Shadowrun Pub

• May 07, 2024, 01:30:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Skillsoft Jukebox  (Read 6274 times)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
Skillsoft Jukebox
« on: January 29, 2007, 02:08:13 AM »

Has anybody had people in their groups using skillsofts extensively?

in particular, the Skillsoft Jukebox seems... weakly described, and is giving me a headache right now.

From the price, it clearly has need of an amount of memory, but how much, and for what purposes?
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:Skillsoft Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:10:44 AM »

I had a player create a PC who used a TON of skillsofts once. THe thing was, his skillwire setup only had enough memory to hold something like 4 skills at any given time. So e got a Jukebox. The way it works is that the Jukebox can hold an additional amount of memory seperate from your skillwires, thus creating an extra resevoire of memory accessible to your skillwires. So if your skillwires can hold say 1000 MP (just as a round, working number) and you have 6 skillsofts using 200 MP a piece, you can run 5 of then through your skillwires. That leaves you with 1 skillsoft using 200 MP of memory that you pretty much have to keep in your pocket. Now, if you get a Skillwire Jukebox that has say 600 MP, you could slot 3 more skillwires of the same sive into it, and use them just as if you had expanded the memory on your skillwires.

Think of it as a thumb-drive for skillwires. You can access and use the memory on it, and however many skillsofts can fit onto it and not exceed your skillwire's rating. After all, loading a Rating 8 Pistol skill into a Jukebox will still not let you use it on a Rating 5 Skillwire rig.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:45:30 AM »

Excellent. That's a new place for 'im to spend a few yen.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:17:02 AM »

You know, if you really wanted to toss some Nuyen into it, have the Jukebox installed in a limb. Hide it from prying eyes, and no need for an external datajack and fiberoptic cable.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »

Yeah, Ruski and I toyed around with this idea, but we never really wanted to introduce it to our players- I mean, they have a hard enough time trying to max out thier character speeds and everything for combat munchkins. I didn't have the heart to tell them that if they installed skillwires, they could be good at anything they wanted as long as they paid for the chip.

We do work a little with memsofts- and linguasofts. But those are mostly for out-of-town runs, where we need to speak afrikans or arabic.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »

Just the math involved in keeping track of this system turned off all of my players on this particular piece of chrome. I'd love to have a PC with an "A" Priority in Resources and only a skillwire and multiple chipjack as cybernetics. You know, an ex-research subject for skillwire experiments who "quit" his job after slotting a really high rating stealth chip. Microsoft Stealth 6.2 complete with Sneaky Bastard Plug-In.

Gabriel

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »

Okay, I've always wondered how it worked when you had a skill rating in something that you slotted a chip for- does it augment your skill rating, or replace it?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »

It replaces it. Just remember, originally, you couldn't use any pools when you use a skillsoft. I believe Matrix has some chrome that lets you get past that, maybe an Expert Driver? Anyway, If you have a Pistols 3 and you slot a Pistols 5, you have a Pistol Rating of 5, not 8. The skillsoft always overrides the natural learning curve, after all, that's how it is designed. The skillsoft overrides what you think you know about something, over-writing it with what the chip does know. So no matter what you do know about the slotted skill, the chip is always in charge.

Gabriel

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 01:56:51 PM »

Okay, that's cool. That'd be a good balance- so I don't have to worry about characters with skill ratings of 12 or 13.

What's the maximum rating that you can have skillwires?

How does the expert driver work? (rules-wise, not anatomy-wise)

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 10:41:52 PM »

Skillsofts can have options: These options are similar to program options described in the Matrix Sourcebook. They modify the cost and size of a skillsoft but add bonuses. For example, the Customized option makes it so that the skillsoft will only work for the person that it is designed for, but it will reduce the size, double the cost, and improve its effective rating. Skillsofts can also have viruses and defects too. Pool-use is allowed with the DIMAP option (Direct Interpretive Memory Augmentation Programming) These options are described in Cannon Companion along with some rules for BTL usage.

The Skillsoft jukebox is just a box with chipslots which you can slot different chips into, the description should say how many slots it has. You need a datajack to slot into, however, so someone will know you're using one.

Skillwires are listed as having no maximum rating save for the essence limit. More skillwires = more essence loss. However, skillwires can essentially have a virtually unlimited power processor allowing larger (higher MP) skillsofts to be run. Program options usually do not put any extra strain on a

The Chipjack Expert Driver is placed inside a particular Chipjack (no jukebox usage) and adds a dice pool known as the Task Pool equal to its rating. Therefore, pistols 6 with DIMAP 3 on a Chipjack with Expert Driver 3 would be allowed to roll up to 12 dice on the first action (6 for skill rating + 3 for combat pool from DIMAP + 3 for Pistols Task Pool) If the chipjack is multi-slotted, the Task Pool can be used on any of the skillsofts attached to that chipjack that are loaded into the skillwire processor.

You may only have a number of skill ratings equal to your skillwires rating working at one time, however. This number is the ASIST rating, the total processing size is known as the pulse rating. The pulse rating can be changed with a simple implant surgery, whereas upgrading skillwires requires drastic invasive surgery. Skillwires are incompatible with Reflex Recorders, obviously. The Pluscode option reduces the demand on ASIST by its rating. Therefore, an Athletics 6 Pluscode 5 would cost the same as a rating 11 General skillsoft but would only count as rating 1 when accounting for ASIST demand. However, pluscode does not reduce the requirement for the minimum amount of ASIST rating. The previous example could not run on a  set of rating 5 skillwires, but those wires could run 5 copies of Skill 5 Pluscode 4 softs.

A min-maxer might take a dedicated implant chipjack with Expert Driver 3 with Skillwires 6 and a skillsoft such as Swords 12 (DIMAP 6, Implant, Customized) The implant option would cut the ASIST demand in half allowing a rating 6 skillwire system to use a rating 12 chip (Implant allows this, but pluscode does not, as the chip and soft are hardwired into the chipjack) the DIMAP allows 6 combat pool to be used, and customization reduces the actual size but adds 50% to the cost and gives a +1 die bonus to attack. Therefore the user could roll 21 (12 + 6 + 3 + 1) dice in their first roll.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 12:34:07 AM »

Holy crap. That is pretty min-maxed.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:32:28 AM »

Just the math involved in keeping track of this system turned off all of my players on this particular piece of chrome. I'd love to have a PC with an "A" Priority in Resources and only a skillwire and multiple chipjack as cybernetics. You know, an ex-research subject for skillwire experiments who "quit" his job after slotting a really high rating stealth chip. Microsoft Stealth 6.2 complete with Sneaky Bastard Plug-In.

That's almost exactly the character my player's building. ;)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 04:53:50 AM »

LOL, see. Tell me I can't anticipate players. ;)

And all of that stuff Retread posted, yeah, that's why my players stayed the hell away from Skillwires. It got WAY too in-depth (a.k.a. stupid) to be playable. Too many options. Too much redundant informtation. Too many ways to min-max.

Gabriel

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 06:39:37 AM »

Keep in mind that this particular soft has a design size of 2187, costing 699840 nuyen retail with a street index of 3.5 costing characters 2449440 nuyen on the street. That's not even including the hardware involved. Heck, the blank chip to hold the program will cost 10935 nuyen alone :D I'd say you're safe from this kind of problem
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 06:52:47 AM »

You may have a point there, Retread.

Gabriel
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7589 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 18 queries.