking off the cuffs, if your caught and cuffed, remaining covert is the last of your problems (enless your alone and able to cut loose and get away unnoticed, but even then if theres a guard if you can use the blades and keep it some what subtle you could keep things quiet and covert.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 05:15:16 AM »

Well first, the thing would HAVE to be a Dikoted THIN bladed device. All you have to do is look at your own arm and see that it would be very dificult to put in anything bigger. Second, the area around the deployment zone would have to be cybernetic or sheathed in something like a body sheath. You couldn't have all those teeth popping out of an insicion in your arm every time, it would shred it like ground beef. And lastly, something like this would be extremely impracticle for getting out of handcuffs or restraints. The only reason I say this is because the blades would have to deploy before they start moving, thus being outside of the body before motion starts. Any cop will tighten the restraints pretty well when he cuffs you, which would leave no room for the teeth to deploy and build up speed. THey might pop out, but the cuff would have to rest between teeth in that case, jamming the mechanism before it can build up the speed neccessary to cut the material.

Used as and obvious modification, like for blood sports or desert wars, hell yeah this might work. But other than that, I don't see it being a practical piece of tech for the average runner, or even security personell.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »

Yeah, hiding it would be tough, best for would be on some obvious cyber arms, though those draw lots of attention themselves. Open up, pop out. Onnes made with the synth flesh or what not to hide them it probally wouldnt work as well, need something to keep the skin from getting into the blade.

If could get the blade thin enough could do 2 diffrent blades side by side spinning diffrent directions, nough space between them to catch and chew what ever gets in them. but then theres risk of the teeth bending and catching on each other.

Blood sports would be fairly interisting, but not desert warfare, to much sand to get in, get ground up and grind up the insides. would need some insanely good cleaning system to keep it from wearing out quickly.

And as for pratical, how many people who go running look at a part and go "Well its cool.. but am i REALLY going to need it.. and is it REALLY gonna be useful..." *coughs*gun-eye*coughs*

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:25:55 PM »

*rereads the post and blinks*

Not to sound ungreatful on the input though. Kinda slipped into corpo sales mind set for a moment..

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 04:50:18 AM »

LOL, well I see what you mean about the practicality of it. After all, you have to assume there is a market for all of the cybernetics out there, or else they would never have been developed in the first place. I can see about half of them being targeted for military/security sales only. After all, why would Joe Auburn need a Implanted cybergun or a tracking mount or even wired reflexes 3?

And you have a damn good point about the cybersaw being choked up in desert conditions. I hadn't thought about that.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 12:36:08 PM »

well, with a proper cleaning system it could keep clean, might just require a bit more maintance.

And i could see a couple regular people (If you can call someone who doesnt feel the need to go breaking into corpo buildings and stealing/killing/kidnapping/so on and so forth to make enough nuyen to pay the rent "regular") buying an implanted guy for protection. Hehe, thinking a little hold out pistol in their hand is gonna stop a group of gangers from giving them trouble.. maybe getting off one lucky shot before the rest of the gang stomps them into a mark on the ground, then take the arm and try and sell it.

Also kinda remember something like that in one of the batman beyond episodes. bunch of punks blackmailed a cybernetics expert into making them a bunch of items, like armor that popped out of the skin and all other sorts of stuff. guy with the idea like i got, his hands split apart and about a 2 foot long chainsaw extended from the wrist, kinda like spurs. He could also do them at the knees (knee caps split apart and it extended from there.. seeing as he was a skinny guy im not sure how they hid a 2 foot long chainsaw in it..)

i think there was even a discussion on that before here...

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »

Yep, there was, and I was the one who brought it up. I think the general consensus was that it would be and entire limb modification with no room left over for anything else to fit in the limb. The blade was a dikoted super thin ceramic.

Still in all, I think it may be too undoable for anything other than delta-level cybernetics.

Gabriel

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 12:01:38 PM »

never had mucha a chance to check into the diffrent grades of cybernetics...

Oh well, was an interisting idea. hehe

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 07:19:34 PM »

It's a good idea. I believe that in the Cannon Companion for 3rd edition there is an entry for how a chainsaw behaves as a weapon in the additional combat rules under "Improvised Melee Weapons" or somesuch.

The mechanics would be half energy cell  and half bioelectric or a fractional sum thereof. Cyberlimbs are powered by the human nervous system and can operate without too much additional energy. However, if the chainsaw weren't DNI operated it might not have that function, or would have a less effective transfer from the body to limb to the chainsaw instead of directly to the chainsaw.

Dikote would be reasonable. I could see a troll with a very large chainsaw...
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 05:10:06 AM »

To get this thing to work the way you need it, it would have to be DNI. In fact, I can't see a cyberweapon of any sort NOT being DNI as part of the base Essence Cost.

Gabriel

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 02:41:51 PM »

ok... being as im so out of the loop and not able to find my books ATM.. what is DNI?

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 04:58:18 AM »

DNI = Direct Neural Interface. Basiclly, you have to pay extra Essence to link a device to your nervous system. For instance, a cyberdeck is designed to interface with your brain and be controlled (at least partially) by cybernetic interface, therfore the DNI cost is already part of the listed Essence. However, a fire extinguisher is NOT designed to interface with your nervous system, so you have to pay an Essence cost (I believe it is .1 or .01 or somthing) to link it to your nervous system and therby control it with your mind.

Therefore, my point is that any cyberweapon at all, no matter what design or modification, is already considered to be DNI as it's entire purpose is to be linked to your nervous system. It does no good at all having a cybergun if you have to use the other hand to pull a trigger. Imagine an oral whip with no DNI. How the hell would you operate it? Spit it out and then use your other hand to wiggle it around? Not exactly effecient design. So the chainsaw idea wouldn't need any kind of DNI cost, as it is already assumed to be part of the base Essence cost.

Gabriel

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »

aahh, ok, thanks for clearing that up... And the image of a guy with his hand near his mouth holding his whip tongue lashing at people...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7407 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.