Shadowrun Pub

• April 27, 2024, 04:33:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chaos Magic  (Read 3468 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Re:Chaos Magic
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »

I see what you're saying F3, so Chaos magic in general refers to any persons who practice magic outside of the set traditions?  Doesn't seem like Chaos is the right word, but I can't think of any other word atm.

Kid:
Yeah they should be able to, why not?  I think they'd more than like have to do everything solo, as most magical groups probably wouldn't want someone like that in their group (though I don't see why it wouldn't work in a magic group).

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 11:22:17 PM »

Well, if you're looking at it with an anarchist mindset (and most of American-produced Shadowrun has been without that for about fifteen years now), then chaos magic would not only be outside tradition, but it would actually throw off tradition- so if you did a spell a certain way, and saw a coyote shaman casting it the same way, you'd probably have to find a new way to do it.

I was just thinking, chaos magic as you described it (which I really liked, by the way), would be very powerful- almost overpowered, because a brand new character would be able to cast any spell they could think of, with no maximum power. A good handicap for that, I was thinking, is that chaos mages wouldn't be able to initiate, so higher-level magic would be beyond them.

But it was just a thought.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 10:04:37 AM »

That would make sense, you could easily say that advanced levels of magic would be too structured for the chaotic nature of the mage.  But at the same time, going along with how Chaos Magic is interpreted by individuals you could say that a person could eventually figure out how to initiate.  

Like F3 said though, after looking it up what I described is pretty close to Wild Magic from D&D.  Actually it's a pretty kewl idea, I may have to hold onto it for future use.  Would make an interesting bad-guy. ;)

I think in my game I'd end up calling the tradition 'Chaos Magic' in Street Magic something more along the lines of 'Modern Magic' or even 'Universal Magic'.  The description and mindset listed in Street Magic just doesn't feel chaotic if you get what I'm saying.  Maybe it could be called 'Munchkin Magic' or 'Min-Max Magic' ehhehe.  The tradition basically says it's a more modern look on the hermetic tradition, taking what works from other traditions and incorporating it with the hermetic foundation.  Could even call it 'Neo-Hermetic'

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7390 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.