Shadowrun Pub

• April 29, 2024, 04:45:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pub will not die without a fight.  (Read 9687 times)

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
Re: The Pub will not die without a fight.
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »

heyyyo,

sorry i been silent, major job shift lately at work been leaving me... Out. Add on top dental issues, kinda.. not great lately.. :(

Hope all is finding all of you better!
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2019, 01:49:26 PM »

Out how? Too busy for life, or unemployed?
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2019, 08:44:49 AM »

to exhausted, tend to get home and just crash out, and almost no creativity for stories or game stuff. Pretty much becoming a wage slave and few my other shadowrun friends joking i should take to shadows, heh.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2019, 03:44:54 AM »

Ah yes. That's how it goes for so very many of us. :)

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »

Well, then one of us should hack the Lotto and share with all his shadowy friends who don't want to 9-5 it.
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2019, 11:22:58 AM »

Excellent idea!

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2019, 08:26:35 AM »

Aren't pipe dreams fun?  I still hold out hope that one day I'll find Aladin's ring in a lot of junk jewelry at a rummage sale some day.  Everyone knows about the lamp, they all have forgotten about the ring - even Aladin as I recall.  All the better for my fantasies  ;D  And if the home improvement fairy ever comes, I've got a list...

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2019, 03:05:29 AM »

... and as I recall, the ring is the original version of that story! :D

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »

i'll pass on djinn, they is dicks. Probably give you a ton of money.. but its all stolen and marked by that uv ink, or is counterfeit, or your just buried in a giant pile of it, or most wanted criminal gets caught putting the money into your bank account and now your getting investigated...

im fun when people try and use the Wish spell in D&D

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »

I can just imagine!

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2019, 04:38:43 AM »

Deck of Many Things.  These are so evil, you know you want to pull cards from this, and you know you should not, and if you get something good you just wish you'd declared for more pulls. 
There's a version here: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Deck%20of%20Many%20Things#content
but our DM was really good at customizing what was basically a D&D version of a cheesy game show. One guy got a camel  that loved the  the player like a hound dog, couldn't be killed or sold and insisted on sleeping in the tent next to the player.  He retired from adventuring after a while, it's hard to be stealthy when a half ton camel is padding around in your wake.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »

Deck of Many Things.
Always a wierd, chaotic thing.

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2019, 03:10:27 AM »

Story Time! Not SR related, rather D&D and Deck of Many Things related (and my favorite D&D story to tell). Grab your favorite beverage and strap yourselves in, this one's going to take a while.

Background:
Many many (many^?) moons ago, in high school a friend loaned me copies of the Dragonlance books (the first 3). I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) them and I told him as such, so he loaned me more while also inviting me to play D&D with his group. Planned? Probably.

As the most complicated and nuanced character in the books to me, my first D&D character was going to be a "red mage" inspired by Raistlin. I rolled stats, filled out the character sheet, and started my first game as a level 1 mage with a red robe, 2-3 spells, and a dagger. This was AD&D 2nd Edition, and my very first time ever playing any type of tabletop RPG. My first quest was to join an adventuring party (existing characters/players) and investigate a cave filled with goblins. We entered the cave and began the first round of combat where (not wanting to waste my decrepit spell list on goblins) I proceeded to critically fail swinging my dagger around. While I managed to avoid stabbing myself, I didn't manage to avoid falling on my face . Begin combat round 2 and I decide to roll to the edge of that first cave room as to remove myself from combat. Ending combat round 2 I look up to see a goblin grin and stab me in the face rolling 4 damage. Since I was a mage with only 4 HP this means my in my first 20 minutes of D&D I managed to successfully roll for initiative then critically fail a roll to attack and proceeded to get murdered with prejudice!

The DM was ruthless but fair, dice rolls happened in the open and they always stood whether they were good or bad. His approach would shape my approach to GM'ing SR in the future... but that's another story for another time.

