Shadowrun Pub

• May 02, 2024, 06:59:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kops and the Po-Po  (Read 1207 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Kops and the Po-Po
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »

Ruski, if I get a speeding ticket can I call you for advice?   ;D

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
Re: Kops and the Po-Po
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »

Sure. advice is free. *shrug*

if you are looking for 'general advice' the likes of which everyone here could enjoy, you can just ask it here.

If you are looking for more specific: "I was driving X.Y.Z. and Officer A.B.C. gave me a ticket, can you call him up and 'fix' it?" I'd suggest avoiding the public forum.

My area of expertise will of course be limited to traffic law in Cal-Free, but most States have similar laws, if buffered by slightly different nuances.

That disclaimer out of the way: ask away.

-Ruski
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »

I'm not needing advice at the moment, I'm actually a pretty conservative driver...mostly.  I was just asking you for future reference  ;D ;D ;D

The last, and only time, I've ever got a speeding ticket was on 101S just after I entered Santa Barbara county around 2004.  I vividly remember this experience since it was my first time being pulled over and I was so scared my heart was racing a mile a minute.  I had been driving my wife's car (though we weren't married at the time) with some friends for a weekend in Santa Barbara.  3-4 hours on the road, and no cruise control, and you kinda lose sense of how fast you're going.  Needless to say there was a CHP officer positioned at the bottom of this curving hill, such that you can see him until you're almost at the bottom.. which is obviously too late to do anything about it.  I knew he was going to pull me over, so before I even got to him I had already got into the right lane and slowed down.

CHP: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Yes sir, I was going to fast.
CHP: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: When I saw you I looked down and saw about 83.
CHP: I clocked you at 84 (shows me the back of his LIDAR).
Me: Oh wow!
CHP: (Explains that he used a LIDAR gun, and that they're serviced regularly for accuracy)
CHP: Where are you coming from?
Me: (I tell him)
CHP: How long have you been on the road?
Me: About 3-4 hours
CHP: Please wait a moment.

(goes to his cruiser for a few minutes, comes back with the paperwork)

CHP: Well I can't let you go, but since this is your first offense I need to get my point across... so I'm giving you a citation for going 75 miles per hour, which is 10 miles per hour over the limit.  This is going to be your fine (points to paper) and this is going to be your court date (points to paper).  Do you understand everything that I've explained to you?
Me: Yes sir.  Thank you sir!

Actually on another note, there was another time I was pulled over.  It was around 11:30 at night and I was on the freeway going home from my friend's house.  I was driving my dad's old minivan at the time, which had bad console lights.. bad enough that I couldn't see how fast I was going.  It was late enough that there weren't many other cars on the road to judge my speed on.  I was in the slow lane when I was pulled over.  I expected the guy to come on the driver side, but he came on the passenger side.  He used his flashlight to bang on the passenger window, which made me jump in my seat since I wasn't expecting him to come from there.  I rolled down the window.  He asked me the usual questions, where are you going, where are you coming from, etc. which I answered without hesitation.  When he asked me if I knew why he was pulling me over I told him I did not, to which he replied that I was going too slow.  Yes that's right, pulled over for going to slow on the freeway.  It can happen people!

Anyway I apologized and told him that it was my dad's van and that the console lights are bad so I can't tell exactly how fast I was going.  He then asked me if I was drinking because it smelled like alcohol in the van (which it did not).  I told him I had not, and that I don't drink alcohol at all.  Then he asked me if I had been taking any drugs because it smelled like that in the van.  Again I told him I had not, nor have I ever.  He then told me to look at him and he flashed his light in my eyes, probably to check for pupil dilation or something.  Then he told me I need to drive faster on the freeway because someone could be going faster than me and hit me.  I told him I'd take the next exit and drive home on the side roads, so he let me go.

Though I have to say, the next time I get pulled over on the freeway I want to sing the CHiPs theme song to the officer!  Hahahhaha.....well probably not, but I sure would think real hard about it! :P

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »

So, when ya' get stopped for 83 in a 65 (an 18+ over ticket) the fine typically works something like this:
Violation (speeding) $200
Court Processing Fee: $100
Additional Fee for each mile over the speed limit: $20 (X18=360)
Grand Total: $660.
Plus a point on your record, and a dent in your insurance rates. (and because it's over the 15+ 'threshold' you don't qualify for traffic school. no way to avoid the insurance hit. work out $50 a month extra for two years... an extra 1.2K in premiums)

