Shadowrun Pub

• April 27, 2024, 01:42:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SR4, AKA: Beam Me Up a New Editor, Mr. Scott.  (Read 8053 times)

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
SR4, AKA: Beam Me Up a New Editor, Mr. Scott.
« on: October 17, 2005, 12:46:53 AM »

I love SR4, and am halfway through reading it, but... sweet baby Christ, their editor is utterly, thoroughly, exquisitely incompetent.

I've only been reading Shadowrun 4th Edition for 152 pages so far, and I've already found 160+ grammatical, syntactical, spelling, punctuation, and even a few contextual errors.  (I am not counting errata, of course).  It's literally an error or two per page, which is utterly unacceptable and startlingly shoddy work for a professional editor.  He (or she) should have read through the final draft of SR4 several times before approving it!  In one casual, halfway-completed read-through, I've found dozens upon dozens of errors.  Some examples (these may not be exact errors from the book, but they get the idea across):
  • The Travelling Period: "...on your next turn ." {Space, then a period.}
  • The Lovebird Words: "...down onyour character sheet."
  • The Goddess "Isis": "...why is your character is a Shaman?"
  • The Evil Twin: "...if you do, than you can take an extra turn."
  • The Ghost Period: "...on your character sheet" {Period is fully absent.}
  • The Rappelling Period: "...your character's lifestyle
    ." {Period placed at the beginning of a new line rather than the end of an old one.}
You guys may think I'm some sort of asshole for nitpicking so extensively, but this person is a PROFESSIONAL EDITOR.  Even President Bush is better at his job than this guy.  What a waste of space.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 12:50:57 AM by Pimp-Boy 2000 »
"There goes one of God's own prototypes, some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production . . . too weird to live, and too rare to die." — Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:SR4, AKA: Beam Me Up a New Editor, Mr. Scott.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 06:05:24 AM »

You know, I have to go with PB2K with this one. I've noticed this kind of thing happening more and more in novels, rulebooks, and just about any other printed text. It seems to me that these "professional" editors are begining to think that running spell check on your rough drafts is good enough to send something to print with. Personally, it makes me want to vomit. You've all read my posts. You all know I can't type or spell to save my life. And if I can point out all of the errors in a book, then something is drasticly wrong.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 07:26:09 AM »

LOL perhaps it's flavor text? you know, from the 'hackers' who invaded the datafile... hackers that can't spell...

and uh...

hmmm...

-RuskiFace the Pirate (I didn't really notice, but I'll fix thoes next time I edit the source file)

No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 09:11:57 AM »

No, spell check would have caught every sentence with a missing period (and there are QUITE a few of those).  So... they didn't even use that!  I know what you mean, though, Gabriel.

This is why I hate, hate, hate the fact that we're approaching entering an era where no one is required to be a master of English language composition -- even if their job demands it.  Editors are the last line of defense between a perfect book and one riddled with errors.

This little editing situation truly hurts Shadowrun.  As Gabriel mentioned, it doesn't take an insane English wiz (like yours truly) to notice these errors; some folks will begin to think it's a subpar system -- consciously or unconsciously -- based primarily upon the shoddy editing work.  When the editing is perfect (as in Blue Planet v2), the game truly stands out as excellent; it lifts the game up.  When the editing is bad, it brings the game down, makes it seem less... intelligent.

I wonder if FanPro needs a new editor?  Bah, they won't hire me... I don't actually have a degree yet, and demonstrating one's editorial skills off the cuff is always difficult.  Whomever their current editor is, I'm sure he's complacent and has a bit of tenure around his workplace, and God forbid you replace someone these days on account of mere incompetence and job ignorance.
"There goes one of God's own prototypes, some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production . . . too weird to live, and too rare to die." — Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:00:58 AM »

Well, as a Capitolist; I'd have to agree with the sentament that getting rid of someone on the basis of their cost to ability ratio being skewed. While at the same time i'd also like whoever their 'legacy' person is to keep his job, for the sake of security. he's probibly got 2.4 kids to feed.

-RuskiFace the pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:05:17 AM »

Well, as a Capitolist; I'd have to agree with the sentament that getting rid of someone on the basis of their cost to ability ratio being skewed. While at the same time i'd also like whoever their 'legacy' person is to keep his job, for the sake of security. he's probibly got 2.4 kids to feed.

-RuskiFace the pirate

Sorry, I prefer meritocracies.  If he can't cut the cheese, he needs to go back to school.  What if I'm poor, and have kids to feed, and I can do his job better than he can?  It's better for me and for the company and for the company's product if I have the job.  If you bring the company and the product down, you're deadwood and need to be removed.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 10:06:43 AM »

That's the Capitolist way, and why we have un-employment.

*shrug*

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 12:09:29 AM »

Tsk, tsk, PB2K...

You should know that a meritocracy and capitalism can't be compared because one is a form of government and the other a form of economy...
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 11:34:44 AM »

But, if we were nice loyal comunists, we'd just take our miss-spelled books, and burn thim to cover the heating shortage that was making us freeze to death.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 01:30:52 PM »

Er... aren't heating bills going up like 70% this year?
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 02:04:26 PM »

not if you don't turn on the heater, and just warm yourself by a fire in the fireplace, and put your cold feet on your husband's back in the middle of the night, and steal all the covers! then make that same coverless husband go downstairs to make you something warm to drink in the moring before you get out of bed.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 01:30:52 AM »

Voice of experience?
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 07:57:07 AM »

Perhaps.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 08:19:52 AM »

Well, I'dhave to say probably.
Sounds like on of the joys of being married/starting living together with someone.
And since we all know you were married not too long ago...
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 08:54:18 AM »

LOL okay okay, I confess.
Been married for two years now though.
(Dunno if that's a long time or not... it's kinda a long time for california in general... LOL I've had a couple of friends get married after me, and not all of them are still married.)

In other news, although only slightly related to what we are talking about, and not related at all to the topic at the top of the screen, we are trying to have a baby, so; that's cool. anyways... uh...

who want's a job as an editor? suppose we'll have to outsource that to china for $ 0.25 / day?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7390 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.