Shadowrun Pub

• March 28, 2024, 05:25:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: serenity  (Read 3768 times)

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
serenity
« on: October 17, 2005, 08:11:06 AM »

When I walked into my local geek-shop to finally pick up a copy of SR4, I was astounded to discover a new book: Serenity RPG.

Now, recently i've become thoughtfull as to how a good system could work to do spaceships and guns and such, Battletech does the spaceship combat wonderfully; but sucked royally at the RP part of it. Shadowrun does H2H okay, as well as incorperating guns; but the vehcile combat gets fuzzy if you do anything other than drive a car down the road.  the other systems i've tryed all had their short falls; Star wars had a lot of difficulty putting any sort of space combat into the D20 ruleset; and as far as I could tell everyone would be better off using swords rather than guns for combat as far as the rules are set up (and I have problems with a knife winning in a gun-fight)

after watching the Movie Serenity, I was re-kindeled with this desire to find a good RP system for spaceships. and, they kindly made one for me. It's not D20, it's not D10. It's an independant system, really simple (but not so much as D20) it's got adjustable power levels, so you can run a simple, complex, or heroic level campaign, it's got a good space-ship creation enginge in it, It's got a well rounded PC creation system (skill and attribute based, much like SR)  and to top it all off; it's got a couple of pages in the back that'll teach you how to swear in Chinese. (I spent more time on thoes pages than any other LOL)

Basics: each attribute gets one Die.
D2 if you suck at it.
D6 if you are decent.
D8 if you are better than average, etc.
topping out with the D12; for the truely godlike.
same thing for skills;
when you try to do something you roll bouth the dice; and add up the total.
(hit someone with a sword; you use your Strenth D6; and sword skill D4, and add them together.
then they roll their Quickness and Dodge skills; add them together, and if they are quicker; then they get to dodge. if you are quicker; you hit, and roll for dammage. if they have armor; you subtract the amount of armor from the dammage (typically one or two points)
you can adjust the target numbers by who's doing what; full attack, defencive attack, or full defence.
(sound familiar)?
basicly; it's like shadowrun, but instead of counting hits and rolling 40 dice; you just add two dice together.

it's a well ballanced system (from what I can tell) I plan on rolling up a couple of test PC's and ships, and putting it through a test run next week or so. I'll let ya'll know how it goes from there.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
Re:serenity
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:16:12 AM »

What I've heard about Serenity isn't so good.  Some feel it seemed rather rushed, and that the game system is not quite solid.  People HAVE said that the starhip creation system is good, though.

I hope you like the sytem, Ruski, because that's what matters... but my usual sources tell me "stay away".  Still, I've never read the book, so I have no way of knowing.
"There goes one of God's own prototypes, some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production . . . too weird to live, and too rare to die." — Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:40:48 AM »

*shrug* it's overly simple, so if you are use to the more complex game systems, this one is still in it's baby phases. (it's got one book, it's not even a players guide and a GM's guide)
and that could be something to turn you off of it. but for me, i'm more interested in it working smoothly and how I picture it in my head than if it takes into account the exact amount of radiation produced by a hydrogen reactor.
(they can put that out in the second book) LOL

-RuskiFace the Pirate

for me, just learning to swear in chinese is worth the price of admission.
6 X 9 = 42

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:41:55 AM »

I speak Chinese, remember?  All you need to do is ask. ;)
"There goes one of God's own prototypes, some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production . . . too weird to live, and too rare to die." — Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:46:17 AM »

LOL, Actually I thought of you when I read it.

I may be posting some of the rough english sound translations here for you to cretique, although some of it is slang and won't translate well, even if the words are close to sounding right.

*shrug* however, even if it's not, It's still funny that they put it in there. I like the flair it adds. if you want to play this game, and tell someone that they will burn in hell for raping monkies, it's got a good instruction set to do so. I don't know if mothers of the world will enjoy that addition when little johnny goes and picks this up and starts calling his baby sister a whore in chinese, but I like that about it too. LOL

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:48:04 AM »

I agree, it IS good that they included the Chinese slang (like mei mei, which means "little sister"); adds a lot of flavor to the game and the series.

Now, we just need to invent the Or'zet and Sperethiel languages for Shadowrun like they did with Klingon.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 10:49:23 AM »

Well, it's at least close to a real language.

if someone trys to speak klingon to me, I always have a sudden urge to punch them in the face and laugh.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Pimp-Boy 2000

• Vault Dweller
  • Runner
    • Duck and Cover
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 10:51:52 AM »

ROFL... that's a healthy urge, by the way.

If you're going to learn a language, for God's sake, people, learn a real one.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 10:55:58 AM »

and I don't know how many times a day it would be usefull to be able to swear at someone in chinese!

probibly at least 10.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 05:26:50 AM »

all I wanna do is learn the swear words
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 06:13:46 AM »

See if you can find the PDF and then just save the last few pages. ;)

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:07 AM »

Yea. I carryed the book arround for a couple of days trying to memorise them.

actually... I still have it in my backpack... I should start that again.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »

I'm still worried that this is a one-shot flash in the pan game. If the core book has been out for a few months with no follow-ups at all, then it seems to me like this is a self-contained, no-more-material situation. :(

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 09:40:27 AM »

Well, it's got a website.

http://www.serenityrpg.com/

and they are coming out with supplaments for it.
*shrug*

it's got a nice BBS community with most of the desigeners posting regular-like, so you could go ask them yourself any questions you may have.

and I think that's pretty cool.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 07:13:45 PM »

About learning real (and therefore useful) languages.

I have learned spanish. In my whole life, I have used it once outside of the classroom, but that's ok, since my audience also spoke enlish.

I also know these "not real" languages. Gargish (read, write, and speak), Celtic/Brittainic Runic (Read/Write), Esperanto (R/W/S)

I use those about once a week.

They are entertaining, and make great ciphers.

As for punching any Klingons, and laughing, it's okay. They'd do the same for you. . . You'd be giving them what they want.

also, the Spethieriel and Or'zet language DO exist.

I direct you to this. http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Sperethiel_Dictionary.htm

and this
http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Orkish.html

I have a PDF as well, which goes a little more indepth on both of them too. Scan your local P2P servers.
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7093 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.