Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 11:42:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Critters  (Read 11132 times)

BornKrazi

Critters
« on: March 04, 2007, 09:37:18 PM »

Now I read in one of the sourcebooks about you being able to own a drone that resembles a common house cat or dog if you prefer.  So naturally I'd assume you could own the real one pending GM approval.  My question is just what Critters are you allowed to own, or is it all pending a GM approval and a great background story on to how you'd own one?  Obviously you wouldn't have a dragon chillin in your house as a pet, but what if you wanted a Blackberry Cat (which I've read in a SR novel that some people did own them), or perhaps a Cerberus Hound for protection.  I personally thought it would be cool to have a Domovoi (Critters p.26), but I would use him purely for roleplaying purposes.  Although I'd imagine at a high enough force level he'd make for a pretty good "security system".

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
Re:Critters
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

In researching my character, Ark, I learned that Domovoi is russian for "Man of the house." which you could relate to a hearth spirit. They are generally benevolent and useful, like brownies or pixies of western mythology. But there are some bad Domovoi too. Learning is fun!
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:11:51 AM »

You know, I had a three paragraph response to this topic on why that is a REALLY bad idea. But somehow the board ate the fraggin' thing. So I'l l just say that owning and housing what amounts to an exotic wild animal is a BAD IDEA.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 02:33:07 PM »

My blackberry cat likes where he lives. He says I should go get him some more cat food...

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

BornKrazi

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:34:37 PM »

Obviously I see the cons, but you know there is always a backstory to how they owned them.  Perhaps if they found them as a youngin after slayin the mother, they probably wouldn't be as "aggressive" towards them. I dunno it was just an idea...

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:35:01 PM »

The problem I see with critter pets are that the ones who have the coolest powers are the ones who definitely don't want to be owned.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »

Notice to guests! Don't pet the cockatrice, or feed the Barghest!
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »

Well, let's look at this in a real world kind of way. How many people do you know who actually own a bengal tiger. Or how about owning a Rocky Mountain timber wolf? Or a full gorwn grizzly bear? No one. And you knwo why? Because they are wild animals and that makes them very dangerous. And even if you could get one, which is difficult but certainly not impossible, you would have to provide a natural habitat of some kind. You can't have a wolf living in the house, or a bengal tiger curling up on you in the middle of the night.

It works the same with paracritters. ALL paracritters. Blackburry Cats and Tallis Cats might be able to slip through the cracks simply because they are so mundane in appearance most of the time. I could even see a Gabriel Hound (maybe) being kept as a pet if it was taken early enough. But you always run the risk of having one of these critters freaking out and going for your throat. Any company/government who uses these things does it with handlers, not owners.

Just keep it in mind that if you let any of your PC's get something like this that they don't live close to anyone else. Trying to get a hellhound into an appartment is nothing compared to trying to get out once the building is in flames.

Gabriel

PS - Blackburry Cats tend to pick who they want to live with, not the other way around.
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:41:05 AM »

acturly knew a guy that has a mountian lion as pet that lives in his house
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 10:40:36 AM »

How did I know someone would throw some comment like that in. How many others can say they know someone who owns a wild animal?

Gabriel

BornKrazi

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 03:44:12 PM »

Depends on what you consider a wild animal?  Like the stray cat Tigger who lives outside that one day will make it into my house.  Or the llamas these people have in the town next to mine and milk them?

Nike Shox

• Grunt
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 05:19:04 PM »

Hmmm, that's just like the lady that lives like my grandma. She has Sugar Glider's (flying squirrels). They are cool as drek, they are so little and they climb in your hair and they hide so well you wouldnt even notice them. Ask Krazi, he saw them. They named them Peaches and georgia.. ;D

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 04:56:00 AM »

Yes, but they don't blow fire or hypnotise your or mimic other animales or eat your face off.

Gabriel

Nike Shox

• Grunt
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 11:30:10 AM »

okay, so they dont have too.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »

I think the point he was trying to make is that tree squirrels, while sometimes annoying, aren't going to roast you with a fireball, or possess your mind and have you jump off a cliff or anything.

I know people who have cats, but not a one of those cats can kill someone.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7407 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 19 queries.