Sitting down to roll stats for my 2nd character, among the scores I got a single 17. One of my friends recommends that I play a Paladin. After explaining it to me I thought it sounded cool so 15 year old me decided that would be my next character (still my first D&D session of my first tabletop RPG experience) and he "helps" me put the stats down where I ended up having an Intelligence of 8 since "warrior classes don't need intelligence". Thus was born Uther Pendragon the Paladin of War I was not very creative back then. The other mage of the group, a semi-psychotic whose gimmick was to paint his shaven head yellow while calling himself "The Mighty Lemonhead" (inspired by the candy he was eating at the time) convinced me that the God of War would want me to protect him so we could run around killing people and instigating conflict. I struggle getting through the rest of the session and I managed to survive while not being very Paladin-like.

A week later and we start my second D&D session. The DM hands me my character sheet and I notice next to "Class" what once was "Paladin" was now written as "Fighter" in very crude handwriting. He explained that I wasn't role playing a Paladin of the God of War appropriately and lost the god's blessing. Having gotten a little better understanding of the concepts of role playing during the week, we agree that since I hadn't used a single Paladin ability and my character's Intelligence was on the low side, the character probably didn't notice. We adventured for months as "Paladin Boy" and "Lemonhead" until ultimately the DM graduates high school and I moved onto other games.

Relevant Story (Finally!!)
Fast forward about 7-8 years where I spend weekends hanging out at a comic shop with mostly the same circle of friends. A new guy starts DMing D&D there and my same friend and former "Mightly Lemonhead" and I decide to recreate those same 2 characters for the sake of giggles. The DM took his games seriously and gave us a strange look at the description of "a semi-psychotic mage with a bald head painted yellow travelling with a dim-witted paladin of war as his personal bodyguard." We proceed to cause trouble and mayhem while creating conflict wherever we went, being true to the intentions of the characters we created. Needless to say this wasn't sitting right with a serious DM who didn't enjoy having his narrative disrupted by random and unnecessary battles.

The Dream
After several sessions we've established our roles in the party and the other players know what to expect from Paladin Boy. At this point in the adventure we're at a tavern in some town and Paladin Boy downs some mead and starts a bar fight, which is all standard fare for him. Afterwards he retires to his room to hang his chainmail and sleep off the alcohol. During his intoxicated slumber he dreams of a beautiful woman with flowing white robes who speaks to him...
Woman: "Greetings Uther."
Uther: "Uhh.. hi."
Woman: "Your travels will bring you to a place where the consequences of your actions will affect all those in the land. I offer you a quest. If you complete this quest, you will save the lives of many and be considered a hero."
Uther: "Does it involve fighting?"
Woman: "...uhh... yes?"
Uther: "Count me in."
Woman: "...oh.. okay...

After this the DM asks me what Uther does as he wakes up in the morning, to which I reply "don my armor and head down to the tavern for breakfast." The DM describes my entrance:
The paladin walks down the stairs in his shining plate mail. His holy symbol somehow glimmers off of an unknown light source in the dark tavern. He seems vastly more intelligent, and there is a sense of nobility emanating from him causing some peasants to feel they should kneel or curtsy as he passes.
This of course causes the other players to exclaim things like "what?!?", "plate mail?!?", "holy symbol?!?", "nobility?!?"
The DM then explains that one of the characters recognizes the symbol as belonging to the Goddess of Righteousness, which causes Lemonhead to exclaim "Oh crap, Paladin Boy became Paladin Man!" to much laughter.

