Shadowrun RPG > Magic and the Planes

Adepts

(1/6) > >>

BornKrazi:
Okay so I've been going over the core sr3 book as well as MiTS...and I've yet to find a valid reason why adepts can't use sorcery except in astral combat.  Is there something I'm missing or simply overlooking?!  

Thoughts, comments, critisims, snide remarks?

Curris:
Well, it's not so much that adepts cant use sorcery, or whatever, but more so of which type of adept are you.

Adepts, and by that I mean physical adepts, get no sorcery, in exchange for access to adept powers.

Now aspected magicians, which use priority B for magic, same as adepts, can be aspected to only have sorcery, or only have conjuring. They can also be aspected to a nature domain, or element, using both sorcery and conjuring related to whatever domain or element they've aspected to.

All of these may Astrally percieve, but only Full mages (Mages, Shamans, or Psionicists) may percieve and project.

BornKrazi:
Exactly.  I was talking about a physical adept.  I understand that you are gaining the adept powers, but what I'm not understanding is that you can use sorcery in astral combat as a physad, so why not any other time?!

ROOTless:
What is meant by the statement that 'Adepts can use sorcery in astral combat' is not that they can actually cast spells in astral combat.
If you read the bit on astral combat (p. 174), you will find that in astral combat, one may substitute Sorcery skill for the relevant (un-)armed combat skill.
Adepts may do this as well.
That is all it means.

Adepts who do not have the Magic Power (MitS, p. 22) may never conjure nor cast spells. To aquire this power, they must prioritise to be 'full magician' (again MitS p. 22).
However, they can still make the same 'skill substitution' as other magicians.
Please not that, since most adepts are already highly trained in an appropriate close combat skill, this is not very often an advantage.

BornKrazi:

--- Quote from: ROOTless on March 03, 2007, 01:57:11 AM ---What is meant by the statement that 'Adepts can use sorcery in astral combat' is not that they can actually cast spells in astral combat.
If you read the bit on astral combat (p. 174), you will find that in astral combat, one may substitute Sorcery skill for the relevant (un-)armed combat skill.
Adepts may do this as well.
That is all it means.

Adepts who do not have the Magic Power (MitS, p. 22) may never conjure nor cast spells. To aquire this power, they must prioritise to be 'full magician' (again MitS p. 22).
--- End quote ---

So why then would it say "(Note using Sorcery in this manner does 'use up' Sorcery dice for purposes of spell defense, spellcasting, and so on.)" [p.174]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version