Shadowrun Pub

• April 25, 2024, 08:41:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favorite Shamanic Totem?  (Read 10865 times)

Gilliam

• FNG
Re:What's your favorite Shamanic Totem?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »

truth, but I don't think it's really such a bad thing... it leaves shamans and hermetics on a more even keel.  

Sr3 had some issues in this regard.  On the one hand, shamans could summon reflexively, in the blink of an eye, but might not be able to count on a particular type of spirit, and on the other, a hermetic's spirits were much more powerful, and stuck around longer, but would take hours to summon, not to mention materials (which, in a low-nuyen game, were usually non-existent).  

If I'm wrong here, I'm sure Rootless or one of the other Sr3 guru's will step in and correct me.
Lover of  Colors.

Fortune

• Grumpy Old Shadowrunner
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Runner
  • Sensitive New Age Bastard!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »

If I'm wrong here, I'm sure Rootless or one of the other Sr3 guru's will step in and correct me.

No need. You summed it up nicely. :)
Chance favors the prepared mind!

Stone the Crow

• Fresh Fish
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 04:47:29 PM »

I'm not a big fan of Mentor Spirits / Totem Spirits at all.  They're just too generic and one-dimensional in nature.  If and when I'm "forced" to use one, I usually just create one from scratch that incorporates my character's tradition, cultural, and personal beliefs rather than try and shoehorn one that was written for Mr. T. Author's take on what that mentor/totem spirit should be for X tradition.

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
Re: What's your favorite Shamanic Totem?
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »

Don't know if you all saw these, but some home brew totems are cropping up as we may or may not actually get a game going in the (possibly) near future:

BUTTERFLY
Environment:
ANYWHERE

Advantages:
+3d ILLUSION and MANIPULATION spells
Character:
Probably the most benign insect totem; Butterfly is into ideas and concepts. Butterfly shamans are incapable of putting any master plan into action, simply because they loathe putting effort into their ideas. They are about the only insect totem that could be used as a PC, but they are not great shadowrunners (usually) because they don't like running around, beating up on stuff, etc.

Disadvantages:
They lose 1 die from Combat spells. Their dislike of direct action is a problem at times as well. Finally, any Butterfly shaman will eventually metamorphize into a Flesh Form Butterfly spell-caster, which is still not all that dangerous-- except to the shaman.
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »

BUZZARD
Environment:
DESERT

Advantages:
+2d WIND and DESERT spirits
+2d MANIPULATION spells
Character:
Despite years of bad press, the fact is that Buzzard is NOT a scavenger. Buzzard is a hunter, like Hawk or Falcon. Buzzard shamans are proud of this fact and are quick to point out to those who imply that they are less than majestic. Buzzard shamans tend to scrutinize things careful-ly and ponder all their major decisions for some time before deciding.

Disadvantages:
Buzzard shamans tend to suffer some kind of persecution complex; they think everyone else is dumping shit on them, or just being nice to their face and then talking about them behind their back. Many Buzzard shamans go over the brink of sanity into hardcore paranoia. They also tend to take a long time to make even simple choices.

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »

CHICKEN
Environment:
FIELD

Advantages:
+4d FIELD spirits
+2d MANIPULATION spells
Character:
More common than you might think. Chicken is NOT a coward by any means; she just doesn't go looking for trouble. Chicken shamans hate to antagonize anyone, or cause inconvenience in any way. They always seek the path of least resistance, unless that would result in someone else being fucked over. They are usually scrupulously honest and sincere.

Disadvantages:
Chicken shamans do not make great shadowrunners because they are always concerned about those who might be affected by their ac-tions. They are usually fairly socially awkward and introverted (+1 tgt penalty in social situation test).

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

DRAGONFLY
Environment:
SWAMP

Advantages:
+2d WIND and SWAMP spirits
+2d ILLUSION spells
Character:
Dragonfly is a deceiver. Like all insect totems, they are bad news to both the shaman and to those around him. Dragonfly lies, cheats, steals, and just generally seeks to get ahead by defrauding every-one else. Though they are not hive-minded, they are rabidly into repro-duction, so the shaman will soon find himself an egg sack if he refuses to get victims for the baby Dragonflies to follow. About the only positive thing that can be said about Dragonfly is that he is very, very adaptable.

Disadvantages:
Well, aside from having few (if any) friends, and a raven-ous taste for implanting egg sacs into living human flesh....

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »

GULL
Environment:
ANYWHERE NEAR THE SEA

Advantages:
+2d WIND and SEA spirits
+2d HEALTH spells
Character:
Gull is a noble creature; he is honest, honorable, and chivalrous. He is usually very concerned about higher principles and in the carrying out of duty and honor-- both for himself, and in those around him. He will never deal with dishonorable, ignoble people for any length of time-- and only to further a lofty goal or important achievement.

Disadvantages:
His principles often make him appear stuck-up in the eyes of the typical street-dweller. And, for all his posturing, Gull rarely does anything to help those of a "lower station" improve themselves-- he's content to be at the top and leave them at the bottom. Gull shamans are often rationalizing all kinds of things, especially when it comes to dealing with "scum and riff-raff".

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 02:49:01 AM »

3 dice is a lot...
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7369 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 18 queries.