Shadowrun Pub

• May 02, 2024, 12:16:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gabe  (Read 2643 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Re: Gabe
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »

...long time no see people :)
It's ROOT!  Nice to see you around again!

I moved! I'm now in PCC (Arizona, USA), so I've been trying to get on here and post from my laptop with a little 3G card. Not going great, let me tell you. :D

In any case, I'm still running a Shadowrun game. Does anyone here play/know 4th edition? I have an AI/Hacker who's tearing through my nodes, and I want to make things more challenging for him, without outright metagaming up a rabbit hole to swallow him or something.

I know this isn't really on the topic of Gabe or Facebook, but I thought it was fun to see everyone on, so I wanted to ask. :D

- kv

What I've found that always work is throw more dice.  Or, throw a bunch of dice, even though you already know the outcome of the encounter.  Plus I use a GM screen whenever I run games so they don't know the results (and don't know when I'm forcing an outcome to an encounter).  When someone gets real nit picky and are holding up the game then I remove the GM screen, look them in the eye, throw a bunch of dice down, and without flinching I tell them they failed.. even before the dice stop rolling.  It's mean, I know, but it gets my point across that the players aren't running the game and that one guy is ruining the experience for everyone else playing.  It's gotten to a point that my players won't run Shadowrun because the feel they won't get the experience and pace as well as I can, which is kinda sad because I don't get to play my favorite RPG. :(

However, if you want to go a more "legit" route, you could create a hacker NPC with a vendetta against your player (remember those background/history notes you made your players write for their characters?).  The NPC could show up at inopportune times to throw a stick into things.  I could load up the book and look at it in more detail if you'd like more ideas ;)

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re: Gabe
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »

Yeah, I actually ended up throwing an extra hacker at him. He wanted to know 'why?' and I made up some BS answer about the spider noticing something that he had failed at doing before- but later when I was running the attack, I noticed that syadmins needed a passkey, a physical token plugged into a commlink- something that an AI wouldn't be able to run, or probably wouldn't even think of.

So I was right to have the spider show up, and the hacker had to run off. Which makes me feel better.
I'll write up the run as a whole once we've finished it- and they're almost to the run itself at this point!@ YAY!

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7510 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 17 queries.