Shadowrun Pub

• March 28, 2024, 11:12:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SR4 Book Review: Street Magic  (Read 1295 times)

bull30548

• Grunt
  • I'm a llama!
SR4 Book Review: Street Magic
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »

I will not be intimidated by lack of responses I got to my first review.  This next review is on Street Magic.  This one actually has some personal importance to me.  This was the first expansion to come out and it also got released just in time for DragonCon my local science fiction convention. 

This book was a straight up topic specific expansion book.  In fact this is one of the reasons why it is my favorites because it sort of set the tone for future expansions.  The book was well designed bringing back a lot of info from previous editions as well as updating to the present time.  In fact this book also addressed some things hinted at in e-books that were released (I will review those later).  Now this book also introduced expanded mentor spirits, adept powers, and expanded grimoire.  It also had in it for those of you truly suicidal or homicidal in nature (depending on if you are a GM or a player) enchantment mechanics and spell design mechanics.   These mechanics were also the first taste of things to come with advanced rules.  Don't expect too much in the way of timeline references or story advancement in this book.

On the scaling system this books gets a 7 as it is a great edition but not essential if you want to run a simple basic game.  I also gave it a 7 for the advanced rule sets and the fact that this indeed a book that deals solely with magic but with all the things that make up the other parts of Shadowrun the Man and Machine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:12:33 PM by Ruski »

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
Re: SR4 Book Review: Street Magic
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »

Split this off so others could comment on individual books as they see fit.

Street Magic.

I have it. I think I even kinda read it once.
Not going to lie, I mostly bought this because I buy everything related to shadowrun, in the off-chance one of my PC's wants to do something spectacularly magical.

in practice, my runs are more mundane than not. I have a healthy sampling of physical adepts with their vegan powers turning their nose up at the street-samauri counterparts; but all and all it's more gun+hack and less magic/spiritual.

So, I have this book, but my runners never look for magical responses to things, so aside from some particularly nasty NPC spirits to throw at them, I haven't used this book for much of anything.
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7095 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 18 queries.