General > Technoweenies

Laptop unresponsive

(1/2) > >>

Zone:
My main computer (a laptop) refuses to answer the call to power up, so I'll probably need a new one.  All I do with the thing is word processing and the occasional game (was recenlty loaned Baldur's Gate II for example and no I never played Baldurs Gate)  Any suggestions on what I should be shopping for?  Or should I just find out what's wrong with the old one?  I am on a budget.  And I am not much of a geek  ;)

Ingo Monk:
How long have you have the laptop?  If more than 3 years I'd say you might want to look into getting a new one.  IMO after 3 years the performance doesn't justify the cost of repair.

Zone:
YEah, its at least 5 years old, maybe six.

kv:
Yeah, that's an old laptop. I would suggest investing in a new one. If you really want, talk to a geek friend or someone who knows laptops, and have them take out the hard drive and copy the stuff over to your new one, if you want. It's not too difficult- my brother did as much when my fiance's laptop died. But she just wanted her writing stuff and pictures off of it.

Anyway, new laptops are cheap, unless you want a gaming laptop (and by gaming, I mean frag-fest of uber1337 speed), which should rightfully cost you a pretty penny. Most other laptops are pretty cheap, especially if you shop around. I found one with all of the options I wanted, and then shopped around for the best possible price. It's three years old now, but it was top of the line then (minus one or two features), and it only cost me $1500 or so. I've seen places where you can pick them up for as little as $300, though, so whatever your price range, I'm sure there's a machine out there for you.

-kv

Zone:
Thanks for the advice guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version