Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 08:20:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with Fiction.  (Read 1609 times)

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
Fun with Fiction.
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »

Let me tell you a totally fictional story with some eerie parallels to real life.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/chp-officer-stabbed-nine-times-by-man-on-riverside-freeway-overpass-.html

So: A Cal-Free Ranger is rolling around his providence when the call of pedestrian looking to jump off a bridge reaches his ears. The call location is 7 miles away, not too far. Wasn’t doing anything important anyways, why not go save a life? Or at least stop him from going through the window of a mini-van killing soccer mom. I’ve seen it happen, not a pretty sight.
We get a lot of those calls. Usually it’s a homeless guy with a cardboard sign climbing around in the bushes trying to take a hit off his 55oz mega-big-gulp with a little bit a coke and a lot of jack before going back to pretending to be pathetic and starving. Occasionally it’s someone depressed enough to look for a flashy exit.
Something in the description of the call, how it came out made me think this was the later more than the former. I’ve learned a lot over my years patrolling the wasteland.  A big one is to trust my instincts. When the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, I listen to them. I may not know the reason right away, but more often than not I can look back and say: “oh yea,… that’s where I saw that before.”
So, even though it’s suppose to be quitting time, and the call is someone else’s responsibility; I trust my instincts and blast up the freeway: 7 miles at 128 MPH =  3 minutes 16 seconds.
I had a buddy, a beat partner (the guy who’s call it actually belonged to) who puts out over the radio that he was just there and he didn’t see anything; further relating that he’ll go back and look again.
Go back to going home? Hmmm… no. trust the instincts.
I roll up on the location, and I see the red-white-blue flashing lights that indicate that someone else in authority was already there. My partner didn’t put out any traffic. Maybe it’s an allied agency? There’s a couple of city slickers that got their own enforcement deal, and while it’s my freeway, it’s their bridge. Maybe they got here first?
I run a light, activating my own code-3’s, and slide into an openish spot near the commotion.
Throw the car in park and jump out while it’s still moving. Standard operating procedure really.
I put out my radio traffic, that I’m here, that the jumper is here, and that someone else, I dunno who, is here.
Running up to the scene; I see a matching emblem to my own interceptor on the door of the patrol car already on scene. My partner, along with a mob of t-shirts and flip-flop wearing civilians are hanging on jumper’s leg. He’s about 15 feet up the perimeter fence of the bridge and all they can really get to is the cuff of his pant leg. Not much, but apparently enough to stop him from getting all the way over, he’s straddling the top of the fence, one leg bridge-ward, and the other is just hanging over the void and 32 feet pr second pr second away from soccer mom’s windshield.
Now I’m a hands-on type of guy, with 250 lbs of authority hung on a 6’3” frame. I get ready to jump into the frey when I hear: “He’s got a knife!”
Now, normally: a knife is a good enough reason to shoot someone. You can do a lot of damage with a knife. But: why are all these other people still hanging on if he’s got a knife? My buddy has his hands full, but he’s also got a gun and the same training I’ve got. He’s been on scene longer than me and he hasn’t shot the guy yet. Maybe he knows something I don’t?
That’s okay, I can help with all sorts of situations. I’m a helper.
And it just so happens, I’ve got a shotgun with bean-bag rounds secured in my trunk.
I use to think that was a stupid place for it. It’s not very convenient. You have to go open the trunk, get the case, open the case, get the shotgun, and then: you have to load the beanbag rounds. That’s a lot of difference between that and just grabbing the ‘real’ shotgun, which jumps into your hands loaded and ready to rock with the push of a single button.
But actually, it went quick.
Roll initiative. I go first. God bless fresh adrenaline.
Running: agility + athletics to get the key out and open the trunk.
Small motor skills decrease but grabbing a shotgun case with big ol’ handles on it isn’t terribly difficult.
Start running back to the party. It’s about 30 feet away.
Two steps.
25 feet away I get the zipper open; throw the case into the street. Worry about that later. Keep running.
Two steps.
20 feet away open the breech and combat-load the first shell.  Keep running.
Two steps.
15 feet away: Aim. Fire. Slow is smooth… smooth is fast.
Shotgun skill: Remmington specialization: (5) (regular monthly training + dove hunting + clay pigeons) Agility: 3
Base target number: Range: Short 15 feet.
Spent my movement running, target actively trying to dodge, (although hindered by my compatriot)... I’ll let the GM pick the numbers on that one.
End result: shotgun to centre-mass, no armour. Body of 2. (Why can’t crack-heads go to the gym?)  Stun damage fills up and then overflow into breaking most of his ribs (physical) He folds like a wet paper bag with a bowling ball dropped into it.
I’m halfway through the automatic muscle memory reload when I see my compatriot and his army of helpers swarm the guy. He was down for the count. There wasn’t a lot of fight left in him at that point.
Okay, breathe, widen the range of vision and focus on the environment a little more.
My buddy steps back. The civilians identify themselves as collectively off-duty from a handful of different agencies, and hand-cuff/hog-tie the suspect with precision that can only come from years of practise. No faking that. Okay, I believe them.
The smell of cordite hits my nostrils.
Cordite, and blood.
Blood? I look at dirt-bag. He’s not doing much… don’t see any open wounds really. Landing on his face from 20 feet up probably didn’t help his damage over-flow, but he’s still breathing.
I turn to look at my buddy. Minus an eye. His other eye still has lots of fire in it, but the long deep cut on his arm is pouring blood all over the Tazer still white-knuckle gripped in his hand. He’s also bleeding all over his uniform, a 2’ section from his ribs is steadily widening.  The blood from his side is racing up despite gravity to connect with another spot growing down from his shoulder.
He puts out “officer down” again over the radio. Crickets. I try my radio. Dispatch copies, and starts sending the world to our door. A small eternity later we have his larger cuts field dressed as paramedics arrive. They whisk him away and life goes back to its regular speed.
Another call comes out. I answer up. Someone needs to cover it, and it looks like we are down a unit.