Now, with a little courtesy: it gets knocked down to 10 over.
10 over dodges the $20/pr.mile.over you earn at 15+, you can still take traffic school (typically another $80) and most folks will walk away with a $380 price tag when all things are said and done.

so: $380 vs.  $1,860
We know that math. and it's not like the money goes to our houses.
when I get a little politeness, I try to return the favor. *shrug* not everyone feels that way. There are plenty of cops who feel it's a violation of their own personal moral code to 'lie' about how fast someone was going. (even to reduce the speed in someone's favor).
so that's my personal ethos. (and apparently whoever stopped you had a similar bend)

as a probable point of interest, I'll include for ya'll the things that when I encounter them; make me not 'pull my punches'.

Things that earn ya' both barrels of the shotgun: 
"I Wasn't going that fast!"
(Really? I just stopped you because I hate red cars? Maybe my highly calibrated equipment that I have to check twice a day is malfunctioning? Essentially this can be taken by the officer in a few ways:
1) You: Officer Jerk-face, are a Liar!
2) My car is more accurate than your car!
3) I admit nothing!
now, as officers, we've got to live and die based on our honesty. We are hired by the city/county/state to be impartial mediators and enforce the laws that someone else picks. *shrug* It's okay, we signed up for it.
But when we get called liars, it's not only just this one traffic ticket that comes into question. If we lie about how fast someone is going, then we could lie about how drunk someone was. and we could lie about where we found the murder weapon.  Every case we've ever worked on, with, or near gets tossed out because 'we could be liars'.
So: at that point, most officers have no choice but to defend their observations to the most exacting detail. We can't write anything less on that ticket, because it would be a lie, and if the mood of the stop is any indication, this one is going to court.

My recommendation would be almost exactly what you did. Be polite. Be honest. Getting off with a warning? probably not going to happen, Let's face it: There may be no such thing as a 'ticket quota', but the City/County/State gives us a big pile of money to do something, and if we did nothing? we'd get fired.
But softening the blow is something we can do.

Stop #2.
"I smell crime!"

Night-stops are less about tickets.  Those stops you can probably get away with a warning, because they aren't really looking for speeders and tickets.  The night-shift (Graveyard, or the 'Varsity Team") is looking for the bugs that come out from under the rocks when the lights go out.  DUI is the primary misdemeanor,  but vandalism (graffiti or otherwise), Dope (in all it's many forms and shapes), Guns, and whatever other villainy you can imagine are their focus.

"Do you smell drugs? I smell drugs."
*Suspect breaks out in a cold sweat and can no longer look you in the eye*
"uhh... uh... n.n.no?"
That's what we in the detective business call a clue.

Most drugs (alcohol included) cause physical symptoms that although not readily apparent to someone sitting still, if we pull a suspect out of the vehicle and conduct a series of field sobriety tests, it becomes very apparent, very quickly. (or shows us that they are good to go, it can prove things either way)
of those field sobriety tests, the eye test (Nystagmus to those in the know) can be preformed in limited form with almost no interaction by the person we are investigating.  It's an easy first clue that lets us know if we need to pull the person out and conduct more tests, or if they've been honest with us thus far.

Anyways, I know that's quite the wall of text: but I figured ya'll are good enough friends (You knew me back when I was just a hacker, before I became a cop)  So I could share some of the inside track with ya.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.  Some of the stuff is 'top secret'. (although any hacker worth their salt could get the answers I'm sure.) but I won't be the one to leak it.  I would just tell you that's confidential information and leave it at that.

so with that in mind: fire away!

-Ruski
6 X 9 = 42

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:58:00 AM »

I'll just lurk a bit here if you don't mind ;)
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »

lurk away amigo!
6 X 9 = 42

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »

I was once pulled over for screaming in frustration and going slow.
I lived in a podunk and had not motels/hotels near me so had to drive 20-something minutes one night to get to the town that did to to drop some visiting friends, then to get out, there were these circles and switchbacks and effed up walls o' street signs to navigate.  I was creeping along trying to read them hoping to escape when I got pulled over shortly after exploring the volume control on expletive expostulation and punching the steering wheel.   He asked what was going on and I told him in exasperated detail... with a plaintive request for aid at the end.  He took pity and told me to follow him, he got me out of the Labyrinth and I was free of evil town.  I'm sure I was the night's coffee chat. Considering the number of law enforcement friends I have I have remarkably few tickets  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:40:56 PM by Zone »
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7503 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 19 queries.