Shadowrun RPG > SR5 (Shadowrun 5th Edition) General Discussion

Differences between Editions

(1/7) > >>

APOCALYPSE:
Hello Pubbers,

My kid is out of the house (if you can believe that or not, one more year till she graduates university) and my wife and starts boardgaming last year. This has finally led me back to my love of Shadowrun and interest from my wife so...
I have slowly started getting back into Shadowrun after many many years so have been slowly reading and reviewing the various editions.

I am starting with the 2nd Edition (mainly for nostalgic reasons and the book I first got) and going through the various editions. Obviously there is a sixth edition now.
So I’m debating to get each edition just for fun or just stick with editions 2,5, and 6. I’m assuming that 6 would cover previous history in previous editions but no ideas as I haven’t gotten that far yet.

Does anyone have any reference or know the differences between the editions?
Also, would just a 2nd edition and 6th edition be enough to delve back into the Shadowrun world?

Thoughts, advise, comments (good or bad) is welcome.
Look forward to responses.

ROOTless:
2nd and 3rd are very similar. So much so that 3rd mostly feels like a bugfix for 2nd. Except that the rules from Virtual Realities 2 became the default Matrix rule. ...and I firmly believe that to be an improvement.

I haven't played 4th ed or any of the later ones. As far I've been able to tell, they took the then-latest version of the Storyteller system, changed the dice from d10 to d6 and called it a day. And since that version of Storyteller wasn't much worth my time, I've stuck with 2nd/3rd edition myself.

As for the 6th edition ... I have yet to hear anyone utter a kind word about it. Sadly. I'd like to though.

APOCALYPSE:
Ok. Good comments. From research, seems to coincide with what you are saying and I believe your word over most of the internet....lol.
I’m buying a 2nd edition soon then thinking to collect the others as I can.
I think I mainly want to catch up on history as would be interesting to play in the various decades potentially.

Hopefully some of the other pubbers pop in with some comments.
Also, hoping to refresh and get lost in the shadows again.

ROOTless:

--- Quote from: APOCALYPSE on February 20, 2021, 11:42:38 AM ---Hopefully some of the other pubbers pop in with some comments.

--- End quote ---
That would be awesome!

--- Quote ---Also, hoping to refresh and get lost in the shadows again.

--- End quote ---
I know the feeling!

APOCALYPSE:
How often have others been dropping by?
I see Ingo and Jester and Kid Vid here and there.

I love getting back into Shadowrun.
It been an interesting journey back into the Shadowrun and shows me what I have missed all these years.
We literally have been boardinggaming and upping the challenge each time of games. I stumbled upon a deck building game called Shadowrun Crossfire Prime Runner. Surprisingly, my wife had been enjoying so she said maybe she might be willing to give the real thing a try.

This led me to the books and I have been able to find a lot in the Matrix which has been great. So I’m getting just the core response or books then downloading or printing the rest.
I found The London Sourcebook, Dunkelzhan’s Secrets, Harlequin among many other delightful ones that I remember.

It’s been really exciting and trying to just get the stuff I like.
Got a second edition on the way now then will get the third but just debating to jump to sixth mainly for history info and see what I missed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version