Shadowrun RPG > The Corporations

Renraku Arcology - OOC

(1/5) > >>

Ouija:
Overwhelmed in anticipation at finally having a moment to crack open the 4th edition book and actually begin reading (I'm one of those cover-to-cover type readers), I actually skipped through a few "minor" history lessons and straight to the section on the Renraku Arcology (Deus's Agenda in the book).  Ever since it went offline, I've never actually found out what happened.  And why 4th edition briefly (two paragraphs to be exact) mentioned it, I'm still curious.  What really happened? I know they had a book out on it, but I was never able to get my hands on it.  In fact it has bugged me so much, that I immediately put the book down and logged in here just to post this question. Thanks.

kv:
Yeah... we can give you the threads of what they were planning, but I think they kinda went apeshit with that plotline.

Short version: Deus is the AI for running all the systems in the Renracu Arcology. Renracu had accidently created an AI before, and they hacked it apart to make Deus. Deus went crazy, shutting down the Arcology, forming it's own band of dissonance otaku (the Banded) and then experimented on all the people in the arcology while trying to figure out how to make a metahuman body that would be able to handle the processing power needed to sustain its intelligence.

The UCAS comes in, tries to contain the situation, and learns that the CEO who is missing in Tibet was the only person who could shut Deus down. They get some shadowrunners, who take either the voice recording or the CEO himself in (I never played that campaign) in and shut Deus down.

For some reason, Deus survives the kill order, and apparently implanted thousands with cyberware to allow it to survive outside the arcology. For some reason, the earlier version of the AI fights for control of this group of individuals. Deus I guess wins out. I don't know. And then Deus decides to destroy the matrix or something, and then Winternight drops a nuke on him while the matrix crashes.

So, rather than trying to fix the matrix, the world goes to wireless matrix.

-kv

Gilliam:
That storyline did get really wierd... I wasn't happy with the Brainscan[tm] book... I never did get the missions to run smoothly... I went to run the segue (small interlude session) after the runners get the brain scanning tech, and my group just sold it off completely... making it pretty impossible for the group to survive the next mission...the module expects them to have the tech with them, and use it to identify a banded otaku that's been moved outside the arc, and kidnap him for a group of people opposing deus (led by Dodger and Morgan).

there were just too many opportunities for profit-minded players (most runners, actually) to make a perfectly legitimate decision to either abandon the campaign, or sell something off that they would need in the next mission, without having knowledge that they would need it.

I'm rambling now.... I'll stop.

Ouija:
So what happen to Renraku? If I remember correctly from 2nd edition, they were probably the most powerful and now they are just gone?!

kv:
No, they're still around. Not even a debacle like the Seattle Arcology can harm a megacorp. How many times has Aztech dodged PR bullets because they're just too big for people to be able to boycott?

-kv

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version