Shadowrun Pub

• April 24, 2024, 05:00:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting with two guns  (Read 2341 times)

Evilness45

• Fresh Fish
Shooting with two guns
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:11:57 AM »

I figured out how the normal rules works for shooting with two guns at once. However, my character is a guy that shoots his two Warhawk revolver one after another, using both available simple action in his pass.
Beside the -2 penalty I get from my "secondary" hand, I'd like to know if there are any penalty from doing so, such as lack of smartlink. The rules states that you lose the benefit of smartlinks (or laser sight) when firing two guns at the same time. Does it still applies when I'm using two guns one after another (firing gun A on first action, firing gun B on second action)?

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
Re: Shooting with two guns
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:28:58 AM »

just guessing here but would say treat it as if you fired 2 shots from the same gun
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »

Well looking at the book, it says you can shoot both guns as one simple action.  This means you can shoot twice from each gun for a total of four shots.  The main factor here is that when you fire both weapons you must split your dice pool between the guns.  Also remember that one of your guns is an off-hand attack (-2 modifier) unless you have the Ambidextrous quality. So if you have a pool of 8 dice you have to split the 6 dice between the two guns for the first shot.  You do not get any bonuses for smart link or laser sight and other ranged modifiers must be applied before you split the pool.

As an example let's say you have the mentioned 8 dice pool.  You are carrying 2 Ares Predator IV's, which have no recoil compensation.  It includes a smartgun system but you don't get to use it since you're firing both pistols.  If you're standing in street in broad daylight old west style you can in theory shoot at your opponent with both guns with 3 dice for each gun.  With your second simple action you get -1 recoil for each pistol for a total of -2, which reduces your dice pool to 4.  In the same situation you can shoot with 2 dice for each gun.  Remember you don't have to split the pool down the middle, in the first simple action you can shoot with 4 dice and 2 dice instead of a 3/3 split if you wanted.

Where it gets interesting is when you factor in ranged modifiers.  Say you're in a partially lit alley at night with cover (dumpsters and stuff).  Partial light is a -2 modifier and firing from cover is another -2.  With the initial pool of 8, you get -2 for off-hand attack, -2 for partial light, and -2 for firing from cover for a total dice pool of 2.  This can be split between your two guns for a pool of 1 die each.  THEN when you want to fire both guns as your second simple action you get a -1 recoil from both guns for a total of -2, reducing your dice pool to 0.  In the same situation if you were to shoot with your dominant hand you'd have a pool of 4 (+2 if you have smartlink since you're only firing one gun, so a pool of 6), then a second shot at -2 which would be a pool of 2 (+2 for smartlink makes 4).

In the alley situation you get to fire both guns a 1 die each, or you can fire a single gun twice at 4 dice then 2 dice.  Also don't forget about damage modifiers.

However if you want to min/max a character, you can always get the ambidextrous quality which eliminates the -2 for off hand.  Then you can max out your agility (or get cyber arms with agility boosters), and max out your pistols skill.  You can also specialize in a particular type of pistol for +2.  If I recall correctly at character creation you can have a single attribute at 6, and a single skill at 6 (with all others at 4 or less). 

Here's a quick example, obviously there's more options than this but I picked out something pretty basic to have a high dice pool.  It was a quick glance over, if anyone notices any errors please let me know and I'll edit it.
Agility 6
Pistols (Predator) 6(+2)
Muscle Replacement (4) +4 Str/Agi, -4 essence
Ambidextrous quality

This gives a dice pool of 18 for a single shot with an Ares Predator.  In the old west shoot out you could have a pool of 9/9, then 8/8.  In the dark alley scenario you could have a pool of 7/7 then 6/6.  But remember the opponent would also have cover which gives him a dodge bonus. 

I had a character once that had cyber arms with tweaked out augmentations, then enhanced articulation and super thyroid and all that jazz.  Totally min/maxed, but I made it so he would get his hoop handed to him in melee pretty much.  It was fun because of all the flair, and I was dropping 4 baddies per pass (remember to add another -2 modifier for attacking more than one opponent in an action).  Eventually it got tiresome, all the math each combat round started to get to me.... so I was just shooting each pistol once per round.  It made combat last longer for the rest of the group and we ended up having more fun.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

blackknight5k

• Fresh Fish
  • I rock hardcore, chummers
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »

just guessing here but would say treat it as if you fired 2 shots from the same gun

I believe this is correct, just remember the -2 for offhand (unless you have ambidexterity) and the penalty for targeting someone else (if you do)

Gilliam

• FNG
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »

Hey guys, long time no see.

That dice pool you have up there ingo, has a slight issue.  You've probably exceeded the augmented maximum for your race, unless you were thinking elf.  The maximums for agility are mostly 9, excepting trolls, and elves, off the top of my head.

so, quite possibly, you might want to give up thet 4th level of muscle aug : ::)
Lover of  Colors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7357 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.