Shadowrun Pub

• May 02, 2024, 01:53:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33   Go Down

Author Topic: History  (Read 42979 times)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:History
« Reply #450 on: February 01, 2006, 05:54:02 AM »

That's spooky, chummer... :o

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #451 on: February 02, 2006, 01:42:28 PM »

Ahem! I believe I had a hypothesis that Deus is actually the Mad Passion "Dis." The Mad Passion of Bureaucracy and Slavery. The nature of Deus' manipulations and mind-control experiments lead me to believe this. However, I have no solid proof in terms of canon.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »

actually, on that one... I think we are all in agreeance. it's too spookily close to really be anything else.

wierd.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2006, 02:53:16 PM »

'Course. Fanpro would never develop anything like that, because I think they want to move away from Earthdawn references.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2006, 03:25:45 PM »

Yea, I get that feeling as well.
*shrug*

oh well, it'll just be an interesting part of history.

like NERPS.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #455 on: February 02, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »

I voted for NERPS for president.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #456 on: February 02, 2006, 09:16:06 PM »

I think a big part of that is that the current developers are like us- (well, not all of us), and played Shadowrun, but didn't expereince the whole FASA thing.

So when they're cutting out earthdawn references, mostly they're getting rid of things that they don't understand. I don't know how hard it would be to explain to everyone that Earthdawn and Shadowrun took place in the same world, about ten thousand years apart, but they don't want to do it.

I actually think it would be a cool payoff for those people who go out and read the old Earthdawn books.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #457 on: February 03, 2006, 07:05:36 AM »

I had always assumed that the company is headed by one of those young "synergy" types that wants to reinvent the wheel. Notably, I think the game makes more money in Germany than in the states so they focus on what that market wants.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #458 on: February 03, 2006, 10:39:08 AM »

It's all about the newyen.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #459 on: February 04, 2006, 11:10:19 AM »

Or the Deutsche Marques

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #460 on: February 04, 2006, 01:39:37 PM »

nope Deutsche Mark, if anything. Mind you, by now they switched to Euro, which I might add, are an abomination on the face of europe.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2006, 12:12:39 AM »

Right, got my linguistic idiosyncrasies. Isn't the Euro edible?

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2006, 05:53:41 PM »

Ahem! I believe I had a hypothesis that Deus is actually the Mad Passion "Dis." The Mad Passion of Bureaucracy and Slavery. The nature of Deus' manipulations and mind-control experiments lead me to believe this. However, I have no solid proof in terms of canon.

Actually that brings up a good point. Deus was designed as a "sociology" program. It was used to chart, interpret, and predict social factors within a given group, in this case the archology. When it went AI and freaked out, it just carried on with it's original programming guidelines of charting, interpreting, and predicting social interactions as dictated by situations it created. It used all of its programming to manipulate EVERYONE into doing jsut what it wanted them to do, thus living up to its original intent in action, if not in motive.

Now that train of thought got me thinking about the Keymaster (or whatever the frag he was called) in the Matrix 2 movie, notably the scene in whcih he and Trinity are on top of the car-carrier rig and he gives her the "key" to start the motorcycle with. Now, if he was originally a decryption prgoram, it would explain how his AI eveolved along the lines of "keymaster." The acrhitect was a system design utility, and the Oracle was an Analyze utility. So how would other programs react if the "X-Factor" that the rulebooks talk about occured?

As far as I know, there have only ever been 3 confirmed AI's: Deus, Megara, and the old Echo-Mirage AI whose name escapes me. Deus was a social program, the Echo-Mirage AI was a medic program, and Megara was just plain fragged up. What would a combat program or a piece of Black IC turn into with sufficient programming power and X-Factor? What kind of persovnality would emerge???

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2006, 07:36:27 PM »

Scary thought, really. But I found it sort of odd that there is shadowtalk mentioning Daemons created by Otaku doing things after their creator was killed. Very strange, indeed.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2006, 07:58:23 AM »

Well, nothing wrong with a signoff program.
Otaku can write code that stays on the trix' when they logoff just like any other decker.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7511 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.