In this new capacity, Uther lead the group on a series of quests. Some events of note:
  • While the group was on a ship travelling across a sea, they were approached by a sea dragon. The dragon threatened to eat the crew, showering them with a semi-acidic stench of its breath while bearing its teeth. Uther parleyed with the wyrm, offering to remove the bones stuck between its teeth in exchange for free passage of the ship and crew. The wyrm accepted, so Uther climbed into its mouth and proceeded to brush its teeth with a broom. The dragon was delighted, and let the ship and crew go free.
  • The same ship and crew landed in a port town on an island. The lord of the town insisted they turn back, and not heeding his command would create a political faux pas. Uther challenged the lord to duel asking for free passage for the party. Uther promptly won the bout.
  • While solving a quest to stop an undead menace, Uther found a small horse statue in the dungeon and took it as his only reward. His goddess granted it Paladin's Mount abilities when summoned.
  • While trying to destroy a "demon" threatening a kingdom, the party comes across a Deck of Many Things. Uther pulls 2 cards: Jack of Diamonds and King of Clubs. Uther's Constitution gets increased to 20 (granting natural regeneration and a HP increase) while his soul is sucked out of him. His goddess protected him (as well as 2 others in the party that pulled the same card) enough that he did not become catatonic, but nevertheless he felt 'empty' having lost his soul.
  • After defeating the "demon" the party discovered more of the demon plot, which involved an more powerful evil entity attempting to cause a war between the two local kingdoms. The party also discovered that this entity may know how to reclaim their souls. The party attacked the evil entity's fortress and in the final battle (which took 2 different gaming sessions to complete), the party defeated the even being, returned peace to the land, reclaimed their lost souls, and were proclaimed heroes.

And that my friends is the story of how my 2nd ever D&D character from my 1st ever D&D gaming session became one of my favorite D&D characters I've ever played. Hope you enjoyed living vicariously through my past!

Those last 2 points literally took 2 months of gaming every Saturday to complete. After those last 2 points we essentially completed the story the DM had written and at that point the DM had been running that game for well over a year and needed a break. We went on to play Shadowrun and more D&D, and even some obscure games like BESM and Feng Shui. Ah the days of my youth, where freedom was high, responsibility was small, and money was non-existent.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »

Nice!

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2019, 01:07:41 PM »

Sounds like we would have liked to include you guys with our bunch, Ingo :D  So Deck stories, huh...

My very first table top D&D character was a thief called Galen, he did absolutely nothing of note.  I think I played four of five times and then the group, never very dedicated, fell apart.  Girls, if I may say, have a hard time getting a D&D game together....fast forward to higher education and I respond to a poster in the student union about a gaming group and show up.  One was in a class of mine and we sat a talked about the group for a bit and he then took me to the bullpen to meet the other guys.
"Only girl here, huh?" I commented, unsurprised.
"Only girl some of these guys have ever seen," he responded.
After some snorting and grunting, characters were created and I created my one and only ever cleric - as a rule I don't care for spell chucking, and I certainly didn't think being the team band-aide was a great idea, but we were tank heavy and it seemed a reasonable choice for that party.
Tolamantha, elven cleric, in search of her missing cousin, joined a pack of adventurers going in her direction for safety in numbers. One of the party was Ooxii a fighter of very little brain, he was also anti-elf and anti-female. 
To make a very long story short, we found ourselves camped in a in the ruins of a chateau reputed to be haunted. Twizzle, our halfling, found a lovely rosewood box in the broken stump of an decorative pillar in what we surmised was once the master suite. Inside the box were beautiful, illuminated, translucent ivory tiles. Yep, a very pretty Deck of many Things.
I very prudently pulled once. Gained  +2 on my primary requirement.
Ooxii pulled four times, the maximum the DM allowed. One of his hirelings turned against him, but that had to wait until later when he hired someone.
He had to save vs. poison or suffer confusion for 2d4 months, he got the latter.
All magic items he possessed disappeared permanently.
And the finale, he gained a  wondrous item, which thrilled him since it was his only magical item.  A girdle he assumed was of giant strength, so slapped it right on, it was in fact a girdle of femininity/masculinity.
If he had been a better role player all of this could have been hilarious and fun, but what we got was a lot of sulking, but the DM was also ruthless, and he stayed a she.
I never played Tolamantha again, but she led to my best D&D character ever, her cousin, the half elf ranger who through no fault of her own wound up a god.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7409 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 18 queries.