Shadowrun Pub

• April 23, 2024, 05:47:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MechWarrior!  (Read 1523 times)

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
MechWarrior!
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »

This is another FASA famous spin-off, I liked the RPG, and I've played nearly every itteration of the video-game.

also: apparently it's free now?
http://mwomercs.com/
Registered as "Ruski"

Interestingly enough, after what? 10 years of nearly no mechwarrior/battletech games, there's another set for nearly simultaneous release

http://www.playhawken.com/
looks very similar... and is also free to play?
*shrug* go figure.

although I will say the proposed controller for Hawken is a 'do want' for either game.

sooooo sweeeet...
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Re: MechWarrior!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:58:50 PM »

I registered for MWO also, "Ingo Monk"

Wow Hawken is free to play?  News to me, I registered for the beta months ago, maybe I'll get to try it out before its December release.

Actually, mech games have been popular in Japan, due to "mecha" anime.  A year or 2 ago Steel Battalion came out on XBox, the controller scheme looked like this:

Steel Battalion 2 is coming out on XBox360.  It's going to forgo the crazy controller and use the standard XBox one with the Kinect motion controller.  Kinda neat, stand up to climb up the top hatch and look around, hold your hands up to your eyes to look through binoculars, etc.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »

So: all this mech talk got me feeling whimsical, and as fate would have it, the old Mechwarrior:4/mecrenaries game was still hiding in an old cd folder!
I got about halfway installed when it asked for disk 2.
and uh... that one was not in the folder.
did a little research: turns out its free now (and not just 'the pirate bay' free, it's actually open license) and you can download it pretty easy.
so, I got it running on my machine... and Woza! did that game have a well-maped out keyboard requirement and the learning curve was steeeeep.
kinda cool though.
6 X 9 = 42

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »

heheh, yep, mektek.net

got it stuffed on mine as well. dont really play, i kinda perfered MW3 more.. but still some nostalgic fun..

THough i do have the Battletech 3rd edition RPG book here with me.. Which was made by, of all peoples.. Fasa.. :3
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »

Fasa had a really good run there for awhile.
I don't know what version, but I actually owned all (25+) books for the mechwarrior/battletech RPG.
It seemed to me, that while the miniatures portion of the game was well balanced, and you could have a small battalion of PC's dungeon crawl  their way through an adventure (*kinda like the most recent incarnation of D&D actually) the RPG portion of the game was... wanting. any time spent outside of the Mech's seemed to be wasted time. So, if you wanted to play a mechanic, you'd better be a pilot first, and a mechanic second. A psychic 'face' type PC? well, only if your two main focuses were piloting (Mech) and Gunnery (Mech). any other points were wasted.

Now, that could have just been my experience and particular group that I was running with, but the mechanics of even just getting into a bar fight were kinda weak in my opinion.

The explosion portion of the game though? Firing PPC's while jumping, and flanking over a mountain with your lighter and faster 20 ton mechs? AMAZING! nothing like it.
I don't know how many hours I spent trying to fit an AC20 onto my Locust or Jenner. but it was a lot.

We did get the game to work finally, (eventually)
Just made it 'all' in the Mechs. Gave everyone a set number of 'build' points or credits to buy and design their mechs, and then had them go to town on a big ol' map with GM controlled badguys. That seemed to work pretty well.
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7351 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 19 queries.