Shadowrun Pub

• April 18, 2024, 11:46:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns and DRM  (Read 1213 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Shadowrun Returns and DRM
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »

So I just found this, but HB changed their approach to DRM.  Not a big deal for me since I don't mind Steam but I know there are others out there who don't like it at all.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/13/shadowrun-returns-non-kickstarter-reward-dlc-to-require-steam/

EDIT: Actually here it is from the horse's mouth:
http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/whats-the-deal-with-drm-free-and-other-questions/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:09:24 AM by Ingo Monk »

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re: Shadowrun Returns and DRM
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »

Yeah, Steam requires DRM (I can't say I blame them), but if you're a die-hard anti-DRM person, you'll be able to download a copy of your DRM-free version directly from HareBrainedSchemes (which you then can upload to PirateBay or whatever Warez site strikes your fancy).

But the DRM-free version is only getting the first update- after that, it's abandonware, and the DRM-ed version will get new tilesets, options, and characters, as well as extensions of the campaign. I'm going to support the DRM version, not because I care about rights management, but because I think HBS deserves their nickel, and I want to enjoy the extra content that they can come up with (like the matrix stuff).

- kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

thanatos144

• Fresh Fish
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

I do dislike Steam but mostly because Internet is not always on at my house....It is low on the bill totem pole. But as long as I can play this offline I will live with steam.....Since it is digital I will have to :) It is when I own the disk yet still have to use steam that truly pisses me off....I found that out with fallout New Vegas ans home front

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »

I rather like Steam, for the pure fact that I've lost game install discs before.  If you buy through Steam (or any other digital distributor for that fact), you can always get your game back... assuming you created your account with the correct contact information.  I'm not really into all the badges/cards/whatever they have for games, but it's a convenient way for me to connect with gaming friends and play games together.

We should probably set up a gaming group for the pub.  On Steam my name is.... "ingomonk"  bhahahahah!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7320 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.