Shadowrun Pub

• April 27, 2024, 07:25:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beauty and the Geek  (Read 2758 times)

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Beauty and the Geek
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:54:19 PM »

Anyone else watch this show? I like it.
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:Beauty and the Geek
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 05:03:48 AM »

Nope. I saw bits and pieces of the first season and just couldn't bring myself to watch it.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:05:58 AM »

nope, not interested
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Elena V

• FNG
  • (Insert witty/humorous quote)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »

Aw, it's fun.  The "geeks" are very likable and the "beauties" such easy targets...

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:26:47 PM »

Well, I like it. The beauties are (mostly) smarter than they give themselves credit for, a lot like most of the women I've met. A much smaller percentage of women have determined that men are all inferior, and a TINY percentage has decided that men and women are about equal.

Anyway, enough of my pet peeve on that subject. I like the show because (in this season at least- I never really watched the other two) the challenges are meant to teach both teams to grow- so the guys have social events that make them do things that they have no experience with- listening to women chatter about nothing, or telling jokes, while the women have to deal with real-life issues, which is something they're not used to doing either. In one of the tapes, one of the girls actually said "I don't worry about what's going on with other people. Sometimes, I think about what they think about me, like 'Man, she is so awesome!'." I kid you not. So they're having to learn about the world around them, rather than being so self-absorbed.

I like it because I can see that everyone needs a little bit of help getting to that middle ground. I was so one of those textbook nerds until I served a mission which required me to go out and talk to people and get rejected for two years. Without that, I wouldn't be nearly as social as I am now.

It's an enjoyable watch- so give it a chance.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Elena V

• FNG
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »

"...listening to women chatter about nothing."  

Aha, that's your opinion. :D  Chatter connotes something inane and lacking importance; suggests your dismissal of whatever a woman says as nothing.  

It might not be important to you, but in some way it's important to her.  That's what the whole lesson was about, after all.

And I'm stepping off my soapbox now.  :D

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »

"Oh, I totally stayed up late last night, watching my favorite movie of all time, Pretty Woman? I almost watched Titanic instead, because of that scene where Kate Winslet posed, like..." she moves her hands above her head, "...like this, so that Jack could paint her?"

The above would be classified as:

A) Meaningful conversation

B) Chatter

C) Mindless Chatter

D) None of the above.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Elena V

• FNG
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:25:11 PM »

Hey, maybe it was important to her.  That's what car stuff sounds like to me.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 11:42:33 PM »

Uhhh... her little dialogue had the sounds of something seriously scripted. I honestly doubt that Sophia was her real name. Or if it was, that detail was changed to fit her. I'd bet money on it.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 12:03:09 AM »

Sorry K_V, but E_V has a point.
It may not be the actual content of the words (I admit, it sounds like inane chatter to me often enough, but then, so does car speak), so much as the process of communicating itself.
A surprisingly small amount of the verbalization performed by humans is actually a transmission of information (well, relevant/significant information anyway), so much as it is a social bonding technique. "My Group" - "My Herd" - "My Friends" or whatever. Long distance mass comunication has muddied the issue somewhat, as has our claims of being an intelligent, rational species. As much as anything, and probably primarily, we talk to establish social interaction/bonds, not to transmit information.

Which is the longest thread on this board? in terms of postings and probably longevity as well? Correct: Padding, with so far almost 220 pages, and more than 3000 individual posts - more than any other sub-board here - many of which would be classified as spamming just about anywhere else. It counts almost 10 000 'views'. And I doubt anyone here would challenge you if you called that 'inane chatter'.
Even I have posted in that bloody thread!
It's part of what makes us a group. The shared, common knowledge, the shared referances, the in-jokes. Ever noticed how the padding thread has become a sort of in-joke in itself? How we warn 'n00bz' not to read it from the beginning, because there'sjust too much drivel?

Sometimes, indeed very often, it's not the content, but the act of communicating itself which is of interest, which is why (much to my personal dismay and dislike, I can assure you), that that inane chatter does have a certain validity.

That people then choose to chatter inanely over things like hair or car or bad movies ... well, says alot about people I find, don't you?

EDIT: Edited for further content, and ease of readability.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 03:31:44 AM by ROOTless »
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 04:58:25 AM »

Now THAT was inane chatter. ;) Just kidding, ROOTless.

However, that having been said, I agree that Elena_V has a point about someone vapid saying vapid things does not erase the fact that to that person, what is said is important or meaningful. But that doesn't mean I want to watch it. Stupid people get on my nerves. Shallow people get on my nerves. And I don't enjoy watching them interact with each other.

I alos realize that to many people out there, I fit both of those catagories, and to me, many other fit into them. I realize it is all relative. But it still gets on my nerves.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 07:54:03 AM »

N But that doesn't mean I want to watch it. Stupid people get on my nerves. Shallow people get on my nerves. And I don't enjoy watching them interact with each other.

Seconded.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Elena V

• FNG
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:26:15 AM »

I'm not entirely sure why I like the show, save that we're all voyeurs to an extent.  And I'm a glutton for punishment.  I sit there and stare at the screen and wonder, "How the HELL do these people really exist?"

Yeah, Sophia's talk was probably scripted.  But the point of the exercise was to learn to listen and not instantly dismiss that type of speech as 'mindless chatter,' for the reasons ROOTless says.  I'll be the first to admit that women do bond over things like that.  "Did you hear what happened to so and so?  Well, her boyfriend..." Blah, blah, blah.  We're gossip whores. :D  But that's how we bond; just like a guy and his brothers will pelt each other with airsoft bullets in the backyard, or run each other over with remote control cars.  So when men and women come together, it's a blending of two very different methods of communication that both don't typically understand.  So we have to learn to accommodate, understand, and appreciate the differing modes.    

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »

Yeah, but the only reason we don't include the women in the running-over with cars is because they get all mad. Hell, Jenn probably would've gotten mad if she had seen us running over Mark.

But when it comes to communicating, I'll listen even if I don't think the person is talking about anything important. Because it is important to them. And I have listened to a LOT of inane chatter. And I've been stuck listening to people who were just lonely and needed someone to complain to about thier problems... but I keep doing it anyway.

I guess that makes me a sucker. I know I certainly feel like it sometimes.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Elena V

• FNG
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »

It makes you a good guy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7389 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 17 queries.