General > Reviews

Bright

<< < (2/7) > >>

APOCALYPSE:

--- Quote from: ROOTless on February 24, 2021, 04:04:24 AM ---Have now seen it. Enjoyed it.
Was it pure Shadowrun? No.
Did it remind me of Shadowrun? Yes.
Was it entirely watchable? Yes.

They leaned a bit more heavily into the racism thing that we've usually done, maybe (probably) because it's more of an issue in the US that here. Not that we don't have racists - we do! - but racial tension are less significant.

I also thought they leaned a bit heavily into the 'Damsel in Distress' trope with Tikka, while still leaving her big scene(s) predictable and even necessary.

But those are probably my main complaints. It was an enjoyable movie. :)

--- End quote ---

You summed up exactly what I thought. The one point that was nice is that it was actually a good introduction into the Shadowrun universe for my wife. She could finally appreciate my interest and her interest has been growing.
I guess my complaint about the movie is that there are a lot of plot holes and it felt kind of incomplete at the end at least for me.
Regardless a decent movie.

ROOTless:

--- Quote from: APOCALYPSE on March 03, 2021, 01:33:10 PM ---The one point that was nice is that it was actually a good introduction into the Shadowrun universe for my wife. She could finally appreciate my interest and her interest has been growing.

--- End quote ---
Ah! I should absolutely show it to my better half then! :)

Ingo Monk:
I watched it when it first came out. After watching it I felt that "magic lore" pulled those "Shadowrun" feelings out, but at the same time I felt that since it was set in a modern time it didn't have any of the cyberpunk from Shadowrun. Due to this it felt more like a Tolkien-like fantasy setting set in the modern world.

Still, it was an enjoyable experience.

Zone:
Finally saw this.  I agree with pretty much all your points, guys. Huny liked the depiction of fairies as pests particularly.  And we did note that it wasn't done as Shadowrun - as an explosive evolution thing introduced with the new age, but that the multitude of races seem to have always been co-existing. Could it have been better, Oh, yeah. But it was an interesting take on the urban fantasy thing.

ROOTless:
Could've been better. Could've been worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version