Shadowrun Pub

• March 28, 2024, 09:42:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Games  (Read 3090 times)

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
Re: Video Games
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 07:40:25 AM »

Well. As a professional vampire hunter (and unwilling vampire) I approve of Castlevania. 3 of them in particular:

Symphony of the Night: you play alucard, draculas son trying to stop his resurrection and rampage. Originally on the PS1, but you can find it on EVERYTHING now, mobile, pretty sure on PC, xbox, ps4, switch, ect. Excellent action RPG exploration.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow: you play Soma Cruz, Teenager who finds he has a strange occult power to absorb demon and monster souls then manifest their powers, and is trapped in Draculas castle on the full moon and must work to stop his resurrection. Follows Symphony of the night, your character levels up as you fight and explore, get new weapons and equipment, and special abilities from the monsters you kill. Out on GBA and mobile.

And Castlevania Dawn of sorrow, sequel to Aria of sorrow. Your in a strange new town that harbors a cult attempting to resurrect dracula and must stop them. Much more refined game play, and your controlling soma again.

I have both for my 3ds  just cause they are fun to play with TONS of little secrets and combos and such. Easy to snag an emulator to run them, or like i did, get a 3ds or 2ds and pick up the cartridges. though prices seem to vary wildly where you look..
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »

Haven't tried it yet. Still slomo through New Vegas, finding lots of new shite beyond the run through, but the new season of Umbrella Academy got dropped so have been slomo through that instead of, recently. What a good show.
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 02:51:38 PM »

but the new season of Umbrella Academy got dropped so have been slomo through that instead of, recently. What a good show.
's not half bad. We're watching it too.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 09:33:28 AM »

Moved on to Fallout 3.  What difference, can tell there was a different writing team on this one, not quite as there.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 05:48:26 AM »

New writing team - is that good or bad?

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 09:18:54 AM »

Well, I have to say that the New Vegas team were better at story and character.  For instance, take the companions, good or bad they were memorable.  Raul was so frickin' irritating to me, his personality was like a passive aggressive cheese grater, but he was a real character, fully formed, likewise Arcade was such a toe in the sand introvert who was nevertheless a well armed sidekick that you wanted to run his quest, do him that favor.  And if you pissed these guys off for any reason, they let you know about it. I love that. In Fallout 3, Dogmeat, though a nice throwback, is a simple recycle, and the one companion I've managed to recruit is just a cardboard cutout with a combat shotgun.  Nice to have the extra fire power, but if he gets blown up, oh well.  He offers no quest, no pithy comments, no real backstory, and does that 'hominahomina' grumble under his breath rather than talk.  The fact that I can't recruit certain companions because of karma also annoys.  Granted I haven't finished 3, but I have to give the nod to New Vegas just on points for right now.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 04:48:11 AM »

That ... does sound like a downgrade.

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 08:35:29 AM »

yeah, new vegas was done by bunch of the original fallout guys, you can see it in other spots.

like old world things, 3 & 4 they act like the old world was some alien civilization and completely misunderstand it, seeing sports like baseball and hockey as major gladiatorial events where people would try and kill each other, and there is no possible way they could have figured otherwise.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2020, 05:40:57 AM »

:P, the finale for Fallout3 sucks, and really makes no sense.  Don't want to do spoilers, but they make certain options impossible for the PC even though they are utilized by NPCs earlier. I understand there are later updates that change that, but when you're working from the bottom of a box of old games that really doesn't come into play....moving on to the next Bethesda option, something called Skyrim.  Apparently, I'm the only person on the planet that knows nothing about this world.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2020, 03:03:59 PM »

Apparently, I'm the only person on the planet that knows nothing about this world.
Not... quite the only person who knows nothing about it...

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 03:38:58 AM »

<3 the Fallout series. I've played most the games in the series and I can tell you the writing was way better in the first 2 games. After that, business things happened and Bethesda ended up owning the title/brand/license or whatever. Bethesda makes decent games, but Fallout 3 definitely lost the charm from the first 2 games. I guess you could say Bethesda made the game more mainstream to bring in a new audience... which undoubtedly worked well. I personally do not hold it in high regard, kind of a forgettable entry in the series.

