Shadowrun Pub

• May 20, 2024, 05:53:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sci-Fi "Original" movies  (Read 5327 times)

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
Sci-Fi "Original" movies
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:09:36 PM »

Ok. For some awful reason my family decided to sit down and watch a bunch of sci-fi "original" movies. Some reason they have been recording them on the DVR thingy and just decided to comandeer both tvs and start watching them.

For those that remember my rant about "Wicker man" well.. im way past there now. I cant figure out how they keep making movies like this, and why people are allowing them... I propse a petition be started. First, for every sci-fi movie they make, they have to cancel some of their crappier TV shows and bring back better ones like Farscape (I like it cause its weird, actual sci-fi, well done, and just reminds me of Shadowrun at times)
The second is an attempt to make the movies better in a not to subtle way.. It will hire a group of people to follow the people who write these sci-fi movies and watch them. they will read over these scripts and make sure they are standable at the least. if not they will start hitting the writers with a rolled up news paper shouting "NO! NO! BAD WRITER VERY VERY VERY BAD!!" while rubbing their face on the script. A second group will be there for screening to keep an eye on the directors, producers, actors, and so forth just in case so they cant muck this up either.
Come on now, Whos with me!!!
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Re:Sci-Fi "Original" movies
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 04:46:07 AM »

oh my god I hear ya Cap! Those have got to be some of the worst movies ever made1 Can you imagine what it's like sitting through a pitch meeting. Hey guys, I've got an idea! Let's make a movie about a chipmunk that eats a toxic peanut and turns into a mutant chipmunk that infects all the other chipmunks with it's mutantyness and they start killing off an entire town! We'll call it Chip and Dale Strike Back!
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »

On the other hand, they're getting valuable experience writing, producing, and dirceting sci-fi heavy scripts. And the Sci-fi channel is kind of a dumping ground for USA networks, who put anything they can't deal with on there, as long as it has a slightly sci-fi/fantasy feel to it.

At least the production values are getting better. I remember back when the sci fi channel used to have those lawnmower infomercials after a certain time of night. I actually prefer this slightly more refined version we have now.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 08:58:43 PM »

I havent seen anything getting better, its all about the same. and while i do think it is good to encourage budding writers, i dont beleive its good to encourage them when they write crap. Its the dumbing down of movies lowering the standard each time. "Who cares if the story is crap, if it looks good lets put it out there!"
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

BornKrazi

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 09:22:57 AM »

I agree with you.  I love USA Networks.  I'm a big Law & Order fan.  And I see a lot of Sci-Fi commericals (not to mention G Unit aka Granny watches Sci-Fi all the time) and sometimes they look half decent, but when you watch them, 20 minutes into you're debating whether searing your eyes out would be easier then changing the channel...

AJStarhiker

• Runner
  • I much prefer ice and snow to sand and rock.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »

Watching the original is like playing Battleship: Every once in awhile they hit...most of it misses.

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 04:51:08 AM »

exactly AJ. Most of the time when I see a comercial for one of those movies I think,"What in the hell are they thinking!"
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 05:03:24 AM »

I dont eatch Sci-Fi channel anymore except to wath Battlestar Galactica. Once they canceled farscape, well they went WAY down hill.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

AJStarhiker

• Runner
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:46:12 AM »

Sci-fi used to be really good.  Then they started with those paranormal 'reality' shows.  I'd rather see old reruns of good shows than a bunch of people looking for ghosts or whatever.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »

Amen to that.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

BornKrazi

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »

What channel is that "Ghost Hunters" show on???  That was interesting the first couple times, then I got bored and went back to USA again.

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 07:08:57 PM »

I cant even watch Battlestar galactica. its teeny angst drama for older nerds/geeks. imo at least, i just cant watch it for more then a couple minutes before it starts to get eh. I also started watching the Dresden files, but stopped quickly when they basicly started ignoring the book completely. The book goes by several forms of werewolves, hex, loupe, shifters, and couple others, but no blood lines and you cant get it by being scratched. couple days after i got done reading that story they start going on about how womans getting attacked cause shes a werewolf cause she got scratched by one. That and how little dresden actually uses magic and the other little subtle things.

Sci-fi's "original" means ignoring everything that has been set in the past or another series or book, and writing it however you like.
The only good thing i seen from them recently was Eureka, it looked interisting but seemed to fizzle out and died.

AJStarhiker

• Runner
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:06:40 PM »

Ghost Hunters is a show on the Sci-Fi channel (You couldn't guess by the topic ;))

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 09:11:13 PM »

Well, what about I-Man, also known as the Invisible Man, perhaps the coolest of the Sci-fi original series (I was never big on farscape. The ship was a little... phallic), and my personal favorite.

Of course, at the time, they had Farscape, Lexx, and I-Man, as well as whatever other projects I was trying to ignore, so I think most of them ended up getting cancelled, and that money funnelled into Farscape and Stargate.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »

heh, Ghost faker...

They walk around saying "Oop, i heard a spooky noise" and "did you see that!?!?!" motioning to things that they never show on camera.
i do beleive in ghosts, and even had my own experiences, but these guys are nothing more then fakes looking for some attention i think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7735 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.