Shadowrun Pub

• March 28, 2024, 07:38:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drones in SR, ever wonder what they're like?  (Read 2838 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Drones in SR, ever wonder what they're like?
« on: October 09, 2007, 12:17:19 PM »

Here we have the tractor based drone with a LMG turret:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/08/next-gen-killbots-boast-enhanced-friendly-fire-avoidance/

And here we have a microdrone set up with optical sensors:
http://www.therawfeed.com/2007/10/are-insect-robots-spying-on-protesters.html

So how far out until Riggers start appearing?

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
Re: Drones in SR, ever wonder what they're like?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:41:35 AM »

Depends on definition.

Clearly Remorely controlled drones are of today, not the future.

Similarly, I see no practical problems in designing a 'robot brain' (though there's a risk of programming failure etc.), so semi-autonomous drones aren't implausible.

If you mean people with a Vehicle Control Rig implanted, it's going to be a while yet. Implant Technology is still in it's infancy.
While recieving a signal is't off the scale, feed back still is, to the best of my knowledge.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 05:48:45 AM »

Well, you can see primative waldoes in all kinds of applications at the moment. They exist in surgeries where doctors use them for micro tools. They exist in a lot of college-level engineering programs, and I am betting they will start to exist in a lot more ways for things like manufacturing and remote-arm operations like bomb desposal robots. As far as implantation goes, I know of at least one successful experiment where a woman was implanted with a chip in the brain that let her control a robotic arm from across the room. I even posted in on here a couple of years ago. So my guess is that VCR technology will follow that kind of curve, implated chips interfacing with various systems as opposed to datajack-style interface. The original experiment was so easy on the woman because she was controlling a human analogue device: an arm. If you need someone to control a throttle a weapon system, then you are going to have to get a bit creative with the programming. But SR-style descriptions (especially in 1st edition) of riggers having sore legs after a strenuos drive, or bruises and bloody noses after a fire-fight seem to be fairly acurate.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ouija

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:36:58 AM »

Well I was unsuccessful in my quick search for pictures to back my statement, but I do know for a fact the government has several remote operation vehicles at their disposal.  So I don't think it is too far off in the future, I've had the privilege of seeing a MCC (Mobil Command Center) which had two pilots controlling six different "drones".  The amount of equipment and power needed to support those was incredible, so where I do think it's possible, I don't anticipate it happening in our lifetimes.

Interesting side note: They have this pretty cool plane with two or three cameras on it.  It's also able to equipment a small missile on the bottom of it.  The range is somewhere around 150-200 miles I think.  Perhaps that's a little much even.  They ARE very closed mouth about what exactly they are capable of doing, after all they are the government!

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:32:20 AM »

All you have to do is check the toy stores: http://www.robotsrule.com/html/roboquad.php
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7089 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 17 queries.