Fallout 4 is definitely better story-wise, and each companion has a story questline that will unlock special perks once you complete them. According to Steam I've spend 270 hours in Fallout 4, and I while I did complete the main quest and many of the companion quests, I didn't complete them all or get all of the Steam achievements for the game.

Skyrim is pretty great IMO. It's the 5th game in the series of which I've played 3 (#3 Morrowind, #4 Oblivion, and #5 Skyrim) and I've messed around in 1 (#2 Daggerfall) but never played it with any seriousness. My favorite in the series is #3, because it didn't have quest markers or important NPC markers at all. Really forced immersion! Tongue-in-cheek example: https://imgur.com/oNprBo4

Skyrim and Fallout 4 are built on the same game engine, so effects and physics are very similar.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 06:50:32 AM »

According to Steam I've spend 270 hours in Fallout 4

They count your time in?  Wow, that so wouldn't work accurately with me, I tend to wander off to go finish the laundry, go to the store, to make supper, all while leaving the game on, only to pop in and clear a quest target during the rinse cycle.  Yes, my weekends are that exciting.  The game could be running for 5 or 6 hours and I only actually played less than half of that.

I played Fallout 1 and 2 on PC a long time ago and when was recently bored had someone tempt me to New Vegas with the tease that one of my fave actors was a voice therein, so now I'm deep in Bethesdaland. 

I'm not sure if the Morrowind method of navigation would work for me, Ingo, I have a notoriously poor sense of direction that seems to translate into game worlds, too.

So I started two characters in Skyrim to run different paths, one is the noble warrior type, and the other has a moral compass that seems to have lost it's needle.  I wish I could rewrite some of the dialogue because what I really want to have Type 2 do is off the Dragon Lady of Riften and take over, especially since the silly cow doesn't know the proper use of a thieves guild.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 06:55:53 AM by Zone »

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »

Fallout 4 is definitely better story-wise, and each companion has a story questline that will unlock special perks once you complete them.

By the way, is Fallout 4 New Vegas?  Or is New Vegas  4.5 or something...

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2020, 03:34:14 AM »

By the way, is Fallout 4 New Vegas?  Or is New Vegas  4.5 or something...

New Vegas was released between 3 and 4, but isn't really "3.5" in that respect.  It is a "spin off" game but is canon as far as story goes... though all the games happen in different areas of the US so I guess it doesn't really matter. It didn't get a # because it was made by someone other than the primary IP owner/developer.

Summary:
FO1 (1997) = Dev Interplay, publisher Interplay, in game year 2161
FO2 (1998) = Dev Black Isle, publisher Interplay, in game year 2241
FO3 (2008) = Dev Bethesda, publisher Bethesda, in game year 2277
FO:NV (2010) = Dev Obsidian, publisher Bethesda, in game year 2281
FO4 (2015) = Dev Bethesda, publisher Bethesda, in game year 2287
FO76 (2018) = Dev Bethesda, publisher Bethesda, in game year 2102

Note:
Interplay dev house became Black Isle Studios which became Obsidian Entertainment. So New Vegas was made by some of the same folks who made Fallout 1 and 2.

Note 2:
FO76 is the latest but it is an online/multiplayer game with instanced quests so many don't consider it in the same vein as the rest of the FO games. It also happen way earlier than even FO1. It has a rough release but I've heard it's much better now, though I haven't played it.

Note 3:
There's a couple of other spin offs but they aren't considered canon so I didn't list them.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2020, 08:01:21 AM »

I have since been informed by more gamey times than I (yes, that's a double entendre) that 76 apparently sucked industrial.  Don't know if this is a pervasive opinion, and since it's online only I'll never find out, but it doesn't matter since apparently Skyrim never ends! so I'll be busy for a while yet.  Seriously, this thing just keep going on, and on. I suppose that you could just do the main story quest and be done, but that isn't me.  I have a tendency to have to dig out all the little minor crap and all the locations, and with this world, there's a vast array - though I did give up the thief quest since the third or fourth quest was a straight up assassination, not a thief's job. Yeah, the PC kills literally hundreds before the story is done, but when you're just starting out, it's better to be known for other things - I know, I think too much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7094 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.