No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Re: Fun with Fiction.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »

First of all, that's crazy!  So was that really you?  Why did they say "rubber bullet" when it was a bean bag round?  There's a huge difference, both in form and the amount of damage they do.

Second, let's pray for a speedy recovery for your partner.  I'm glad to read the injuries are not fatal.  Let's also pray he doesn't lose his eye!

Third, I'm actually a bit happier after reading this article.  It shows that many who chose to live the life of law enforcement have the dedication and commitment to do the right thing regardless if they're on the clock or not.  "It's not a job, it's a calling" is a phrase I've heard many times.  Articles like this, where 1 bad apple is countered by X good people, show that the world isn't going to hell.  Ruski, I would buy you a beer.  And your partner, he deserves no less than a case (after recovery of course).

- Ingo

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »

They had to remove his iris, and he needs a cornea transplant, but they are hopefull for full recovery.
6 X 9 = 42

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:09:21 PM »

I was interested to read this- and was anyone else tempted to find a way to punch people through the internet while reading the comments of the Times article?

"This fully supports whatever prejudice I already held!"

Ugh. Seriously, that needs to be invented already.

In any case; I'm glad you're okay, Ruski, and I look forward to many more gaming sessions.

Really, though, Agility 3?

- kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »

*shrug* you think 4? I'm no Olympic gymnast, I figure average is good nuff'
6 X 9 = 42

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »

3 is your average joe, not fit but not too out of shape.
4 is your regular athlete or someone who gets regular workouts and is otherwise fit.
5 is your olympic-class athlete, top of their game.
6 is the highest a human is supposed to be able to achieve, like a person who can regularly get golds in the olympics, perhaps like Michael Phelps.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »

Allright, 4 then.
6 X 9 = 42

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »

It was my understanding that 8 was the peak of physical, social, or mental perfection- 8 in charisma being the penultimate leader, 8 in strength being the human weightlifting champion or kung-fu master. It is possible to get there, but it's no crowded at the top.

3 being your average person, including couch potatoes- meaning that anyone who puts effort in is a 4-5, someone who runs marathons regularly would be a 6, so on and so forth.

That's where I was coming from.

- kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

It was my understanding that 8 was the peak of physical, social, or mental perfection- 8 in charisma being the penultimate leader, 8 in strength being the human weightlifting champion or kung-fu master. It is possible to get there, but it's no crowded at the top.

3 being your average person, including couch potatoes- meaning that anyone who puts effort in is a 4-5, someone who runs marathons regularly would be a 6, so on and so forth.

That's where I was coming from.

- kv
You may be referring to the Skill Ratings Table on Pg 98 of SR3.  Level 8+ is considered "world class" or "genius" level.  This is accurate for skills, since SR3 allowed you to increase skills ratings up to 2x the linked attribute rating I recall.  This is not the case in SR4, where skill levels are maxed at 6 just like attributes, unless the character has the Aptitude quality or uses other means (like adept powers).  The maximum modified skill rating is 1.5 times the maximum natural skill rating (6 for everyone), just like attributes.

SR2 had a table that was very good a describing the different attribute ratings, that's where I describe things from.  SR3 and SR4 don't have such a table, but each follow almost the same rules for maximum attribute ratings, except SR4 has qualities that let you change the max rating.

In any case, since SR3 6 has always been the maximum for normal unmodified humans (metatypes apply modifiers to that number).  Without tech or magic there is no way to increase your attribute beyond that, unless the character has the Exceptional Attribute quality (SR4).  I don't recall what the max natural/modified ratings where in SR2 and I don't have the book handy at the moment.

The maximum modified attribute rating is 1.5 times the maximum natural rating.  So for humans, this is 9.  Again this is only attainable through technological or magical means.  In situations where you have a +4 modifier, and increase your natural attribute from 5 to 6, you will still have a rating 9 even though the math says it should be 10.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:21:06 PM by Ingo Monk »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7398 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.