Shadowrun Pub

• April 19, 2024, 08:31:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bringing it back to the old school: AD&D 2nd Edition  (Read 3085 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Bringing it back to the old school: AD&D 2nd Edition
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »

How many of you remember playing this?  AD&D 2nd was the game that introduced me to role playing.  Having never played before and not understanding alignments or mechanics or anything I was told I should be a paladin.  After 2 game sessions I lost my paladin abilities and became a mediocre fighter with a 17 charisma.  But boy was it fun... until I died haha.

Reason I mention it is because a buddy of mine wants to get into role playing again and is going to run this system.  In our group we've set up only he and myself have any experience role playing.  I'm going to bring my wife and introduce her to the concept of role playing (I hope she enjoys it!).

Let's share some experiences with AD&D 2nd! :)

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
Re: Bringing it back to the old school: AD&D 2nd Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »

Most of the people I know started out in D&D 2nd (except for one Cyberpunk guy, but he has issues)  My very first character was a Thief, I think he was either human or half-elf.  We played once, everyone hated the spotty geek who was DMing and we never played again.  That was high school.  I didn't play again until grad school - until then no one believed there was actually a female RPer in the world and was never admited to the geekdom ... and/or I scared them.  ;D
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »

AD&D was fun - played it for ages.

it wasn't my first game, but it was one I spent a lot of time with...
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:25:36 PM »

Our first game on Friday (5/1/2009).  Unfortunately my wife couldn't make it since she was up the night before very late studying for a test that day.  But she still wants to come to the next one.

It was myself and 3 others.  2 of them this was there 2nd role playing session of all time (their first was a marathon of D&D 4th edition, which they actually didn't like).  Our group consisted of a half elf fighter, elven druid, gnome cleric, and human mage (me).  Being a first level human mage I played him as I suspect all good role players would play: with a sharp wit and all too aware of his mortality (I had 3 HP!!).

We had a blast playing though.  We played a written adventure in the Forgotten Realms setting run by a good friend of mine.  I had never played with him as a DM before so I didn't know what to expect, though I was really excited just to have the chance to play.  He did an awesome job as we all had a great time until around 12:30 to 1:00 AM when everyone was getting dead tired.  We had been oblivious to the time until then, otherwise I suspect we would have called the game sooner.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:51:56 AM »

I agree 2cd edtion gives you alot more room to role play and isnt  just about numbers custmoizeing your charter is much better
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7325 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.