Shadowrun Pub

• May 04, 2024, 08:40:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Robotech  (Read 3791 times)

BornKrazi

Robotech
« on: March 04, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »

In one of the threads we got in the discussion about anime.  I expressed my dislike for such "cartoons" as I refered to them, but I made a promise that I would look into ones that you guys considered worth the watch.  So one of the series I got ahold of was a collection of Robotech dvds.  There are a total of fourteen dvds, composed of three series: The Macross Saga, The Masters, and New Generation.  They seem pretty old, the copyright on them started in 1985, but they were digitally remastered in 2001.  Any suggestions on which of these to watch?

<Note: I also have access to a dvd of The Ghost in the Shell which I'll also watch, but I have to wait a few days to get it.>

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
Re:Robotech
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 10:02:52 PM »

Well, the truth about anime is that it is the same as anything else on TV. Some is good, some is bad, and you usually have to dig through the trash to find good stuff. Of course, if you find something you like, you usually broaden your likes, and find that old trash actually seems awesome now. If you find something you like, expect it to spread. Anime is addictive. Which is a good thing.  ;)
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:22:26 AM »

man, robotech...I loved that anime. I watched that when I was a kid. And ghost in the shell is great. I recomend you watch Akira and Ninja Scroll
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:42:10 AM »

Now see, I like Ninja Scroll less every time I watch it. The story is ho-hum, and the super ninja girl spends all her time getting raped by every bad guy she meets. However, my girlfriend loves this one.

As for Robotech, I was addicted to that show when I was a kid. I don't like it as much now, but it is still a damn good series to watch, especially the original Macross series. I thought the others just fell flat. Robotech is one anime I know that has stood the test of time, and probably will for a long time.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Curris

• Grunt
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:03:02 AM »

Depending on your favorite genre of movies, I'd recommend.

Love story = Get any of the Tenchi Muyo series, Ah! My Goddess, or Love Hina.
Very cute and sweet, Tenchi and Love Hina have lots of comedy with the romance, and Ah! My Goddess is just a great romance, and it takes a lot for me to say that.

Action/gunfighting = Cowboy Bebop, Trigun. Welldone, with the added great music, and indepth stories.

Psychological "Makes you think movies" = Serial Experiments Lain. Best when watched when sleep deprived. A girl discovers the matrix (called the Wired in the show), becomes addicted and actually splits her personality. Her digital form is actually acting indepently of herself (In the sense that there are two separate identical people. Not just two in one head.). A good study of how people freak out when reality starts to bend. Good for wanna-be deckers.

You must see Neon-Genesis Evangelion. It's obstensibly a mecha anime, but it's got deep, deep symbology about family, religion, man vs. god in a war, social pressures, etc. In fact Serial Experiments Lain is like that too. I am a fan of the "Very deep symbolic, figure it out" type movies.  

P.S. FLCL, also called Fooly Cooly, aka Furi Kuri is a great show to watch! It is only six episodes long. But it is, how should I say it. On the surface it's a wacky, zany show full of funny moments and great action. Then underneath that is the huge depth that I've previously discussed. . . Made by the same people who made Evangelion.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:23:14 AM »

Another pair of good ones to watch, on a purely animation-value basis, are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. These films have beautiful artwork and animation as well as interesting stories. Princess Mononoke is a very well-written story of old world/new world confrontation. Spirited Away is more of a fairy tail, but very good none the less.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »

I loved Akira, Ghost in the Shell (as well as Stand-Alone Complex) and Cowboy Bebop. But I'm not a big fan of anime-style storylines. Robotech I think should be initiation for anyone thinking of getting into anime, but like Gabe said, Macross saga is the best one.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

BornKrazi

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 07:14:01 PM »

I think my brain just fired on anime overload reading this thread...I think I'm gonna go smoke...

Curris

• Grunt
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 12:51:29 AM »

Yeah, anime does cause smoking brain syndrome. Good luck with that. . .

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 04:59:08 AM »

Another pair of good ones to watch, on a purely animation-value basis, are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. These films have beautiful artwork and animation as well as interesting stories. Princess Mononoke is a very well-written story of old world/new world confrontation. Spirited Away is more of a fairy tail, but very good none the less.

Gabriel

ah! 2 very good anime's! If you like the samurai type show Samurai Champloo is really good also. Or how about something kinda horrer? Vampire hunter D isn't bad and Blood the Last Vmpire is good but short
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 06:33:40 AM »

See, I have gotten to the point where I really hate it when an anime goes from excellent art/animation to that stupid as hell "huge face to show emotion" or the ever-present "huge drop of sweat and no eyes" face. And the worst is the "huge streams of water bursting out of the eyes" style of crying. Typically, any movie/TV show I see do that is one that I turn off and never watch again. The only exception to this rule is Avatar: The Last Airbender. I love that show, and even if it's not a true anime, it has fantastic art and animation. The storyline is getting more indepth now as well. I can't wait until the second season hits DVD.

Gabriel

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 08:46:21 AM »

hahahaha... when I describe those anime faces to people, I call the one with all the tears "crying milk," because that's what it looks like they're doing.

I like anime, even if I am choosy about what I like, but I really have a hard time reading any manga. Think everything Gabe just described, X 1,000,000.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 09:02:22 AM »

2 oher good seris is witch hunter robin and wolf's rain
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »

I've been curious about Witch-Hunter Robin for a while. I may have to look into pirating some of those.

Gabriel

BornKrazi

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 03:36:40 PM »

Hey I like Avatar...that show rocks...and I just saw a preview that season 2 is now on dvd...I still didn't buy the first one yet.   What really sold me was when I watched the behind the scenes on Toph Bei Fong, her style of fighting is actually based on the Pry Mantis martial art and they had instructors actually fly in to help train them in the ways.  I think they did a great job on this show.  Nike gives me drek all the time cuz I love this show.

She rocks!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7552 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 17 queries.