Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 03:04:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Next New Century  (Read 26362 times)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Re:The Next New Century
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2005, 02:11:57 PM »

It would never happen. Too big of a target. One Thor shot owuld take it out anyway.

Gabriel

Is Thor the UCAS asteroid dropping satellite?

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2005, 02:56:11 PM »

well, let's say they have a reason to not fire on it.

M.A.D. anyone?

worked for the cold war.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Fortune

• Grumpy Old Shadowrunner
  • Runner
  • Sensitive New Age Bastard!
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2005, 04:34:13 PM »

It would never happen. Too big of a target. One Thor shot owuld take it out anyway.

Gabriel

Is Thor the UCAS asteroid dropping satellite?

Thor Shot are mostly Corporate controlled. The known Megacorps with Thor Shot capability are Ares, S-K, and Fuchi (presumably the tech of which went to Novatech, and now NeoNET in 2070). Think big rock from space, pinpoint accuracy (or near enough), big crater!
Chance favors the prepared mind!

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2005, 04:39:30 PM »

wait... so they magneticly pull a rock from space to strike a target? or is it a space based laser?

now, certanly there are things that they want destroyed but don't... what if it was like a floating mercanary city or something...

a resource they could use as a deniable asset, or perhaps if it was hauling toxic spirits galore, and on the chance that it was destroyed, would release them all upon mankind?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Fortune

• Grumpy Old Shadowrunner
  • Runner
  • Sensitive New Age Bastard!
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2005, 05:12:40 PM »

wait... so they magneticly pull a rock from space to strike a target? or is it a space based laser?

The tech is available now. You can google it (under Thor Shots as far as I know). It it basicallly either a rock, or a metal (usually cylendrical shaped) object, suspended in space, that is propelled towards a target on Earth, usually at the demand of the Corporate Court.

Incidently, in System Failure, Art Dunkwalther got on the receiving end of a Thor Shot from S-K, at the behest of the Court. Art's a pancake!

now, certanly there are things that they want destroyed but don't... what if it was like a floating mercanary city or something...

What?

a resource they could use as a deniable asset, or perhaps if it was hauling toxic spirits galore, and on the chance that it was destroyed, would release them all upon mankind?

Again, what?
Chance favors the prepared mind!

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2005, 09:57:24 PM »

I'm glad the corporate court convenes in outer space, you know, where nasty Shadow spirits and Shedim can't possess the court members...
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2005, 11:04:33 PM »

I think the thor shot is resvred for hackers trying to hack z-o
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2005, 05:49:21 AM »

Actually, they were first used as a deterant for terrorists in the Kingdom of Hawai'i. When one of these "warning shots" hit the ocean off the coast of Owahu, it released so much energy from the impact that it actually sparked lightning off of the water. These things don't even have warheads, they would be redundent. All they need is mass and velocity and they hit with the power of a meteor strike. You could, literally, blast a target off the face of the planet.

And the scary part of this is that the tech is very, very simple. The US government could have them floating up there right now and it is not only within the realm of possebility, would be a bit stupid if they didn't have these. A projectile that hits with the force of a meteor, leaves no fallout, can be guided in with fins, a retrorocket, and GPS transmitter, and is CHEAP. Hell, I'm surprised we even develpoed the MOAD at all.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2005, 09:38:22 AM »

*shrug* perhaps we do, and just haven't found a good time to use them yet?

okay, this is what i was thinking;

let's say you have a 'flying fortress' based off of the disengaged ayers rock or whatever. something that floats arround, and is protected aghinst magical assault for whatever reason.

if; for storyline reasons you let this city 'get off the ground' it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have a good reason for the corperate powers that be to 'not' destroy it.

it could have fail-safe nuclear counterattacks installed, so that it nukes the entire planet if it detects a thorshot coming down at it, or there could be political reasons, such as if the indidual corperations each had a stake in it (magical research; or a dumping ground for corperate assets that need to be moved, but not destroyed.)

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2005, 05:45:29 PM »

I imagine all the nasty spirits it has trapped inside it would be deterrent enough...
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2005, 06:10:11 AM »

Not if they are trapped inside. If they are able to manifest, then yeah, you have a problem. If they are trapped, who cares, right??

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »

well, let's say if they blow it up, the previously trapped 'nastyness' gets out... that would be a good reason to not blow it up...

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2005, 09:14:51 AM »

That wouldn't work, at least not for any of the non-free spirits. If you destroy the rock, you destroy the spirits. It is ther domain, after all. It's like building an archology in the middle of a prairie. By doing so, you destroy the prairie, which destroys the spirit of the prairie.

Gabriel

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2005, 10:03:59 AM »

Hmm... i wonder if thats how toxic spirits come about? some spirits don't want to be destroyed, so they twist themselves to fit with the new domain?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2005, 10:11:38 AM »

Toxic spirits are made twisted or become twisted because their domain is corrupted by pollution, toxic waste, other nastiness, etc.

As far as I know they follow the same rules, if their domain is somehow removed then they would be removed.. unless they can somehow change their domain.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7396 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.